Home General Chat
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

Virgin Media caps...

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
Have they started using bandiwth caps during the day as well as evenings now??

Comments

• Options
    i get problems with youtube etc sometimes during the day and it seems my 20 goes down to about 7 or so during the day

caps easy enough to get round tho ;)
  • Options
    How? Wish I'd known that last year!
  • Options
    I'm flying high with sky BB :)
  • Options
    20 meg flat out here:D
  • Options
    www.cableforum.co.uk seems to have pretty much everything I've needed to know about VM.
  • Options
    Hahaha if they have.
  • Options
    JamesZero wrote: »
    Have they started using bandiwth caps during the day as well as evenings now??
    are you cable or adsl virgin media?

cable do have monitoring in the day as far as i know, more info here:
    http://allyours.virginmedia.com/html/internet/traffic.html

adsl is only monitored during peak hours and then capping applied during peak hours, more info here:
    http://www.virgin.net/helpme/broadband/faq/basics_traffic.html

i'm happy to translate if needs be :p
  • Options
    Welsh Jemz wrote: »
    are you cable or adsl virgin media?

cable do have monitoring in the day as far as i know, more info here:
    http://allyours.virginmedia.com/html/internet/traffic.html

adsl is only monitored during peak hours and then capping applied during peak hours, more info here:
    http://www.virgin.net/helpme/broadband/faq/basics_traffic.html

i'm happy to translate if needs be :p

Cheers for the info.

I didn't realise they capped from 10am - 3pm then 4pm till 9pm... what's the point in having a fast broadband if you can't use it!

I would leave but I don't have a normal phone line in my house and can't be arsed with sorting it all out lol
  • Options
    the cable capping system is a lot better and fairer than the adsl system tho in all fairness

just means it'll be a bit slower for a few hours but then it picks up

be glad you aren't on adsl where they are capped for 7 days :p
  • Options
    I phoned them in the end and got £13 quid off my bill every month for the next 12 months :D
  • Options
    Welsh Jemz wrote: »
    the cable capping system is a lot better and fairer than the adsl system tho in all fairness

just means it'll be a bit slower for a few hours but then it picks up

be glad you aren't on adsl where they are capped for 7 days :p

The downside is if you are unhappy with your Cable broadband service you cannot shop around and move to another cable company - with ADSL if you are unhappy - then there's probably about 20 companies in your area to choose from.
  • Options
    yeah this is true but luckily i haven't had any problems with my cable service :)
  • Options
    smitherzsmitherz Posts: 968 Part of The Mix Family
    I didn't realise it was capped either!! and i work for them. My speed doesn't seem to really be affected at any time.n I know that low signal levels can make a big difference to the 20 meg users tho
  • Options
    CoolMe wrote: »
    I'm flying high with sky BB :)

Me too .. I think there's a huge benefit to being with a company who's main business isn't broadband.
  • Options
    yeah you didn't return my call :p

i'm gonna find out who you spoke to in tech and tell them you want his babies!!

:lol:

i'm glad you're back online tho :)
  • Options
    Virgin Media - rip off?

I didn't want to pay BT £124 to have the phone line reactivated so we went with Virgin as we didn't need a phone line to use them. Any way, the missus' dad is with VM for calls and Internet and he said he pays £50 p/m for them both (I thought probably because he might have the XL phone/broadband package), he seems to think that they are the devil and will rip us off by increasing the prices every other month for broadband, I wasn't sure if this was coming from someone that just pissed off at VM and didn't really know whats going on or if VM are a bit sneaky?
  • Options
    ahhh

i'm off now till tuesday but i'll have a squiz at your account and see whats going on for ya
  • Options
    Makoto wrote: »
    I didn't want to pay BT £124 to have the phone line reactivated so we went with Virgin as we didn't need a phone line to use them. Any way, the missus' dad is with VM for calls and Internet and he said he pays £50 p/m for them both (I thought probably because he might have the XL phone/broadband package), he seems to think that they are the devil and will rip us off by increasing the prices every other month for broadband, I wasn't sure if this was coming from someone that just pissed off at VM and didn't really know whats going on or if VM are a bit sneaky?
    hmmm might be, tho in all honesty i don't know cos i don't deal with cable and tho i have cable at home i'm on a discounted staff package so have no idea what the real costs are :confused:

does he get it from cable or is his through a BT line?