Home Politics & Debate
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

DNA database to remove innocent people

In rather excellent news the EU Court of Human Rights has said that we should not be keeping innocent peoples DNA on file.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk/7764069.stm

If we are going to have a DNA database then we need to discuss the plans for it openly, not just allow the Police to pick up more and more people to add to it.
Beep boop. I'm a bot.

Comments

• Options
    Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Presumably all those who like nothing more than rage against Human Rights legislation will gallantly ask to be excluded from the ruling... :rolleyes:
  • Options
    But...surely not all innocent people are innocent forever?
  • Options
    IWishIWas wrote: »
    But...surely not all innocent people are innocent forever?

That is indeed true, but if we want a DNA database which includes people who have never been convicted of a crime then the government should come out and say that. We could all be swabbed and everyone including all MP's put on the database. Except of course that the government knows full well we dont want that, so they are using this method to gradually build up the database without anyone really noticing.
  • Options
    budda wrote: »
    That is indeed true, but if we want a DNA database which includes people who have never been convicted of a crime then the government should come out and say that. We could all be swabbed and everyone including all MP's put on the database. Except of course that the government knows full well we dont want that, so they are using this method to gradually build up the database without anyone really noticing.

Yep, we should either have that all of us are on or just convicted criminals. Given that it has helped catch some particually nasty rapist/ murderers I'd be willing to give up a tiny bit of freedom for the former.
  • Options
    Yep, we should either have that all of us are on or just convicted criminals. Given that it has helped catch some particually nasty rapist/ murderers I'd be willing to give up a tiny bit of freedom for the former.

If, and thats an absolutely massive if, they could make sure that the database was completely in the control of an independant agency and not the Police. And if they could make sure to get everyones DNA correctly stored and labeled, then maybe I would support it.

But given this governments record with big computer projects I very much doubt they could do it right.
  • Options
    Let's just hope that this decision doesn't come back and bite them on the arse.
  • Options
    Whowhere wrote: »
    Let's just hope that this decision doesn't come back and bite them on the arse.

It might, its certainly possible that someone on there who is now innocent could go on to rape or murder. But there are limits to what we allow the state to do in their efforts to fight crime.
  • Options
    Yay this affects me directly. They took my DNA about 7 years ago but I was never convicted.
  • Options
    budda wrote: »
    If, and thats an absolutely massive if, they could make sure that the database was completely in the control of an independant agency and not the Police. And if they could make sure to get everyones DNA correctly stored and labeled, then maybe I would support it.

Don't care either way, as long as the police have access to it. Sure they'll have to be safeguards, but these safeguards can be implemented by the police (giving that afik they already control car registration, fingerprints and other databases)
    But given this governments record with big computer projects I very much doubt they could do it right

that's a technical issue rather than an ethical one and as large computer projects become the norm Government will get more succesful at it (from my experience the last five or six years Government expertise has come on leaps and bounds).
  • Options
    that's a technical issue rather than an ethical one and as large computer projects become the norm Government will get more succesful at it (from my experience the last five or six years Government expertise has come on leaps and bounds).

lol great joke
  • Options
    I fear that Budda's thread title is unintentionally a rather misleading one. Allow me to explain. This is quite strange. Whenever anything utterly ridiculous comes out of Europe, Macavity and his stooges revel in it. They behave like flies that have just seen a dog taking a shit. They can't wait to get stuck into it, pissing off everyone in the process. Now that unelected European judges have come up with a sensible ruling, what do they say? According to the Beeb, the Minister of the Interior and pathological liar Jacqui Smith said, she was "disappointed" with the court's ruling, adding "The existing law will remain in place while we carefully consider the judgment."

In other words, these bastards plan to ignore it. The Government claims that DNA and fingerprinting should play an important role in fighting crime. Well Jacqui, you'd be right on that one. Of course, there is this rather minor issue of whether the people whose DNA you're taking have actually done anything that should concern the authorities, isn't there? Even a vacuous hollow excuse for a human being like you should know that. By the way, I notice that her boss has been very quiet about this - it's nice to see him once again living up to his name as a coward, isn't it?

On goes the march of Big Brother...
  • Options
    not forgetting this country still currently contravenes another judgement that we should in some form or another, allow pirsoners to vote, which they've ignored for a few years now
  • Options
    not forgetting this country still currently contravenes another judgement that we should in some form or another, allow prisoners to vote, which they've ignored for a few years now
    For every sensible verdict you get from Europe, you get ten ludicrous ones. Why the fuck should prisoners be allowed to vote? They're in prison for a reason.
  • Options
    stargalaxy wrote: »
    For every sensible verdict you get from Europe, you get ten ludicrous ones. Why the fuck should prisoners be allowed to vote? They're in prison for a reason.

it's more a case of a blanket ban isn't allowed, i think it's to do with encouraging an active democracy, or it's to do with prisoners after they served time
  • Options
    stargalaxy wrote: »
    For every sensible verdict you get from Europe, you get ten ludicrous ones.
    I think a more accurate statement would be "for every ludicrous veredict you hear about from the European Court of Human Rights, there are literally thousands of good ones you don't hear about because the tabloids are not interested in them".

As a matter of fact the E.C.H.R. has in many instances become the last bastion of individual freedom against State intervention. Shame that those media outlets with an axe to grind only care to report a few selected cases while ignoring thousands of others.
  • Options
    I'm glad to see the court reached a reasonable verdict. Unless you are convicted for a serious crime, there's no safety for the public in keeping DNA profiles for an extended amount of time imo. In my eyes, DNA is something personal, a blueprint of "yourself" and may always be prone to misuse if kept against the wishes of an individual.