Home General Chat
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

Anyone awake??

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
I did pretty shit today in an exam that I worked my ass off for. This is always the case. I can't sleep. I feel like shit. I want to drink large amounts of alcohol but I have none and I know it won't help me anyway. I've tried so hard for three and a half years now but it doesn't seem to be showing in my grades.

Sorry to be depressing, but I just need random banter.
Anyone around?

Comments

• Options
    Ah that happens. Is it just the one course in thats not turning out so well? Perhaps it is just the professor. I hate those. You know you deserve an A and they give you an A-/B+ score... thats not even a real grade.

As my daddy tells me, as long as you know you are doing your best. It will turn out eventually :)

How does your school work? Is most of the grades given on tests and exams or research papers? or are there a variety of assignments and such to grade? I despise when they rely on exams. I freak out, I usually end up forgetting what room I'm supposed to go to (same one as the last 12 weeks...) Everybody learns differently and does their work differetly.

Sorry, I have had the few drinks and ramble :p
  • Options
    Ah that happens. Is it just the one course in thats not turning out so well? Perhaps it is just the professor. I hate those. You know you deserve an A and they give you an A-/B+ score... thats not even a real grade.

As my daddy tells me, as long as you know you are doing your best. It will turn out eventually :)

How does your school work? Is most of the grades given on tests and exams and research papers? or are there a variety of assignments and such to grade?

Uhm, I'm at uni. And it's been happening in various courses for a year now. It's like the harder I try the worse that I do. But I obviously can't just slack off and hope it'll be okay.
    I'm just worried now that I'm going to have spent four years of seriously hard work, blood, sweat and tears and money and have nothing to show for it. It's a stupid degree that won't get me anywhere, anyway.
    Urgh...
  • Options
    I'm awake!!! :D

Doing an assignment
  • Options
    IWishIWas wrote: »
    Uhm, I'm at uni. And it's been happening in various courses for a year now. It's like the harder I try the worse that I do. But I obviously can't just slack off and hope it'll be okay.
    I'm just worried now that I'm going to have spent four years of seriously hard work, blood, sweat and tears and money and have nothing to show for it. It's a stupid degree that won't get me anywhere, anyway.
    Urgh...

School isn't "uni"? Is it not...
    1: an organization that provides instruction...group of scholars and teachers pursuing knowledge together that with similar groups constituted a medieval university...an institution for specialized higher education often associated with a university <the school of engineering>...an establishment offering specialized instruction <a secretarial school> <driving schools> ...a group of persons who hold a common doctrine or follow the same teacher (as in philosophy, theology, or medicine) <the Aristotelian school> ; also : the doctrine or practice of such a group...a group of artists under a common influence

or something? :p

horray for online dictionaries. at least they give you "did you mean" Grade school... how do you spell this? look it up in the dictionary... how... I can't spell it... it goes in alphabetical order... I"ll never find it if I cannot spell it :(
  • Options
    rachie004 wrote: »
    Not for long, I just took some night nurse. 14 hour coma, here I come :yippe:

Hehe. Sounds good! =]
  • Options
    School isn't uni?

No one here (Scotland) calls uni school. Uni is uni and college is college and school is school.
  • Options
    ooo Jaloux

I needs to talk to YOU :D
    :flirt:

Bring it on! :naughty:
  • Options
    So school is like little kid only school?

And I've always wondered... what in the world is the difference between uni and college? It is the same thing here in the US
  • Options
    So school is like little kid only school?

And I've always wondered... what in the world is the difference between uni and college? It is the same thing here in the US

Yup, in the UK usually school is something to refer to 5-17/8 year olds. College over here tends to be for further studying after school ages to earn school grades (if that makes sense) and most colleges cater for vocational courses or short courses to gain a HND or whatever. Uni, on the other hand, at least in Scotland, lasts generally four years and is to gain a degree, ie an MA (which I will hopefully have soon!)
  • Options
    its about air traffic controlling - is that ok? :)

Sure, I don't think I've got anything to hide! :nervous:
  • Options
    Ah that makes perfect sense! Thank you :D

Is an MA a masters degree? Silly me, all the levels of degrees probably have different names too... though if they don't, thats cool, only 4 years. Here it would be 6-7 years if you are super hardcore about it. But there are always people like me, going on year #8 still working on that "four" (usually 5) year degree thats called the bachelors here (and still 3ish more to go, eugh).
  • Options
    Ah that makes perfect sense! Thank you :D

Is an MA a masters degree? Silly me, all the levels of degrees probably have different names too... though if they don't, thats cool, only 4 years. Here it would be 6-7 years if you are super hardcore about it. But there are always people like me, going on year #8 still working on that "four" (usually 5) year degree thats called the bachelors here.

