Home Health & Wellbeing
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

Baby not taking as much as he sould

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
My little'un is nearly 1 month old and he only ever takes about 2oz, the midwife said he should be taking about 4oz when he was 2 weeks old but he just doesn't take much more than 2....unless he is really hungry and will take 3oz.

He isn't being breast fed for various reasons, though I was wondering if it was to do with his milk, Aptamil 1

Comments

• Options
    littlemissylittlemissy Posts: 9,972 Supreme Poster
    Not necessarily. Everyone is different, and that includes babies.

I think that, in cases like this, it is always best to speak to your health visitor. They will be able to advise you appropriately and be able to tell you what you should do differently, if you need to.

Oh, and congrats on the new babba, btw.
  • Options
    really know nowt about babies but did want to pop in and say congrats :)
  • Options
    Congrats on the birth of your baby...Aptamil 1 is a trusted, well known brand so I can't imagine its the brand. Is your baby tolerating the feeds well?
  • Options
    Congratulations!! How are you finding things?

All babies are different. At 1 month old their stomach is about the size of their closed fist. Its tiny. Some babies do guzzle a lot more milk than that, and others take far less. You might find he prefers to take little and often. It might not be the most convenient for you, but its totally natural and not anything to worry about. You cant really force a baby to take more, and why would you if you could?

If your baby seems contented, doing lots of wet/dirty nappies and is gaining weight ok, then I really wouldnt worry.

for what its worth, my 7mth old only takes a 5 or 6oz bottle, so i really wouldnt expect a tiny 1mth old to take 4oz
  • Options
    Cheers all.

The reason why I really asked because the midwife and health visitor keeps saying he should be drinking x amount and we should try and make him drink more, but I cannot see how you can force someone to eat if they are not hungry. To be honest, we're not really worried because it's not like he has gone off his milk.

The other thing is he seems rather constipated and doesn't go as often as he should, last week he was going about once a day, will mention that to the HV again tomorrow.

That aside, it's not going to bad at all, his quite content, sleeps most of the day, is awake most of the night etc lol.
  • Options
    dont listen too much to the health visitors tbh. If you dont think theres a problem (which it doesnt sound like there is) then just ignore the old witches. In my experience, and experience of a lot of friends, a good health visitor is a rare occurance. Generally theyre just busybodys sent to make you feel bad and worry you.

As for constipation, Heinz nurture formula has something in it to ease constipation. It might be worth giving it a try. Theres no medical reason for sticking with one brand of formula over another. Its all about which one suits your baby
  • Options
    Cheers Suzy, I heard it can give them an upset tum if you change their milk? I was gonna try SMA Gold but didn't for that reason.
  • Options
    SMA is notorious for causing constipation. Just be warned.

Ive heard a lot of HVs secretly recommend aptimil for some reason even though they shouldnt.
    Actually the difference between various formula milks is actually minimal. They all have almost exactly the same nutrition - they have to.
    I think Hipp organic is the best, and its actually the cheapest by about £2.
  • Options
    Aptamil is normally recommended for those switching from breast to bottle feeding as apparently it is the formula closest to the nutritional value of breast milk (?) As for your baby, every baby is different and will take different amounts. As long as he is having plenty of wet and dirty nappies, and gaining weight he is doing fine. He will let you know when he wants more!! If he is happy on the apatamil then there is no need to change his milk, as some babies do get an upset stomach changing milks, as the difference in the taste etc can be vast. With regards to the pooing, again every baby is different, not all bottle fed babies will go every day, as long as he is not straining to go and it is not hard when he does go, i wouldn't be too concerned. If you do have any worries speak to your health visitor :thumb:
  • Options
    none of them are close to breastmilk. Its actually illegal for companies to make such a claim anymore. They are all nutritionally adequate but theyre not anything like breastmilk. I dont know why people say that?