Home Sex & Relationships
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

Flatmates

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
Do you get on with yours?

One of mine is cool, but the other puts me down a lot and has a superiority complex...

Gets on my tits and I dunno if I should say anything... He told me not to leave my "shit" in the sink when that was the other flatmate and I am the only one who cleans properly anyway. :rolleyes:

I don't even bother to talk to him because anything I say, he basically argues against and anything I do seems inferior to him. e.g. I was discussing a book with a mate and he said "oh, another person who has never lived in the real world" about the author... A book he's never read by Emma Goldman. Regardless of your politics, that woman was pretty amazing and he just assumes that because she thinks differently, she's sheltered (btw, he worked a job for 2 years working 8 hours a week whilst Mummy paid rent and he thinks I go to dangerous places lol we live in a really safe part of town).

Fact is, he's really getting on my nerves and I dunno if I should tell him because I think he's quite insecure and has issues. I don't really care what he thinks... I just don't know how to tell him to stop being a dick and putting me down because I really cannot be arsed and am struggling financially as it is.

it's just the superiority thing which annoys me... I don't care about the geekiness or the mess. Just everything I seem to do is inferior, the films I like are crap, the food I cook means I'm not eating properly (I cook from scratch, he lives off pizza ect).

I'm fed up and just wanna leave.

Comments

• Options
    If he's shit to live with anyways, then just put him in his place, i'd definately give him a piece of my mind.
  • Options
    Well, just imagine that he was me, and... actually, on second thoughts, better not. It could be a bit difficult to get rid of the corpse afterwards. :p

Tell him.
  • Options
    People like that usually get what's coming to them.

In the mean time, just be content you know he's a fool and essentially ignore him. By ignore, I mean be very passive. If you're in a discussion like you said, and he barges on in with some dumbass comment, dismiss it absolutely. Don't even turn your head towards the noise. That's not the person you were talking to anyway.

Or patronise him.

Or do both (or neither, depending on your mood) and call him out. Tell him what an ass he's being. Confront people like that. Ask him why he thinks your diet sucks, why he thinks your film/artistic taste is crap. If he can't justify it, tear him a new one. You're paying to live there too. There's no reason why you should get treated as less.

Either way, be sure to have your finances set before you leave.
  • Options
    Just tell him to FUCK OFF! :)
  • Options
    I was in a similar(ish) position also with a flatmate of mine during my first year at uni.

Sometimes we'd get on ok, but most of the time he was an arrogant,egotistical, selfish, annoying bastard - and only to me!! He seemed to get off on the fact that I wasnt able to handle his joking, sense of humour etc as well as the others that I lived with (i was the only girl so i guess thats the main reason) and as a result, did it more and more just to purposefully upset me.

The point when I 'finally' said enough was enough - was when one night Id forgotten to lock my bedroom door, and he barged in without asking, and proceeded to literally pin me to the bed. He didnt DO anything, but because he was so much bigger than me, there was no way i could get him to get off me (even shouting for help had no effect), and he ended up doing that for about 2 hours before getting bored and leaving. (what a sad asshole if thats all he can think to do at night)
    Aaanyway, after that I phoned up campus security and they made him move. Kindve made me apprehensive, what with thinking he'd get revenge or whatever, but turned out that whenever i ran into him after then, he was very pleasant - the guards must have drummed some manners into him :rolleyes:

Aaand ive also just realised that 'really' this is in no way similar to your problem.
    My advice however, is to just tell him directly that he's pissing you off and is hurting your feelings/annoying you etc. And if that doesnt seem to have any effect, then theres the backup option of getting someone else involved to sort it out. I wouldnt be patronising to him though as that may just make the situation worse! I know in my case when i stood my ground I just made him more annoyed and willing to patronise me further :impissed:
  • Options
    soraliah wrote: »

The point when I 'finally' said enough was enough - was when one night Id forgotten to lock my bedroom door, and he barged in without asking, and proceeded to literally pin me to the bed.

WTF!?!?!? What a cock!!
  • Options
    **helen****helen** Deactivated Posts: 9,235 Supreme Poster
    Namaste wrote: »
    Do you get on with yours?

One of mine is cool, but the other puts me down a lot and has a superiority complex...

Hey Namaste, have you and the housemate you do get on with had a chat about how you feel? It might be worth working together to resolve some of the issues?

Namaste wrote: »
    I'm fed up and just wanna leave.

:( It's really miserable to be living somewhere feeling like you just want to get out... for that reason alone it may well be worth telling him how you feel. However, although this guy certainly sounds like an arse, if you go in and slate him and making it clear that you don't care what he thinks then it might not make any difference, or things might get worse. So maybe just standing up for yourself more and making it clear that you don't appreciate his comments when you try really hard to make things work in the house - and getting across the point - you don't criticise him, so why should he criticise you?
  • Options
    I adore my housemates and we get on wonderfully well but if they do anything that annoys me I tell them immediately. Not in a nasty or angry way, just tell them how it is. The ones that aren't so chilled that they don't care about anything do the same. We all respect each other so if we find out somebody isn't happy about something we make sure we sort it out. We've only had tiny problems anyway, and that's because we nip every issue in the bud so it doesn't escalate.
  • Options
    Have you talked to your "cool flatmate" about it? If you do, they might be quite supportive with it, and they may even have a word on your behalf.
  • Options
    MrG wrote: »
    Have you talked to your "cool flatmate" about it? If you do, they might be quite supportive with it, and they may even have a word on your behalf.
    Yeah may do... they get on though.
  • Options
    Well next time the flatmate from hell decides to be an arse, wait for the arsehole to leave the room, then bring it up with the cool flatmate, if they are there, they will notice.
  • Options
    Fuck that I chose who I wanted to live with in university. None of this moving in with randomers.