This is where it gets complicated. In England, the standard is a three year BA or a Bachelors degree. In Scotland, it's four years. BUT in some of the older unis in Scotland (as Edinburgh uni) some of the humanities and arts degrees are a four year MA, which is a masters. I don't know why, but I think it's a wee bit more hardcore than others.
  • Options
    Well so then it sounds like you are in the hardcore 4 year masters? What subject, if you don't mind me asking? At least you are almost finished with it so that big ol stresser can be over with. Do you have any ideas of what you want to do after? The degree may seem like a stupid degree now, but once you'll be done I can only imagine how good it will feel, how many more oppertunities you'll have.

Just think of how close you are :)
  • Options
    I'll send you a pm tomorrow, if thats ok, just not feeling very concious atm and my brain is starting to flat line :p

No problem :)
  • Options
    Well so then it sounds like you are in the hardcore 4 year masters? What subject, if you don't mind me asking? At least you are almost finished with it so that big ol stresser can be over with. Do you have any ideas of what you want to do after? The degree may seem like a stupid degree now, but once you'll be done I can only imagine how good it will feel, how many more oppertunities you'll have.

Just think of how close you are :)

I'm doing philosophy and English literature. Yup, only a few months left to go! So scary! I've applied for a postgraduate course but I'm still anxiously waiting to hear from them! If I don't get in, then I have absolutely no idea what I'm actually going to do with my life :s

Tiredness has suddenly hit me like a big brick wall so I'm gonna climb into bed now.
    No doubt be kicking around the boards tomorrow! Night!
    And thank you so much for chatting to me and keeping me thinking away from failure! x
  • Options
    Oh I have so many questions now after that :p, damn you time zones. Well goodnight :) Hope you are feeling better tomorrow :)

English and philosophy... thats freaking smart people stuff!!! As english as my only language I can barely speak it and I wrote "I need this class to graduate" on the bottom of a philosophy final in a... college I think you would call it... class, Yay for a just above failing.
  • Options
    Iz awake
  • Options
    i'm awake because i feel like i'm falling apart again...

damn fucking mind!
  • Options
    JsTJsT Posts: 18,268 Skive's The Limit
    I've been drinking innit.
  • Options
    JsT wrote: »
    I've been drinking innit.

yay alcholo
  • Options
    Well I was asleep until 3am... but then woke up wide awake. Read for about 30 minutes and now I've given up and got up.

Strange cos I never usually wake for this long in the night. But then I have got an awful lot on my mind at the moment. Especially after the day I had yesterday. :(
  • Options
    My god. I'm drunk but I've just moved to a place where apparently this means nobody is up.... or about.... and even my nearest and dearest have gone sleep. So I'm making the most of smoking in the house and catching up with my music of past.....
  • Options
    Oh I have so many questions now after that :p, damn you time zones. Well goodnight :) Hope you are feeling better tomorrow :)

English and philosophy... thats freaking smart people stuff!!! As english as my only language I can barely speak it and I wrote "I need this class to graduate" on the bottom of a philosophy final in a... college I think you would call it... class, Yay for a just above failing.

Hahaha! I think I might do the same at the end of my next philosophy paper :p

Thanks again for chatting last night! I was in a proper grumpy mood! Sorry all!
  • Options
    We all get grumpy at times. Grades aren't the be all and end all at the end of the day ... well thats what i tell myself :p But don't get too down about it.

But yeah this is the perfect place to come have a grump if needs be :)
  • Options
    GoodFella wrote: »
    We all get grumpy at times. Grades aren't the be all and end all at the end of the day ... well thats what i tell myself :p But don't get too down about it.

But yeah this is the perfect place to come have a grump if needs be :)

Oh. Being nice to me now, are we? :P

But you're right. Fuck uni!
  • Options
    IWishIWas wrote: »
    Oh. Being nice to me now, are we? :P

But you're right. Fuck uni!

I'm always nice me.
  • Options
    GoodFella wrote: »
    I'm always nice me.