Home Home, Law & Money
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

AWOL Landlord - what to do?

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
Long story short. The house I'm in now I grew up in, moved out when I was 17 did my own thing then moved back when I was 20, taking over rent from my mum, who moved to the other side of the country.

Landlord was a friend of my mums but since she moved they have no contact, no phone numbers or anything.

In those 2 years, I have only seen my landlord once, that was when I lost my housekeys on a night out and phoned him to see if he had a spare, he didn't so locks changed. No contact, anything.

So now situation is, I've cancelled my rent as I plan on moving in December/January. House has rising damp issues in kitchen and bathroom, garden is a mess (entirely my fault, not putting any blame on him) and he has no keys.

Combine with this, and speaking to my mum, he hasn't done a gas check on the house which is a legal requirement. He doesn't give a fuck as long as his money gets deposited every month.

Should I get the house upto scratch, and more to the point, so many people I've spoken have said those words - squatters rights - don't know what to do. Any ideas? Cheers people.

Comments

• Options
    Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Use askthesite or contact someone such as Shelter they will be able to help you, especially if you dont have a formal rental agreement.
  • Options
    BunnieBunnie Posts: 6,099 Master Poster
    I wouldnt bother to be honest. Sounds to me like you would just end up fighting for your deposit back anyways.

Just leave it, and move on.