Home Sex & Relationships
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

Trying again

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
I've been with my partner for 18 months and although I still love her dearly last night she said that she doesn't want us to stay together.

I managed to persuade her that she should give me another chance, but although she agreed, she said "I don't see what difference it will make".

How would we go about starting again? I know that some of the issues are:
  1. I work very long hours, often 12-hour days
  2. She feels like she does all the housework (mostly as a consequence of the above)
  3. She doesn't really compliment me any more and avoids sex.

Any suggestions welcome; I really think it's far from over but we've been having problems since we moved in together in July. I just think that she's too ready to bail because the honeymoon is over.

Comments

• Options
    piccolo wrote: »
    I just think that she's too ready to bail because the honeymoon is over.

I think you may well be right here.

Stage 1 : Person falls madly in love

Stage 2 : Disillusionment

Stage 3 : Either commitment or flight

Too many people allow their disillusionment to cloud their judgement of their relationship. Most long term relationships last because the couples involved realise that they have a true friendship at the heart of their relationship, but that does require people to stand back and look at their relationship with some level of maturity. How old is she, by the way?
  • Options
    I agree with Teagan. I've been in a similar situation lately, only I've been the one thinking about leaving - I moved in with my boyfriend almost six months ago after having been together for a few years and at first I really struggled. I felt that I was being taken for granted, I didn't really want sex any more and couldn't stop thinking about what it would be like to be single again.
    Anyway, at the end of the day we're still together and I feel a lot happier. Our sex life is much better and although I am still a little envious of my single mates and their freedom, I'm enjoying living with my boyfriend much more and feel very lucky to be with him. What changed? Our communication patterns. I forced myself to raise my issues with him and talk through them and since then things have naturally improved. I think you need to speak to your partner and try to get her to tell you more about how she's feeling - it sounds like your relationship is worth trying to save, like mine is, and I think you just need to be honest with each other no matter how hard it is to hear how she really feels. Try re-introducing stuff that you might not have done for a while, like proper date nights, spontaneous gifts, weekends away or whatever. It might be worth looking at the time you do spend together - is it "quality" time or are you just in the same place at the same time because you both live there? I found I had fallen into a rut of spending far too much time following my boyfriend and his band around - fun at first but it made me feel like a spare part eventually, so I've stopped that and revived my own social life and that's made a huge difference too. I really hope you manage to work it out - no relationship is perfect and ours still isn't but I am glad I made the effort to work through the problems rather than running away from them. Good luck :)
  • Options
    You should get a cleaner - I know it might seem extravegant but ours costs £27 to clean a whole 3 bedroomed house so if your living somewhere smaller i won't be that much maybe £18 a week or £9 each - that way it will take some of the strain off her for feeling like she is doing all the house work and the guilt off of you - it will also mean you free up time to spend togeather.

I agree that you need to sit down and work out what the problems are and then see how you can address each of them.

I have a theory that pretty much anyone can go out with anyone else what makes relationships work isnt' this amasing chemistry or clicking (after the first few months) instead its a will on both sides to make it work and be willing to put in the effort.
  • Options
    i hope it works out for you.

Why does she say "she doesnt see what difference it will make"

Can you cut down your hours at work?
  • Options
    Yo what had, had happened to this
  • Options
  • Options
    i hope it works out for you.

Why does she say "she doesnt see what difference it will make"

Can you cut down your hours at work?
    No, the hours go with the territory. I am taking time out early as far as possible, so I can be home at 6 the nights I'm not working until 8 or 9.

She's 21, I'm 22, but she's still an undergraduate and she's completely financially independent because of her family situ, whereas I'm working and struggling for money.
  • Options
    why is she telling you that she does not want to stay together? I would ask her why she said that. It might just help to know why?
  • Options
    becks27 wrote: »
    why is she telling you that she does not want to stay together? I would ask her why she said that. It might just help to know why?
    I'm not really sure.

And now she's acting like nothing's happened, it's really frustrating.
  • Options
    I hope things work out kate :heart:
  • Options
    Well I've moved in with my parents until Sunday. I don't know what's going on. She says she doesn't love me.
  • Options
    Hey piccolo :wave:

Sorry to hear what you're going through it sounds like it must be really upsetting :( From what you've said though, it seems you have a great deal of belief in this relationship. That belief doesn't come from nowhere and it may be that right now it's just these practicalities in your relationship that are causing problems.

Having someone tell you they don't love you is going to be tough and isn't what you want to hear, perhaps she just needs some space to clear her head? Saying something like this, although dramatic, has led to you moving out until the weekend. If you can give her the space she needs you may find things get better. However, if she really does feel differently towards you then a bit of time apart will make things easier to talk through when you go back.

Although there can sometimes be a stigma attached to 'having a break' from a relationship, in fact a lot of people do and come out all the better for it :) You have only been living together for a few months and like StupidGirl said it takes time to settle in to one another's routines and figure out how to make things really work.

From what you've said she doesn't seem all that keen to communicate with you on this. If she is feeling overwhelmed or in need of some time to herself then it makes sense. If that's the case then try not to take it personally, perhaps take a step back, get your own head clear about the situation and try not to ask her what's going on, just give her the time.

Really hope things work out for the two of you. If you have something worth working for then you both need to be in the same place and a bit of time apart will only help to clear the air :)
  • Options
    I'm going over tonight (I moved out on Tuesday) to see her and talk things through.

I don't know what I'll do if she says it's over. :crying:
  • Options
    Good luck, I hope it goes ok for you :)
  • Options
    piccolo wrote: »
    Well I've moved in with my parents until Sunday. I don't know what's going on. She says she doesn't love me.

:( That sucks. Its a horrible thing to be told.

I hope its just a temporary blip and the distance either makes her realise what shes missing, or at least helps get your head clearer
  • Options
    I am so sorry, I have been in the position of having to tell someone that I cared about a huge amount that after a lot of years I didn't love them anymore and I have to say it took me a long time to get round to it after raising issues of feeling neglected and put upon we were basically living seperate lives and as long as my husband got what he wanted he really didnt make much effort to make sure that I was happy and that my needs were met.

Having read that you have been having arguments about the housework and your late hours though I really hope that by agreeing to make some changes and talking about it you can work through it together. I raised my issues and they were ignored and met with hostility which is why in the end the love faded and I gave up working on the relationship because I was putting the effort in and he wasn't. It sounds like you are willing to do something about it and communicate which I really do hope works out for you.

I think the point wyetry raised about the cleaner is a really good one, I know that it sounds excessive to most people and I certainly couldn't afford one but if you are working really long hours and can afford it then maybe it would give you that time together you both really need.

The other really good points raised are having "date nights" spending special alone time together and getting dressed up and making the effort for each other, scheduling time into your days to be together, maybe set aside a few hours for a scented bath and massage after work one night or cooking a special meal and eating it with your phones turned off and the lights dimmed and some background music, you might find that you start to talk when there are no distractions.

You mentioned that she rarely compliments you anymore but if you don't mind me asking do you think you have stopped making an effort for her?

I really do hope that she sees what you have together and feels that you can make it work with a bit of effort from you both xx xx xx
  • Options
    You mentioned that she rarely compliments you anymore but if you don't mind me asking do you think you have stopped making an effort for her?

I think I still make an effort for her but maybe you're right, it's too easy to take her presence for granted and I do look a bit of a mess slobbing around the house sometimes.