Home Sex & Relationships
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

Getting over him

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
Me and my boyfriend of 11 months broke up 2 months ago tomorrow and I'm still getting over him :no:
Anyone got any advice? We're remaining friends and that's fine with me as we were friends before we crossed the line into a relationship.
Will I ever get over him?

Comments

• Options
    It's so crap saying it but yes, you will, in time, get over your ex bf and find happiness elsewhere. Remember It's not a race and it may take between 6-12months to get over him. There are sadly no short cuts to getting over exs, some people jump right into another relationship before they've had time to heal properly and end up hurting the new person. I'd strongly suggest not rushing into new relationship until you've healed fully.

Personally I have to go into 'No contact' if I break up with someone that I love, because I can't do the friends thing until I'm over them and happy within myself. Hearing exs go on about their lives and name dropping new people will mess up your head. Ignorance is bliss.

2 moths is nothing in the grand scheme of things really. Do not be too hard on yourself, keep posting and vent your feelings here and get it all out. :)
  • Options
    Harmless wrote: »
    It's so crap saying it but yes, you will, in time, get over your ex bf and find happiness elsewhere. Remember It's not a race and it may take between 6-12months to get over him. There are sadly no short cuts to getting over exs, some people jump right into another relationship before they've had time to heal properly and end up hurting the new person. I'd strongly suggest not rushing into new relationship until you've healed fully.

Personally I have to go into 'No contact' if I break up with someone that I love, because I can't do the friends thing until I'm over them and happy within myself. Hearing exs go on about their lives and name dropping new people will mess up your head. Ignorance is bliss.

2 moths is nothing in the grand scheme of things really. Do not be too hard on yourself, keep posting and vent your feelings here and get it all out. :)

Nothing to add to this, really, as I think it's all top advice, but just wanted to say as someone who's survived it - you will get there. It's a horrid time and hurts like hell but you'll come out of it the other side stronger. The most important thing is to take care of yourself. Lots of self indulgent pampering and time with your mates is in order. Big hugs to you :)
  • Options
    Thank you so much. I just feel like it's never going to happen. We share the same friends but I will never be able to loose contact completely but I've managed to distance myself and I've not seen him for about 4 weeks, which suits me as I'm not sure I'm strong enough to see him yet.
    I'm just terrified that I'm going to remain in love with him and not be able to move on. I can't beat the thought of it. I have no intention of getting into another relationship and I plan to stay single for about a year, just to give myself time.
    This feels horrible :crying:
  • Options
    Your own signature:

Don't let the sadness of your past & the fear of your future ruin the happiness of your present
  • Options
    Lexi99 wrote: »
    Your own signature:

Don't let the sadness of your past & the fear of your future ruin the happiness of your present

:yes: Keep going strong and you'll get there.
  • Options
    Thank you so much. I just feel like it's never going to happen. We share the same friends but I will never be able to loose contact completely but I've managed to distance myself and I've not seen him for about 4 weeks, which suits me as I'm not sure I'm strong enough to see him yet.
    I'm just terrified that I'm going to remain in love with him and not be able to move on. I can't beat the thought of it. I have no intention of getting into another relationship and I plan to stay single for about a year, just to give myself time.
    This feels horrible :crying:

You're a wise woman and seem to be handling it best way possible ,imo you will be fine. Once those bloody rose-tinted glasses come off you will not remain in love forever. How long that takes depends on what you choose to think about when the memories of your ex pop into your head.

Only remembering the good times will hurt and delay your healing. Even if there weren't many, focus on the bad memories and annoying habits he had. He may appear perfect in your head now but that's because you've built him up, and you can bloody well unbuilt him!!
    Time and focus is the key, and lots of laughter.
  • Options
    hey butterfly, i'm so sorry about your breakup sweetie :(

i understand how you feel, i have been broken up with many times, it hurts! and the problem was that i didn't WANT to get over them, because i thought they were perfect, i just wanted them to take me back.

at the moment, you're probably seeing your ex/your friend as pretty much flawless, which is totally normal, but try to think of why the relationship wasn't working out

i had a relationship with my best male mate for a while, then he broke up with me, that was 5 years ago and we're still friends, i'm completely over him and we've both had a few partners since then.

also, i would advise you not to do anything too impulsive, such as take drugs/alcohol to take away the pain, mess around with someone else as a rebound/to make your ex jealous, you know - things like that.

focus on #1.... yourself! pamper yourself, remind yourself that you are beautiful and kind and worthy, equal to everyone else (it's all true:) ), this will make you feel better about yourself! (rather than feeling sorry for yourself and feeling like you're a crap person because he broke up with you.)

*hug*