Home General Chat
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

(gaming) character detail

I played Final Fantasy 7 and The Sims adjacent to one another in 2001 which sparked off my interest in character detail in computer games. I would say that the FF7 characters were slightly more detailed but I was impressed with the range of clothes that Sim characters could wear, and there were many more clothes downloadable off the net.

Next up was year 2004. I played a demo of Star Wars Galaxy and Sims 2. Both had extremely intricate levels of facial and hair detail. I'd say that SWG had the edge here and I'm still yet to find a game that trumps it on character criteria.

Next was 2006 and World of Warcraft. Graphics and character design are OK at the time but getting outdated as the graphics engine is based on its 2004 release. WoW has plenty of other gaming value though - I regard it as a mix of The Sims, Final Fantasy, Age of Empires and MSN Messenger :-D

Now come 2008, almost 2009. What do you gamers on TheSite.org regard as having the most intricate character detail?

Bottom line - I'm not here in an attempt to recreate Lara Croft or anyone with big boobs. I'm interested in Poser etc, so that's why I asked about games.
Beep boop. I'm a bot.

Comments

• Options
    Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
  • Options
    [URL="´http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H92TO1b-y4Y"]Mass Effect[/URL]

Its hard to find words to describe how utterly amazing this game is!

They didnt only make human looking characters, they *felt* human too - it won several game of the year awards and rightly so, the storyline of Mass Effect is so deep and well realised it made you feel part of things.
  • Options
    [URL="´http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H92TO1b-y4Y"]Mass Effect[/URL]

Its hard to find words to describe how utterly amazing this game is!

They didnt only make human looking characters, they *felt* human too - it won several game of the year awards and rightly so, the storyline of Mass Effect is so deep and well realised it made you feel part of things.

I totally agree. The cutscenes were so much more enjoyable because of it.

I'd pick the Metal Gear series (from sons of liberty onwards) The detail is so realistic.
  • Options
    Yup Mass Effect was the one I was thinking of, my character really came alive in the cut scenes - just wish the costumes and weapons had a little more visual customisation to reflect the changes you made to them
  • Options
    Look at littlebigplanet and how different everyone can make their sackboy/girl characters with costume customisations.
  • Options
    Heavy Rain.

For games that are actually out, Altair in Assassin's Creed is possibly the best animated character I've seen.

The pinata in Viva Pinata are ridiculously detailed when you zoom right in.

Oh and Gears of War. As much as Marcus Fenix and co are stereotypical space marine meat heads with necks thicker than their heads, Epic know how to work their Unreal 3 engine.
  • Options

Seriously, I now really want a PS3
  • Options
    Jim V wrote: »
    Seriously, I now really want a PS3

The awesome thing? That scene can unfold in about 4 different ways. The girl can get away clean without alerting the guy, hide until he's distracted and run, fight him off or, and perhaps most mind blowingly, get killed and the game will just carry on.
  • Options
    That is indeed awesome sir
  • Options
    Mirror's edge imo.