Home Politics & Debate
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

Brown's tribute to soldiers

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
He said the men "died in the front line of terror" and "would never be forgotten" for what they had achieved on behalf of Britain.

TBH reading that and some of the other soundbites out of him it sends a shiver down my spine like from the first world war when all the war correspondents downplayed the horror of the reality and just said it was all very honourable.

Dulce et decorum est pro patria mori, anyone?

Don't know why it only just struck me this morning though reading the news. What are we fighting for? A war on terror?

Complete nonsense. I'm surprised he has the gall to come out and make out like these people who lost their lives was justified for some 'greater good' or higher cause. Dress them up as patriots and heros and maybe nobody will ask just why the hell were they there getting killed in the first place.

Comments

• Options
    I have just listened to John Lennons Imagine and merry christmas war is over via you tube. It would be good to live in a world where peace is all around us but that is not possible and I hate fighting and listening to another soldier being innocently killed.
    It is a war on terror in my world and I do not think there will ever be an end to it before my time is up. If I had a magic wand or a wish one of them would be to stop all the world being angry with each other and the wish would be for
    PEACE AMONGST ALL MEN!

I wonder if he really does mean what he says? I would like to think so but I am not sure.
  • Options
    I think that just because he is a (labour) politician doesnt mean that he feels genuine sentiment for the jobs those guys and girls do over there.
  • Options
    I think it's more honourable that someone would risk their lives for a country that doesn't give a shit.
  • Options
    Whenever Macavity goes to Parliament for Wednesday's PMQ and tells us how sorry he is that the latest soldier has been killed in our two pointless wars, you have to remember that he doesn't mean it. When soldiers were killed in the Falklands war, Margaret Thatcher wrote personally to the bereaving families. Neither Gordon Brown nor his predecessor Tony Blair has had the courage to do this. Seeing that these are the two men who sent them to war in the first place, (McBroon was always keen to point out just how important he was in the government, after all) that is truly shameful behaviour.

But these creeps are incapable of showing shame. Like Blair, Brown is everything that I despise in a politician - he repeatedly attempts to evade responsibility for blunders that happen on his watch, he fails to answer important and serious criticism aimed towards him and he only ever does something if it's in his interest to do so. Everything is about Gordon, not about the interests of the UK. Whilst he was Chancellor, he was constantly attempting to cut military funding. His public defences of the military are notable in their absence. Months before the Iraq conflict started, it was claimed that Gordon had severe doubts about the reasons for going in. Did he quit, like the late Robin Cook, and make a devastating resignation speech tearing the Government apart? Of course not. He stayed completely quiet.

And he wonders where his perception as Macavity style figure comes from? Strange how this all changed when he became Prime Minister. In November 2007, he said that he would do his "duty" for the military. This was, of course, just his way of trying to get a quick newspaper headline after being torn to shreds for bottling the general election. Funny how he never said anything about his duty to the military as Chancellor, isn't it? Gordon only cares about one thing - and that's Gordon.
  • Options
    MrG - I'm sure he does, but it's the way he has said it that strikes a chord. There's no 'how much blood is it worth', all he can bring himself to say is what wonderful war heroes they all are, fighting and giving their lives up for their country and so on and so forth. How brave they are. How honourable they are. How they are all how we should aspire to be.

But not once does he address why in the year 2008 we still feel the need to send young men to death needlessly. If he can't come to terms with the horror of war then he should not engage in one, frankly.
  • Options
    ShyBoy wrote: »
    MrG - I'm sure he does, but it's the way he has said it that strikes a chord. There's no 'how much blood is it worth', all he can bring himself to say is what wonderful war heroes they all are, fighting and giving their lives up for their country and so on and so forth. How brave they are. How honourable they are. How they are all how we should aspire to be.
    Of course he can't. Gordon wouldn't dare say anything remotely critical of the wars in Iraq or Afghanistan. If he does, The Sun newspaper - which is already very critical of the man's government - will lay into him, accusing him of "insulting our troops". Most of the papers would. This line, of course, conveniently forgets that it was politicians who sent them to war in the first place. The military didn't decide one day to start an illegal war - the Government did.

Besides, nothing that Gordon says would change anything about it. He was complicit in getting us into those two wars, along with several others. He was the Chancellor during a time when we had the most war-hungry Prime Minister in recent history. He has had countless opportunities over 11 years to speak out against what is happening - not once has he done so. That tells us everything we need to know.

Incidentally, it was announced recently that British troops are due to leave Iraq at the end of June 2009. Why was this announcement made via the press and not through Parliament? Let's remember that McBroon has form in this area - during the Tory Party conference in October 2007, he used a photo-opportunity in Baghdad to claim that troops were being taken out of Basra in Iraq. A claim which turned out to be the first of his many lies on the subject...
  • Options

But not once does he address why in the year 2008 we still feel the need to send young men to death needlessly. If he can't come to terms with the horror of war then he should not engage in one, frankly.

