Home Home, Law & Money
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

Council Tax

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
How does it work?

I am exempt as I am a student, however I live with two professionals.
Was wondering do you get a bill or do you have to pay without being given a notification of some sort?

Comments

• Options
    You phone the council when you move in and they will send you a bill.
  • Options
    If you are responsible for paying then you need to contact your local council to set an account up. You may need proff from the uni to claim the 25% discount
  • Options
    To clarify what purplebutterfly said, the others may be entitled to a small discount because of your student status, but the Council will need to see proof of this (which you can get from the registry in the form of a certificate) to allow it. You just need to pop down to the town hall to show it to them. Most boroughs have really clear guidelines on [insertboroughhere].gov.uk.
  • Options
    Cool! Thanks guys.

Only asking cause we haven't sorted it yet, and I don't wanna get into trouble regarding it all - especially not when I shouldn't be paying. But yeah, will get a certificate from the school on monday so I can hand it in.
  • Options
  • Options
    Fuck. This is a shit situation, I can see it causing problems already. Would have been a lot cheaper and more central to live in halls :(
  • Options
    I just have to say . .

That there could be another way of living, without politics and money? A way of living where we dont take over and think we own the natural world that made us? Look around and what do you see? What I see is a world where human kind think their superior to every other animal, insect and plant. A world where humans can put a price on the land we survive off and created us. Our race is destroying the world with pollution and war and its so rediculous because we dont need to be doing this. Co-operate and international companies telling people their product will make life better when all they want is money.

Heres the gloomy truth of what human kinds ignorance will cost our grandchildren, they may never get to climb a tree or pick a rose for ones they love and who do you think they'll be angry at for destroying the world? The answer is US. But we can change that, we can stop that from happening by screaming from the rooftops at our government to listen to reason. I know deep down in your heart and soul, nomatter what you have been brought up to believe, that you in some way agree with me that what we are doing and going to cause is wrong, that we cannot continue to let society be so blind.

If one in ten of us were to grow our own food, take the time to walk to work/college/school or even to town, If when your pulled over in your car waiting for somone or on the phone or eating lunch and you do somthing as simple as turn off your engine (many of you have given me the excuse that it uses more fuel to turn off then turn on again but that is WRONG. People dont drive 1950's cars anymore and its only turning on from a cold engine) then we can make a big difference.
  • Options
    To be fair you may find the politics and debate area more useful to discuss politics and money than this thread, which is really someone looking for help with their council tax bills.
  • Options
    Just an update - turns out 2 of us are exempt from council tax, so makes the situation that much easier. 3rd housemate might even be exempt as well.
    So yeah, major relief.