Home Home, Law & Money
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

I'm broke but all the things say I can't get benefits...

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
So I graduated a few months ago and got my first job... yadda yadda yadda some issues (not gross misconduct or anything, ethical issues and some illness that I can't even claim back for), they were going to sack me, but I had another job coming up and I quit. Now "in between jobs". I have part-time work amounting to around £63-£100 a week and I'm broke.

So I start a new job tomorrow, on a 3 week trial. It's around £250 a week which is great but I can't afford my rent this week. If I pass the initial 3 week trial, it goes up to £300 per week and I can earn comission. However that is a MAYBE and not a definite.

I've got a telephone appointment with the council on Tuesday about benefits and my council tax arrears (not to mention my credit card arrears and my ever increasing overdraft) and I've been doing a bit of research.

It seems I'm not entitled to anything.... whatsoever.... which is a load of crap because I can't even afford to feed myself at the moment. I haven't gone out, I've not gone anywhere... I've been working my arse off to find a new job, been working the online cashback sites scrimping to get some cash together to buy groceries, sold a load of my stuff on ebay and on the market. And yet I get nothing.

It's ridiculous. I mean... what can I do? In terms of this month's rent I'm going to have to go begging to my dad again which I reeeeeeeeally don't want to have to do. I think I'm owed about £100 odd from my ex-employer (when i resigned they sent me this long complicated e-mail about how they'd over paid me, I had too much holiday yadda yadda yadda, no more payments from them, but when I got my P45 there was about £100-£200 that I hadn't received logged onto it (which obviously goes towards my tax... thank you very much).

I'm just very much stuck between a rock and a hard place.

How accurate are these calculators and what on earth is LHA?

It's times like this that make me want to get sacked so I can at least get my roof over my head without hassle.

</rant>

Comments

• Options
  • Options
    basically the way they see it, you made yourself intentionally jobless, like if make yourself intentionaly homeless, then they won't help you...

i'm not saying that i agree with it, because i really don't and i sympathise with your situation, but is there not anything you can do to see if you can get away with not paying all the rent this week/month and say you'll pay next months/weeks rent and the arrears next week. Most landlords seem ok with that if you have a valid excuse and normally pay on time.
  • Options
  • Options
    I was going to mention discretionary housing payments, which you can't get if you don't apply so... Also, there's only so much money put aside for these so you need to apply as soon as you get into any trouble.