Home General Chat
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

major PC problem!

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
Switched on my PC as normal this morning and everything lights up, but there are no bios beeps! and it then came up with a message:

the boot devices have been changed, BBS boot priority will be affected. Please enter setup to check...

what do i do about this? and why has it happened?

theres no viruses on the computer, but it is getting a bit old, and i'm not hammering the system, unlike my mac!

Comments

• Options
    Okay - your primary hard drive should be the boot device. If you had a Cd or a floppy (can't imagine that but...) in the computer then eject it.

Normally you would enter setup with either f2, f10 or f12 (or according the Greg, the tech guy, maybe delete) to enter set up

You should then tell the computer from the setup screen to use your hard drive as the main boot device.

If you can't do that then the problem is likely to be with the hard drive.
  • Options
    you are wonderful Jim!

All sorted!

I think i need to go buy a back up external hard drive for my PC and the mac today....expencive but needed!
  • Options
    Cool, glad it wasn't anything too difficult to sort out :thumb:
  • Options
    JsTJsT Posts: 18,268 Skive's The Limit
    I'm looking forward to this day as I think one of my HD's is slowly slowly dying too :(:(:(

Its a bloody Seagate too!
  • Options
    JsT wrote: »
    I'm looking forward to this day as I think one of my HD's is slowly slowly dying too :(:(:(

Its a bloody Seagate too!

It could have been worse. It could have been a Hitachi "Deathstar" :-)
  • Options
    you are wonderful Jim!

All sorted!

I think i need to go buy a back up external hard drive for my PC and the mac today....expencive but needed!

A cheap way to backup important files is with a USB stick.

Really underated as backup devices. Then again it depends what you're trying to backup - they're not going to store 50gb of ripped films but one would argue that that wouldn't be the most crucial data to save...
  • Options
    ShyBoy wrote: »

Really underated as backup devices. Then again it depends what you're trying to backup - they're not going to store 50gb of ripped films but one would argue that that wouldn't be the most crucial data to save...
    well, i've got half a book i've writen on here, as well as all the lyrics i've written since 2006...pretty important shit...
  • Options
    If you want to store text upload it to a file storage site or email it to yourself there is no need to buy a USB stick or external hard drive.
  • Options
    ShyBoy wrote: »

I think you're wrong. A certain gender of a particular age-group will have more than 50gb of a certain type of ripped "film", and would rather lose a leg than their "stash" ;).