Yes, but there's a time and a place for putting forward complex arguments (which others would then argue against) and it's not when delivering a eulogy for the dead.
  • Options
    So you're happy with the whole sweet and fitting to die for ones country thing? Hum. Maybe it's just because we have different perspectives.

I can accept that sometimes people have to lay down their lives to protect their family, their friends, their comrades or their country. But I think we all need to regret every life lost, rather than paint it as something justified and patriotic.

Maybe it's just the way I read the quote on the BBC article.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/world/7781240.stm (I forgot to post the link before)
  • Options
    Yes, but there's a time and a place for putting forward complex arguments (which others would then argue against) and it's not when delivering a eulogy for the dead.

:thumb:
  • Options
    MrG wrote: »
    :thumb:

I can accept that sometimes people have to lay down their lives to protect their family, their friends, their comrades or their country. But I think we all need to regret every life lost, rather than paint it as something justified and patriotic.
  • Options
    So you're happy with the whole sweet and fitting to die for ones country thing? Hum. Maybe it's just because we have different perspectives.

Possibly because I've seen it, and I don't think it helps so those still alive for the PM to either say its a waste of time and we should leave or launch into a closely analysed explanation of geopolitics.

What's wanted, for those still remaining, is just simple platitudes - which doesn't mean they're not true - that those who died paid the cost for those sitting at home.
  • Options
    It certainly would be wrong for the PM to express his insincere condolences to the families of those killed in war in one sentence, then to state that the war they fought was pointless and futile. However, not even McBroon is thick enough to try doing that. Then again...

** It's always nice to proven right. Over at the Army Rumour Service, (or ARRSE, as it's more commonly known) our soldiers have been pouring scorn on "Jonah McGabe". Prime Mentalist indeed...
  • Options
    stargalaxy wrote: »
    It certainly would be wrong for the PM to express his insincere condolences to the families of those killed in war in one sentence, then to state that the war they fought was pointless and futile. However, not even McBroon is thick enough to try doing that. Then again...

** It's always nice to proven right. Over at the Army Rumour Service, (or ARRSE, as it's more commonly known) our soldiers have been pouring scorn on "Jonah McGabe". Prime Mentalist indeed...

Teehee, I lurk on there too :)
  • Options

Hardly a suprise that serving and ex-soldiers generally aren't big fans of a Labour PM...
  • Options
    Hardly a suprise that serving and ex-soldiers generally aren't big fans of a Labour PM...
    If you take a look around the ARRSE website, you'll soon discover that they aren't fans of David Cameron either.
  • Options
    It certainly would be wrong for the PM to express his insincere condolences to the families of those killed in war in one sentence, then to state that the war they fought was pointless and futile.

You're very right. If anything (God forbid) should happen to my dad when he goes to Afghanistan, I don't want to hear that it was all in vain. I want people to recognise that what he did was brave and heroic. Whether that's right or not, I don't care. I would just want to hear it that way.

If, on the other hand, something happened to my dad because the government and the MOD got it wrong then they'll have it coming to them, believe you me.
  • Options
    What I mean is simply what I said above, that from the quote it was as if he was portraying it as something almost positive, whereas we should regret sincerely every life lost.
  • Options
    What I mean is simply what I said above, that from the quote it was as if he was portraying it as something almost positive, whereas we should regret sincerely every life lost.

:confused: Are we talking about the same thing, because he's not making it out to be positive, but trying to console those left behind by saying they died for something.
  • Options
    Like I said I read it on the bbc website and it's just the way it read to me. Normally I wouldn't blink an eye but it was this time it did. It made me think back to the time in GCSE english we studied all the war literature etc. and how previously the government would say how 'glorious' and 'fitting' it was to die for ones country with brothers in arms.
  • Options
    Heres something to stir things up, despite what the government have been and done over the past few years in regards to the army. Heres a comment from a serving member of the forces about what he thinks about himself and the relationship he has with his country.
    I feel quite patriotic about my country.
    I do get annoyed that a lot of people come from foreign lands and claim benefits and do nothing, but there are just as much Jeremy Kyle white British cases that do the same.

A lot of the foreigners that I come across do/have found work and work bloody hard, and pay in more taxes than they take out. All these people who complain about foreigners taking our jobs, the only jobs they take are mainly ones where others don't want to do them. Or where people who demand sooo much of a wage that it's cheaper to employ lower paid workers.

I think we should stop complaining about the people coming into the country, once we have sorted out the non immigrants in the country that are already here.

UK is built upon a melting pot of culture and ideals and always has been, for all its faults and problems, I'm proud of it, there are a lot of people in this world who are in far worse off conditions, than even the poorest in this country are. It would be wrong to take for granted what we have, and that's why I feel compelled to be proud if I serve my country, I've stepped up and done something not all that many people have and ever will do in recent years.

I've done my bit for the greater good of my country. That makes me content.