Home Sex & Relationships
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

Parental Responsibility

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
Not sure if anyone can answer this but i cant find the answers anywhere else. My partner has a 3 year old daughter with an ex partner, they went to court so he can have access he sees the child 2 weekends a month a in holidays and xmas. the problem is he took the child on bocing day as agreed but has now refused to bring her back and said if we want her back we have to go to court, can he do this. he has parental responsibility, does this mean he can do this. thanks

Comments

• Options
    i think you need to speak to a solicitor as a matter of urgency
  • Options
    ClaireBearClaireBear Deactivated Posts: 467 Listening Ear
    Hiya,
    Hope you're OK.

You can call the Children's Legal Centre helpline on 0845 120 2948 - they're open til 5pm today (and then open again at 9am tomorrow morning). They'll be able to talk through your partner's options and recommend further sources of help.

Hope this helps some,
    CB
  • Options
    are you sure he has parental responsibility? Were they married?
  • Options
    Not being a lawyer or a solicitor....but is he keeping the child for some other reason? You need to tell us more about the relationship but I would seek legal advice on this if I were you. You could also contact the court.

happy christmas and merry new year!!!
  • Options
    Yes he has Parental Responsibility. We have spoken to Social Services and they say he can do this but it just don't sound right that he can take a child away from her mother after 3 years.
  • Options
    I am confused. Which sex are you? Which sex is your partner? He has the child now, but says "If WE (usually includes you) want it back, then ....", so who has the kid?

What's going on?
  • Options
    StrubbleS wrote: »
    I am confused. Which sex are you? Which sex is your partner? He has the child now, but says "If WE (usually includes you) want it back, then ....", so who has the kid?

What's going on?

I think we = the OP and their partner.
  • Options
    StrubbleS wrote: »

What's going on?

im assuming op is male considering his username is neil, and her partners ex is a he.
    His partners ex who is father of the child is refusing to return the child after routine access.

I think if he doesnt return the child and it goes to court, then the one who has done most of the childrearing to now is probably going to get residency of the child. In most cases that is the mother.
    The father is really gonna screw himself up for the right to unsupervised access in the future and it would serve him right
  • Options
    im assuming op is male considering his username is neil, and her partners ex is a he.
    His partners ex who is father of the child is refusing to return the child after routine access.

ah, ok, that makes sense. Didn't get the idea out of my head that OP is female.