Home Home, Law & Money
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

Car Insurance

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
Whats the difference between comprehensive and third part, fire & theft?

I'm not very good with this sort of thing! I'm just looking at how much the insurance for a smart car would be :chin:

Comments

• Options
    Third party, F&T means you're covered if your car is stolen or catches fire. It also covers the expense to someone else's car if you cause the damage. It does not cover your own car for damage

Comprehensive means you're covered for third party, fire and theft plus any damage done to your car be it your fault or someone else's
  • Options
    Ahhh thank you! I normally leave all this to the bf but as he's not here I have to cope on my own :crying:

So I'm guessing comprehensive is the better one to go for if it covers your car too!
  • Options
    It's not always better, you have to think about how what's best for your car. For a new one then you'll want comprehensive to cover any damages and keep your car in good condition. For an old banger it's less important because you can live with superficial damage, or simply scrap the car and not lose out.

Also for new/young drivers the excess on comprehensive is often quite high - mine was about £400 in my first year. That would cover a lot of damages without even going through the insurance! If your excess is more than the car's worth its not worth going for comp.

For a smart car I would though. The good thing is that you get piece of mind that no matter what happens your excess is the most you'll have to pay
  • Options
    Thank you!

I'm only having a quick look, I can't afford a car while I'm still at uni I'm just looking as I might treat myself when I qualify and manage to find a nursing job!

For now I'll have to stick to sharing my bf's old fiesta :(
  • Options
    No probs :)

I always go for comp just in case!
  • Options
    If someone else causes the accident their insurance will be liable though. But the problems arise when you are hit by someone who isn't insured, when someone hits you and doesn't report it (i.e. in a car park) and things like that. It's always been about the price because comprehensive has always been so expensive it would be cheaper for me to pay third party and then if I had an accident just replace the vehicle and sell the old one for scrap! But that's the joys of being a young male :p
  • Options
    It's not much better being a student nurse, supposedly insurance is higher for both students and qualified nurses. Why I haven't got a clue though?! :eek2:
  • Options
    third party only on a motorbike costs me about £500 a year and the damage they can do to other cars is limited since it's rare we will back into someone... lol. I think for a car TP is about £1k+ but I haven't checked recently.
  • Options
    No way is third party more than a grand, really, i've had a licence 6months and im fully comp for less than 1k
  • Options
    Lol that's not bad, maybe it's because of my location. Doing a search on TP only the cheapest is £913.84 for a 1.3l Renault Clio 1997 which is one of the lowest insurance groups. For fully comp the cheapest is £1,262.57 which isn't that bad actually but consider that's an excess of £450 on a £750 car I'm paying £350 a year extra to be covered for the £300 spare bit of car if it's completely totalled. Not really worth it!
  • Options
    ShyBoy, that insurance is so expensive!

I just got fully comp with £250 excess having only passed my test two weeks ago in a 1.4 Vauxhall Corsa 52 Reg for £604.00.

'Diamond' really is a girls best friend!
  • Options
    It can also depend on age too. When I looked at getting insured it was about £1000 at the cheapest, that was only in June when I passed and I was 20.

It was cheaper for me to go onto my bf's insurance, I think for 6 months it was £130, so from now on we will just do it that way as it works out cheaper.
  • Options
    but that means you'll build up no 'no claims bonus' in your name so if for some reason you need your own policy one day, u might find it expensive.

i paid £1100 third party for my first year of driving when i passed my test at 17 and it was only a 1.2 nova.
    now im 24, its £380 third party, fire and theft on a 2.0 MR2 GT
    yay for getting old!
  • Options
    Sikorah wrote: »
    but that means you'll build up no 'no claims bonus' in your name so if for some reason you need your own policy one day, u might find it expensive.

i paid £1100 third party for my first year of driving when i passed my test at 17 and it was only a 1.2 nova.
    now im 24, its £380 third party, fire and theft on a 2.0 MR2 GT
    yay for getting old!

No I don't until decemebr but then after that I do build up my no claims bonus if we stay with Admeral. I know in that sense it's a bit rubbish but otherwise I couldn't have afforded it!
  • Options
    rachie004 wrote: »
    You don't need to stay with one insurance company to build up your no claims, it works on how many years that you've been insured and haven't made a claim.

For example, I have four years no claims but have had insurance with 3 different insurance companies, if that makes anymore sense?

Ithink what the OP is saying is that she will stay on her bf policy and with admiral named drivers can build up their no claims which can in turn then only be used with admiral!
  • Options
    Ithink what the OP is saying is that she will stay on her bf policy and with admiral named drivers can build up their no claims which can in turn then only be used with admiral!

Yeah thats what I meant, sorry I'm not very good explining myself :blush:
  • Options
    If you are going to buy a new car, you definitely should consider getting comprehensive to cover any possible damages.

I used to have a neighbor who bought a new car and parked on the street overnight, and the next morning, when he woke up, his car got crashed from the side! no one would ever expect that, but that's why everyone needs the insurance.