Home Politics & Debate
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

Rapex

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
The world's first anti-rape condom

rapex-condom.jpg

http://www.rapestop.net/index.asp

Good idea? Women would you wear one on a night out?

Comments

• Options
    I think that has been posted here before or maybe it was somewhere else, its an interesting idea but poses a couple of problems imo

firstly whats to stop a girl shovin one in there then willingly having sex with you and destroying your wang.

secondly a rapist is probably also a violent angry person n trapping their wang in some painful hook thing will just probably make them very angry and more liekly to inflict serious physical damage on their victim.
  • Options
    SkiveSkive Posts: 15,286 Skive's The Limit
    That's a good idea.

And if a women upsets me I'll spray my condom with deep heat and give it to her rough. :rolleyes:

Tne answer is too have less women having to suffer sexual assualts in the first place, not to have them get som kind of revenge.
    Weekender Offender 
  • Options
    Knowing the way our legal sysytem works sometimes i wouldn't be surprised to see some woman had for assault on her rapist for using that. :rolleyes:

I remember an incident from a few years back where a guy who had had his wallet repeatedly stolen (pickpocketed) put a piece of card with several fish hooks (pointing down) in his inside jacket pocket. He went out one day, some git tries to steal his wallet and he (the guy with the fish hooks in his pocket) gets done for assault.
  • Options
    Tr4shed wrote: »
    Now before i have sex, ima always going to check for that...

I think if you've asked nicely it won't be something you need to check for.....unless of course you asked nicely for that sort of thing.
  • Options
    What sort of terrified existence are you living to walk around with that inside of you when you go out at night?
  • Options
    How would that actually stop a rape?

Might stop them raping someone else, but not you, for it to be effective, its going to have to go in somehow.
  • Options
    A thread came up about this when it was launched in April 2007. To give it some context it's sold in South Africa - and a bit more context - in 1998 the South African Police estimated a rape took place every 32 seconds, something I doubt has got better in the last 10 years.

Not that for one second I think this is that great an idea but rape by a stranger in a violent confrontation occurs much more frequently in South Africa than in many other countries, outside of wars.

The idea being, I assume, is to terrify potential rapists into thinking all women would be wearing one - thus preventing the crime. The problems with that and what it would mean for what rapists would change their behaviour are a little too unpleasant, at least for me, to go over again on a Sunday lunchtime.

I'd be interested to see any stats on if it has been used and the effect in the last year though.
  • Options
    What is sad, is that the threat of pain is being used to deter rapists, rather than the fact that rape is a horrible act.

Also, this device doesn't prevent anal rape.
  • Options
    I can imagine that many rapists are going to become more violent upon discovering their victim to be wearing one of these things.
  • Options
    I can imagine that many rapists are going to become more violent upon discovering their victim to be wearing one of these things.
    Plus for it to be effective the victim has to be raped in the first place. I don't know but I would think causing pain to the attacker would be a very small consolation to a woman in that situation. Weighed up against possible increased violence in the man, I don't know if it would be worth it.
  • Options
    Namaste wrote: »
    Also, this device doesn't prevent anal rape.

That was my first thought.
  • Options
    If a woman forgets to wear her rapex and is raped, will she be blamed?
  • Options
    This has surely got to be a winning candidate for the most pointless invention of all time.
  • Options
    stargalaxy wrote: »
    This has surely got to be a winning candidate for the most pointless invention of all time.

I once saw a painters face mask which had a bunch of holes poked in it. The idea was to allow the wearer to smoke a whole pack of cigarettes at one time...
  • Options
    Just to clarify the inventors reasoning on the device - not that I'm saying I think it's a good idea - the intention is that the barbs would go so deep it would be impossible to remove the device without surgical assistance.

So the aim is to have something that means people would be turning up at hospitals showing they'd raped someone and then could be questioned by police.

In a disturbing way it's really more like paint bombs in armoured cars than something to actually prevent a rape from happening. To be honest the FAQ on the website doesn't actually make a lot of sense when you read it.

Oh and it's called rape-ax or something now because RAPEX was the UN's grain subsidy measure or something like that.
  • Options
    Jim V wrote: »
    So the aim is to have something that means people would be turning up at hospitals showing they'd raped someone and then could be questioned by police.

Could make it nice and easy to frame someone...
  • Options