Home General Chat
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

writing a project brief for my new radio show...

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
(sorry maybe not best place but couldn't think of where was best)

I should have done this over the weekend but i forgot about it!

I need to write a project brief for my new radio show on the university's radio station. Its going to be the rock night essentialy, they haven't had one before and i want to present it as a really beneficial thing for the radio station to take on, as i personally think it would really boost their listenership, as well as provide more diversity.

So far i've got:

Mix of old and new Rock, metal, industrial, goth, glam, etc (i could go on forever here and i need to be a bit more specific i think)
Some genre specific news i.e. bands going on tour, new releases, etc
Weekly features

Sorry i seem to be useless at doing these kind of things, i.e. selling myself and my ideas to others. what else could i say?

Comments

• Options
    i think you need to be much more specific - what kind of weekly features? who's going to be involved, how much of the show would they take up etc.

are you going to do interviews - if so, who with and show that you have the contacts to actually be able to get the people you want to interview.

what about competitions?
    how are you going to get listeners involved?

maybe something that proves the show will be popular - you say it will boost their listernship but how do you know that? maybe some facts and figures that show the genres you want to play are popular with the listeners.

maybe also write an example of a play list for a show. in fact, why not write an example of a whole show eg, you're going to start by playing two tracks, then there'll be an intro to the show, then you'll chat to someone about something. it's better to show you have a plan of exactly how the show would work in practice, rather than just vague ideas/

also a little bit about yourself, show off your knowledge and show you're passionate about it.
  • Options
    How would i show facts and figures? where would i get them from without doing a time consuming market research thing?
  • Options
    ok, this is what i've now come up with:
  • Options
    I think that looks good :) I used to work on a rock/metal radio show and it was run on similar lines. We also used to read out the rock/metal charts which are on Radio 1's website (not sure if that's allowed, now I think about it!) and I - as researcher - would scour the net for titbits of rock/metal news and so on.
  • Options
    Looks all right, but I found
    and last year got to go on a weeks placement with radio one.

doesn't read as professionally as it could.
  • Options
    You could talk about how it gives you a more relevant audience for advertising things like live music nights at the union. So it's not necessarily about getting more listeners, but getting a better quality of listeners as far as advertising goes, and hopefully higher ticket sales for live events in the union. Depending on your schedule, it might be possible to get members of any bands playing on your radio show for an interview, even if only on the phone.
  • Options
    the radio station isn't really connected to the union like that, but i'm hoping to tie both the radio show and my club night to the rock society.

I'll do another draft and put it up.
  • Options
    second draft:
  • Options
    Certainly much better.