Home Politics & Debate
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

Burglar to sue farmer who shot him

for up to £50,000 in damages

I was just wondering what people make of this news. Is it a mockery of justice? Does a person have the right to shoot anyone trespassing their property, even when they are retreating? And to those in the US, is it as likely there that a farmer might be jailed for shooting intruders?

Personally I think unless your life is in danger you have no right to shoot someone or use lethal force on them. Allegedly this man shot the other burglar in the back as he has running away from the property.
Beep boop. I'm a bot.

Comments

• Options
    Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    What Tony Martin did was wrong but it was the total failure of the police and justice system which pushed him over the edge..

For the record, if he had done the same thing in America, he would still be in prison in most states.

If that piece of shit Fearon can sue Martin then Martin should be able to sue Fearon...Fight like with like.
  • Options
    Our justice system throws these jokes at us from time to time, its ridiculos, but then we seem to live in a compensation society at the minute, I don't blame the fucking little shit for trying to get the compen, I blame the system for allowing it to happen.

That said you shouldn't be shooting people.
  • Options
    its stupid, but hes got nothing to lose. hes doing it with one of those `no win - no fee` companies
  • Options
    This case is right up there with a rapist sueing his victim because he caught AIDS from the rape...and it obviously subjected him to the gratiutious infliction of grevious mentil anguish as well.

The farmer only made one mistake...not shooting to kill...and then shooting again to be sure! (out of fear for his own safety of course)
    :rolleyes:
  • Options
    Re: Burglar to sue farmer who shot him
    Originally posted by Aladdin
    Is it a mockery of justice?.

Yes, simple as that.
  • Options
    That is the stupidest thing I've read all year!

If he does compensation, what does that say about the British justice system.

:mad:
  • Options
    I suppose it is all a bit like the case where a burglar who fell on a knife and cut themselves sued the homeowner.
  • Options
    Well there have been several cases where the local council has ordered a homeowner to remove barbed wire from the top of their fence/wall in case an intruder cuts himself... :(
  • Options
    most people find it very aggrivating when people invade their privacy. the notion that this farmer has done something wrong by defending himself from these thugs, who now are held in esteem as victims of a great tragedy is absolute falasy and pure lunacy.
  • Options
    This thread is 6 years old :|
  • Options
    wise sage wrote: »
    most people find it very aggrivating when people invade their privacy. the notion that this farmer has done something wrong by defending himself from these thugs, who now are held in esteem as victims of a great tragedy is absolute falasy and pure lunacy.

Have you just woken from a deep sleep?
  • Options
    Aladdin wrote: »
    And to those in the US, is it as likely there that a farmer might be jailed for shooting intruders?

Generally speaking it depends on the state you are in. In Oregon you're only allowed to use 'lethal force' in defense of your person. Other states allow you to use lethal force in defense of property. Other states have what are jokingly called "Make my day laws" where the person just needs to be on your property uninvited.