Home General Chat
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

Netbooks

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
Hey guys, thinking of getting myself a netbook for the train journey into work each day, so what wouderig if any of you guys have one and can tell me what you think of the model you have? i was looking at this one:

http://www.johnlewis.com/230503790/Product.aspx

Comments

• Options
    I have had a quick look and it does not look too bad. Sorry to say I dont travel via the train at the moment but I do use a laptop. I suppose what matters to you mainly is what you really want it for? My laptop is great but too big for the train. I also wonder what kind of specs you want to? Or what operating system? Do you want windows still or Linux?
    It still does not sound too bad a purchase.
  • Options
    You can get that one in tesco for 179 :)

Oh my gosh! I want one after xmas! They just look so cute!!

Even though I have a MBP, I still want these things... I don't even need it... But its just so cool!
  • Options
    Are 'Netbooks' viable word processors? They would be great as notetakers if they are.
  • Options
    CoolMe wrote: »
    You can get that one in tesco for 179 :)

Oh my gosh! I want one after xmas! They just look so cute!!

Even though I have a MBP, I still want these things... I don't even need it... But its just so cool!

yeah ive seen it in tesco, but my other half gets a staff discount at john lewis and they offer a Free 2 year guarantee with i think is a good idea.
  • Options
    Get a Samsung NC10 it's intel atom processor, 1BG of ram (but can be expanded to 2), 10 inch screen, wifi, bluetooth, 160GB of hard drive....and you can get it in a lovely blue colour ;)
    It's £300, really, really light and has a good keyboard for typing. Alot of netbooks are too small and have small keys making it really difficult to type. Most netbooks have really small hard drives, sometimes you can fit more on an Ipod nano than some of the netbooks you can get. Also the cheapest ones do not come with windows. They come with linux which is ok and has some benifits over windows but if your not more than a casual user of a computer it might be difficult to get used too.

If you want to spend less than £200 deffinatly get an Acer Aspire 1 these are better than the EEE PC's. Up to 300 a HP mini note (though these are fugly!) For £300 an NC10. Over £300 and your next small laptop would cost you £700-£800.
  • Options
    any idea where the best place to get the nc10 from is?
  • Options
    After much investigation into them I found the best place was from saveonsamsung.com it was £318 with free next day delivery and it did actually come the next day...which I was really surprised at!
  • Options
    Does anyone know on the 'intel chart' where the 'atom' processor fit's in?

I take it, it's under dual core, but above P4 :)
  • Options
    Ahh another Netbook thread :hyper:

I can't get enough of them right now, lovely little things that they are :D

Regarding the Samsung NC10. it's regarded as one of the top [f not the top] netbook around at the moment according to some websites.

The cheapest I have found it in my look around the web for one is Amazon.co.uk. Find it here.

Another good one to get is the Toshiba NB100 - Found here.

In a review I read recently on CNET talking about the top 10 netbooks - find that here - the Aspire One came in at number 4. Find out what they said about it here.

Since reading that article I've since taken a liking to the MSI Wind U120.

I wanted a netbook to share with my father but realised we would need a DVD drive so a Netbook isn't quite going to suit us, which is a shame. Now I have to find the closest alternative !