Home Politics & Debate
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

Obama, Europe and Russia

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
In this blog:
http://www.worldpoliticsreview.com/blog/blog.aspx?ID=2885

Judah Grunstein writes his opinions on the improvement of relations between Europe and the U.S. and also on what he sees should be the new goals for a western joint effort in an attempt to improve relations with Russia among others.

Do you think Obama will be successful in improving US relations with Europe? Will that also result in a common effort to improve the political climate with Russia as well?

I for one think he will be successful in improving European relations in the light of recent visits to Europe. But Russia? - Think we have to wait and see. Economic growth has enabled Russia to pursue it's attempt to restore the former position of a Superpower, so I don't think any attemt will help that if Russia doesn't decide to loosen up a bit. However, perhaps the financial recention will force Russia to work more on their relations?

Comments

• Options
    Not so sure about Russia T-kay ...I am worried about China. We call ourselves Europe but most european countries have their own way of doing things. Like no smoking here in England but in Holland there is not a ban to smoke specially in the coffee bars.

Will Obama improve relations? Have to wait and see next year.

Also worried about other countries too!
  • Options
    Obama could improve relations with Russia tenfold by just doing two simple things:

- Abandon plans for the ultra stupid and pointless missile defence shield

- Stop antagonising Russia by trying to bring NATO to its very doorstep by signing up all its neighbours to it

End of the problem.
  • Options
    Aladdin wrote: »
    Obama could improve relations with Russia tenfold by just doing two simple things:

- Abandon plans for the ultra stupid and pointless missile defence shield

- Stop antagonising Russia by trying to bring NATO to its very doorstep by signing up all its neighbours to it

End of the problem.

Yes, I agree to that, would at least give them fewer excuses. But I still think Russia would contiune to state their position as a superpower. Simply because, they've upgraded the army so much during the past few years which stems from their improved economy. Whether they can continue to do so during these financial times remains to see
  • Options
    Russia have just changed their constitution to allow a president to serve more than two terms. What's the betting this is the return of Putin and the formation of the world's newest dictatorship?
  • Options
    I live in a country that borders Russia, and Obama's victory has raised some concerns. Diplomacy simply doesn't work with them, and I'm not sure Obama understands that.
  • Options
    May I ask what concerns have been raised? Why do you also say Obama does not understand diplomacy?
  • Options
    becks, I believe mrsmith referred to the fact that Obama does not understand that Russians are not good diplomats (not because they cannot, but because they WILL NOT). And he's right. There's no such thing as becoming friends with Russia. Very difficult government and a nation who is addicted to its own rules.

@ I'm with stupid: you are definitely right. But even if they wouldn't have changed that, Putin is still Russia's silent leader.

As for Obama, I sure hope he is smart enough to see beyond the surface of everything. Nevertheless, there's nothing but a good thing to improve relations with any country.
  • Options
    On the matter whether Obama understands Russian diplomacy or not, I don't think he's as ignorant about Russia as it seems, but I think that any politician that are into negotiations with the Russian government certainly must have the balls to uphold their opinions and demands. Putins henchemen are the type of people who are likely to exploit weakness.
  • Options
    May I ask what concerns have been raised? Why do you also say Obama does not understand diplomacy?

It's not Obama who has the diplomacy problem...

I've spent a lot of time in Russian communities, speak Russian fluently etc.
    From what I've observed, most Russians primarily recognize brute strength, and the only way they'll respect you is if you somehow overpower them (of course I've met Russians who aren't like that, but that's still the general trend).

Also, I think it's evident in history, that Russia's foreign policy throughout the centuries has been:

1.Expand
    2.Decrease
    3.-go to step 1-

Obama is very intelligent, and where he might go wrong is expecting the same kind of intelligence from Moscow. That's just not going to happen. Diplomacy with Russian leadership is pointless anyway, because they think nothing of their word. As soon as you can't enforce whatever treaty you've made with them, they'll break it.

Now don't get me wrong, I know wonderful Russians (my mother amongst them), but the Russian government has always been crap. I hope Obama understands that relations with Russia are, for the most part, a game of "who's on top".