Home General Chat
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

Can someone explain something physicsy to me

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
Ok, there is a limit on the velocity of any mass object in that it cannot exceed c, because as it does it's mass approaches infinite.

But, what if two mass based objects have both accellerated over time (maybe planets?) so they're both travelling in relation to a third object (say, the centre of the galaxy) at 75% the speed of light. If you were on either planet, you wouldn't notice, but if you observe the second planet, it is indeed travelling at 1.5x the speed of light. But that's impossible. But at the same time, the third observer in the centre of the galaxy can confirm you are both definately moving at some pace in opposite directions.

What would actually happen? Would the universe detect a relative object was travelling quite fast and so automatically slow the first object down (which maybe explains gravity, lol) or.. what? :confused: Surely one object can't have two velocitys because then at a different time interval it would have two locations. Does not compute!

Comments

• Options
    No idea, but i can remember what parallax is :)
  • Options
    E = Mc2
  • Options
    Well, for a kick off, you wouldn't be able to observe anything traveling at 1.5 times light speed. The planet would be outpacing any signal or light coming from the second planet and would never know of it's existence.

And anyway, neither planet is traveling at 1.5 times the speed of light. If two cars set off at 25 miles per hour in opposite directions the distance created would be as if one was stationery and the other traveling at 50mph. But neither car is actually moving that fast. The people in each car may perceive that the other car is moving faster but that doesn't mean it actually is.

Each planet would only have one velocity, 0.75 times the speed of light. The 1.5 times the speed of light would only be perceived by the people on the other planet, who wouldn't actually be able to perceive it anyway, as they'd always be ahead of any light source or signal given off by the second planet.

Man, my physics is rusty.
  • Options
    Yes. Plus everything is quantum, so it's all ok.
  • Options
    Indrid ColdIndrid Cold Posts: 16,688 Skive's The Limit
    So, objects cannot surpass the speed of light... relatively to what? (Since all movement is relative)
  • Options
    So, objects cannot surpass the speed of light... relatively to what? (Since all movement is relative)

The speed of light itself.

The speed of light is a constant, 2.98 times ten to the power of eight meters per second. So if you're traveling a 200m/s, light will still be moving 2.98x10 to the eight m/s faster than you.

From what I remember of high school physics.
  • Options
    Baffling.
  • Options
    ShyBoy wrote: »
    Surely one object can't have two velocitys because then at a different time interval it would have two locations. Does not compute!

Rather interestingly, they can!

special relativity dictates that the observed velocity of an object is never greater than the speed of light.

also, events in two different locations that look like they're simultaneous to one observer, may not look simultaneous to another. Objects travelling at high velocities may experience time dilation, length dilation and all sorts of other weird stuff. :)

good ol' wikipedia's got some good stuff on relativity, paradoxes are always fun! http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ladder_paradox
  • Options
    I think that the physics geek answer goes something along the lines of as things speed up to approach the speed of light then time itself slows down. I have vague memories of learning about this in lessons on Einstein's theory of relativity from A-level physics.
  • Options
    This stuff always makes my head hurt, but see is Sagan and a few others helps -

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SIfRZhztNos
    (Only bit I could fin but there's a great episode of Cosmos on the theroy of relativity)

Basically speed is the measure of distance traveled in a unit of time. The speed of light is constant so what changes is time itself, as Randomgirl mentions. It's time that is relative.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AZ6N85lNgHY&feature=related

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C2VMO7pcWhg&feature=related
  • Options
    Holy crap that's confusing. Thanks for the help guys :D
  • Options
    try measuring it with ticker tape
  • Options
    ShyBoy wrote: »
    Ok, there is a limit on the velocity of any mass object in that it cannot exceed c, because as it does it's mass approaches infinite.

But, what if two mass based objects have both accellerated over time (maybe planets?) so they're both travelling in relation to a third object (say, the centre of the galaxy) at 75% the speed of light. If you were on either planet, you wouldn't notice, but if you observe the second planet, it is indeed travelling at 1.5x the speed of light. But that's impossible. But at the same time, the third observer in the centre of the galaxy can confirm you are both definately moving at some pace in opposite directions.

What would actually happen? Would the universe detect a relative object was travelling quite fast and so automatically slow the first object down (which maybe explains gravity, lol) or.. what? :confused: Surely one object can't have two velocitys because then at a different time interval it would have two locations. Does not compute!

It doesnt matter how much of a geek she says she is, the above will not help you pull her.
  • Options
    One thing you have to understand about the theory of relativity is that high velocities do not add. Two cars going 50km/h in opposite direction might be getting distance between them of 100km/h, but this is not valid for very large velocities. As soon as you put logic aside and accept that, all becomes clear.
  • Options
    Do physicist's still invent constants to make things work, when they otherwise wouldnt?
  • Options
    MrG wrote: »
    Do physicist's still invent constants to make things work, when they otherwise wouldnt?

that's pretty much how they came about, yeah :lol:
  • Options
    I know the truth :)
  • Options
    Indrid ColdIndrid Cold Posts: 16,688 Skive's The Limit
    I read all about time distortion in science illustrated once. The coolest thing was how things that happen "at the same time" might seem to happen at different times for an observer.