Home Sex & Relationships
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

Am I being unreasonable?

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
It's my girlfriends birthday sunday, she's having a party on the saturday that I will obviously be attending then staying over to give her her presents sunday morning and take her out for breakfast or something.

I've spent a lot of money on her and got her this ring that she's wanted for ages (but she doesn't know about it).

Anyway, after the breakfast she's going to see her nan in the hostel (she's dying of cancer) and then she's going back to her mum's house for birthday cake. She knows I don't like cake but she still expects me to go and wait in the foyer of the hostel for an hour or so whilst she sees her nan with her family.

Don't get me wrong, I know it sounds cold hearted but I feel like I'm completely intruding big time considering her nan is dying and all her family are going to see her.. I don't want to be stuck there, it's far too awkward for me. We've got a cake sorted for her party so it's not like I'm missing it out completely. I've told her this and she started having a go.

Her family are fairly sound, but I don't feel like that's the place for me to be at all. Do you think I'm being out of order?

Comments

• Options
    No, you're not.
  • Options
    I don't think it's out of order. A good friend of my mum died recently and I didn't go to the funeral, because I knew her, a little bit the family and _nobody_ from the extended family. It would just make me uncomfortable when all those people whisper around who I am, etc.

On the other hand, if it means so much for her and you can't get out there without some serious rumble, suck it up and go. It's her birthday after all and I don't think you will have to frequent the hostel to see her nan. It's probably just this one time. You don't want to cause a ruckus, do you? I think this time it's better to give in.
  • Options
    I agree with Strubbles. Although it's not going to be fun for you and I can see how it's going to make you feel awkward, chances are she may well be upset after seeing her nan and will be really needing your comfort and support. If you really don't want to hang around in the foyer, go in with her and her family, then ask her if she'd mind you going out for a bit (to the shops or for a walk or whatever) while she's in there but make sure you're back in plenty of time to be there for her when she comes out. Like I said, I can see why you wouldn't particularly enjoy having to wait around for her, but it's her birthday, someone close to her is dying and I think you should try to put aside your own feelings just for this one day.
  • Options
    StrubbleS wrote: »
    On the other hand, if it means so much for her and you can't get out there without some serious rumble, suck it up and go. It's her birthday after all and I don't think you will have to frequent the hostel to see her nan. It's probably just this one time. You don't want to cause a ruckus, do you? I think this time it's better to give in.

:yes: I agree.

Remember too, Aspire, that her family MAY become your family one day .. so it would be good to show them that you are considerate and supportive - even if if means you are put out for a few hours or so. Take your MP3 player, a good book, a flask of coffee and some sweets and just settle in while you wait for your girlfriend to do her stuff. :)
  • Options
    Yeah I agree with all of you too. It's a bit of a confusing situation, sometimes you just need that push in the right direction from someone else I guess.

Looks like I'll be going then! Although I think I'll definitely stay in the foyer, it'll be too much pressure for me if I went in with them.
  • Options
    Its give and take isnt it.

Yes the afternoon at the hospice (I presume thats what you meant not a hostel) isnt going to be a barrel of laughs, but were the situation the other way around would you want her there?

Go, be respectful and nice about it and it will probably come back to you in affection later on.
  • Options
    Oops hospice! Yeah that's what I meant.

If I'm honest, I wouldn't expect her to come if it was the other way round.

It's all easy for me to say though, I'm fortunate enough to still have my nan & grandad knocking about in good health.. I've never even been to a funeral, which was partly the reason that made me wonder if I was being out of order in the first place. I've never experienced someone close to me dying.
  • Options
    Aspire wrote: »
    If I'm honest, I wouldn't expect her to come if it was the other way round.

Yeah, remember, but you're a bloke. Girls see things differently.

If you did have a small row about this, go back to her today, apologise and say that you have thought things through and you would like to be at the hospice to support her, even if you are in the foyer. She will be so overwhelmed that by the end of the day, you can lie back and have your plums sucked as if its YOUR birthday! :thumb:
  • Options
    Haha didn't think of that!

Quite glad I asked for advice now ;)
  • Options
    Aspire wrote: »
    Haha didn't think of that!

Quite glad I asked for advice now ;)

Like I said its give and take, and you are likely to see a return on your investment. That and its the decent thing to do if she has asked you.
  • Options
    This may sound a bit off but if her nans dying you shud be there for her 100% her nan dying is waaaay more important than her birthday you shoukd be there as your her partner
  • Options
    **helen****helen** Deactivated Posts: 9,235 Supreme Poster
    This may sound a bit off but if her nans dying you shud be there for her 100% her nan dying is waaaay more important than her birthday you shoukd be there as your her partner

Hey Graham, always best to check dates on threads before you post - this one was from back in October and so I know Aspire has had lots happen since then so I'm going to close it now.
This discussion has been closed.