Home Home, Law & Money
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

another food theft thread...

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
we have now had over £100 worth of food go missing since we have got here, we just let it go for the first few weeks thinking it might have been mistakes or something but now its getting beyond ridiculous. We can't lock our kitchen or our cupboards, so i've written this letter to the other kitchen as we are now 95% sure its them, as everyone from our flat has had food go missing and they are a pretty trustworthy lot.

To the residents of flat 89 (right kitchen)
We have had a number of items go missing from our kitchen:

a pot of marmite
two pots of nutella
a tray of eggs
frozen chicken/mince/and other meat
dilutable juice
bread
butter
organic milk
ice cream
fruit and vegetables and more

We have talked to other residents from our kitchen, and we can find no evidence which can prove that anyone from our kitchen has been stealing these things. it is stealing and not borrowing and thus is a criminal offence. As the management of halls cannot take action, we are willing to involve the police, as we are spending a lot of money on food that is going missing, and we are getting to a point where we can no long afford to feed ourselves with the amount of food that is going missing.

We are asking politely for this to stop. If not then we will be involving the police. We would also like to have to food either replaced or the equivalent sum (approximately £50) to be given to us, so that we can replace the food ourselves. Thank You

Do you think this is fair? and would the police do anything as halls management keep saying that they take no responsiblity for food theft.

what can i do? and no i'm not lacing things with laxatives as we want to involve the police.

Comments

• Options
    Steal stuff back from their fridge?
  • Options
    they have nothing in their fridge!
  • Options
    they have nothing in their fridge!

Weird... So they're stealing the food and using it straight away?
  • Options
    Have you spoke to your uni security? They normally sort this kind of thing out when it gets to a sufficiently serious level.
  • Options
    But really the only things that need to be in the kitchen is the stuff that needs to stay in the fridge. Keep dry stuff in your room.
  • Options
    Last year I did exactly that IWishIWas pretty much. Still had the occasional thing pinched, but then again I would help myself to other people's milk if I needed a cup of tea and nobody seemed to care. I think it can be hard for a lot of people coming to university - TT has lived indepedently and so she is used to having her things and sorting it out whereas I know some students who are spoilt before going to university and don't understand the concept of other people's property.

I thought I was spoilt until I hit uni :p (on balance I probably am, where else do you get nice presents twice a year for doing nothing other than existing lol)
  • Options
    ShyBoy wrote: »
    Last year I did exactly that IWishIWas pretty much. Still had the occasional thing pinched, but then again I would help myself to other people's milk if I needed a cup of tea and nobody seemed to care. I think it can be hard for a lot of people coming to university - TT has lived indepedently and so she is used to having her things and sorting it out whereas I know some students who are spoilt before going to university and don't understand the concept of other people's property.

I thought I was spoilt until I hit uni :p (on balance I probably am, where else do you get nice presents twice a year for doing nothing other than existing lol)

Yeah, you're right. I had a flatmate last year that would just take people's stuff and think nothing of it, just because at home she was used to taking whatever she felt like. I could do that at home, but I'm a shit load poorer than she is and when I brought it up she apologised because I think she actually didn't realise what she was doing. I think she thought that that was what everyone was doing, when really no one was taking her stuff!
  • Options
    i have got everything else (bar like salt oil and herbs) under my bed, but all our fresh stuff is going missing and being eaten straight away.

I spoke to the halls management and they said all they can do is make sure we can lock our kitchen and write the other kitchen a stern letter. Thats going to do jack shit, so i'll be getting the police involved if it continues on after xmas..
  • Options
    Indrid ColdIndrid Cold Posts: 16,688 Skive's The Limit
    Maybe have a camera hidden somewhere in the kitchen, or stand guard in shifts (hidden or not) every night?
  • Options
    we wanted to use a hidden camera but its seems very hard to sort out
  • Options
    Put some bait in the fridge and rig up a rape alarm.

When you catch them kill them with fire.
  • Options
    What's the score with locking the kitchen? Is it likely that you could talk halls management into changing the locks so the ones for the other kitchen are different? Am guessing not....

Could do with someone electrically minded rigging an alarm that goes off when the fridge is opened with a deactivation button so you guys can use it but would catch out someone from the other flat.
  • Options
    we do have different locks, but ours doesn't seem to be working...

we'll see if we can rig some alarm...but its a lot of extra money to sort out...
  • Options
    In true student halls stylee, I suggest retaliating by filling their entire kitchen floor-to-ceiling with traffic cones, road signs and crash barriers. Watch them try and cook with your food then!
  • Options
    traffic cones are quite hard to find around these parts... someone nearly got arrested for trying to take some home when walking back from wembley a couple of nights ago...
  • Options
    The alarm idea would only really work if you happen to have someone electrically minded as the cost then would be next to nothing. If it's hassle then it's really not worth it.

If your locks don't work and food is going missing then that's something that the halls management should be sorting out. It may not be their responsibilty in a shared kitchen, but if it's supposed to lock and doesn't then it's getting into being their fault.
  • Options
    The alarm idea would only really work if you happen to have someone electrically minded as the cost then would be next to nothing. If it's hassle then it's really not worth it.

All she would need is a rape alarm and a piece of string. It would cost about £3.
  • Options
    minimi38 wrote: »
    All she would need is a rape alarm and a piece of string. It would cost about £3.
    Should be free from the union.