Home Home, Law & Money
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

Need some help with tenancy law!

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
Hello just wondering if someone can help me with this,

I'm trying to move out of my current house so that I can move in with my best friend, but my current tenency was a 6month minimum starting in september (so it goes up to march).

I was told that if you can find someone to take the rest of your tenancy then the landlords can't refuse you doing this without good reason.

I actually have to go through a letting agent who have an extremely long winded referencing process. I guess I can't argue with this though its putting people off signing.

The main thing is, the letting agents say that if someone moves in they can't just stay till the end of my tenancy, they have to sign a new 6 month agreement. This is obviously putting peolpe off. Can anyone tell me if they are allowed to do that? Does the law I was told about prevent them from insisting on the new 6 month tenancy?

Thanks...

Comments

• Options
    They dont have to find a new person to go in, your liable for the rent for the minimum period. They are concerned about making sure they have money, so they may let you off and let you move out earlier, if there is someone to move in and take your place.

Though if someone else moves in, they are not you, so therefore would have to sign a new agreement. Which as was the case with yours, a 6 month period.
  • Options
    I would suggest firstly that you contact your agents and see how things lie with them.
    Discuss it all with them first. Why is it putting people off? Do you mean that the agency are putting people off? Or if you still get trouble with the agency why not try the good old citzen advice bureaux?
  • Options
    Hey thanks for the responses,

The agency aren't intentionally putting people off but for example, if someone contacts me wanting to move in January, before they can move in they have to come meet the letting agents, fill out a huge long form and then the company that makes the forms has to contact all their references and verify them and then get back to the letting agent. So its going to take till the end of january, but most poeple want to move in earlier. This way means I can't get a definate answer from anyone till the reference forms come back, but I need to give a definate answer to my friends that I want to move in with before then really.

I'm getting a lot of interest from people who want to move in just for a couple of months...

I have spoken to the letting agency and they said its ok to move someone in provided that they pass the referencing. They were obviously a bit annoyed about it (I imagine this will cause them some hassle) but they said they would do it if the landlord gave permission. I spoke to the landlady and she said it would be ok.
  • Options
    Hey guys sorry to revive this all thread,

just wondering if anyone can help me with this:

I found someone to move into the house but by the time the references etc are sorted they won't get in till the 10th of Jan. But my rent is due on the 6th of Jan. Will my letting agents be legally required to return to me the remainder of the rent for that month? Or will they just keep it?

Thanks!
  • Options
    Depends what the terms of your contract are, i suspect they will probly just keep it. Though you wont know until you ask.
  • Options
    hi,

hope you had a good christmas?

What do you mean by the rest of your rent?

Do you pay weekly?