Home Sex & Relationships
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

What to do? Break/Split up! Odd situation

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
Hey Everyone
Bit of advice would be greatly appreciated!

Right here we go,
Three weeks ago me and my girlfriend split up, we had been going out for just over a year.
We had a brilliant time, getting on really well and very very rarely haveing arguments or rows. We got together at the beggining of the 2nd year of Uni, but ive known her for about 4 years.
During the 2nd year we have a great time, often we used to talk about what our first house together would look like, getting married and even how many kids she would want (even thinking of names), we also had a great time when we weren't at uni even though I live in gloucester and she lives in Oxford.
Since we went back to Uni we haven't been getting on aswell as we had been. We talked about this and decided that it was due to her being in her final year (i have another year to go) and needing to get a 2.1 in order to get her graduate job. So we decided not to see each other as much as we had been, but then this caused us to have more arguments as there was a pressure for us to have a good time when we did see each other, for example if we just chilled out in front of the TV, we would argue about being boring and not doing anything.

So this lead us to have a serious chat about how we can sort this out, one of the options that came up was ending it, and this is what we agreed on. The thing that is odd is because I love her and she loves me, it has nothing to do with anyone being bored, not attracted to or anything like that. The reason for splitting up is to garantee that we have a future when she has finished her exams in 6 months time.

When we decided to split up she said I dont want you to hang around waiting for me, i cant be that selfish. But I love her so much that I wouldnt do anything with anyone else, it would be like im cheating on her.

I just dont know what to do,
Do I move on, forget her, kiss/sleep with other girls and if we do get back together 6 months down the line then we do
OR
Do I do what im doing now, take the step away but still think about her all the time, miss her and still love her but stick out the 6months as if we were on a long break

Hope that makes sence!
Any help would be brilliant!
Cheers
Bristolbother

Comments

• Options
    Personally I'd go for the long break.

(People on here will give you better advice than what I come up with :p)
  • Options
    Uni is the worst passion killer. My boyfriend and I broke up (albeit for 8hours) when I was in second year because we're both so stressed all the time. It's likely the same can be said with you and your girlfriend. Whenever you guys meet up, you probably know that you've got a hundred and one other things to do and you're probably both very stressed. I'm in my final year, and people are splitting up all around me, both because of stress and because of the realisation that they both want different things.
    Talk with her about it. Consider if that's really how she's feeling. If not, then maybe it's better to spend more time apart until finals are over. It's ony a few months away, and it doesn't mean you can't see each other at all during this time.
    I say that you should try talking to her, and that you both should be brutally honest, even if it hurts.