Home Sex & Relationships
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

What's the difference between love and infatution?

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
How do you know when you do love someone? And don't say, you JUST KNOW. I need a better explanation.

Comments

• Options
    It's like the way you feel they're part of you. Like family, or best friends. I mean obviously with a partner there is a different element to it where you do have this infatuation and want to kiss them and cuddle them and leap on them and such. But you don't need to be in love with someone to be infatuated with them. But when you're infatuated with someone you can (sometimes) convince yourself you love them when really you don't.
  • Options
    The word "infatuation" actually means "to make foolish," which is exactly how many people feel when the initial euphoria of a relationship wears off. Infatuation is a temporary, ephemeral feeling of (often) sexual attraction for another person. Love is more rooted in our 'soul' and indicates deep commitment, devotion and being prepared to make sacrifices for the other person.
  • Options
    To me, there's been many times where i've said to myself "I'm in love", looking back i know that not to be true. I can't - and won't - speak on behalf of anyone else and i personally think there's nothing concrete about the way to describe what love feels like, it's a personal thing but i do know that i wasn't in love; i was infatuated, "in lust", or in the throes of a deep, deep crush.
    I knew this because all the girls i liked, i didn't actually know: i didn't know even the silliest little things like what their favourite lesson was and i'd barely held a conversation with them. The first girl i ever "loved", was when i was 12... need i say more? I thought she was my Juliet and at the time, i thought she was sex on legs. I longed for her so much and the feeling, looking back, was fucking awful and disturbing. I mean i barely knew her yet i could barely sleep a wink over her. Eventually - although it seemed like an eternity - i got over her and i remember when i was like 15, i looked at her once (she used to bunk a hell of a lot) and thought "jesus fucking christ... i thought that this girl was sex on legs? Eyuuuck!"

By the age of 15 there were 2 other girls i was "in love with" at school and about 3 that were away from all of that. Again, i barely knew any of them and one of them i only liked because she fancied the pants of me for some unknown reason - i'm certainly not blessed in the looks department. I guess i liked being liked and i was in love with that, not her. It wasn't a pleasant time... being young and dumb and thinking that every girl i met was my earth. Had it not been for the fact that so many other people have had similar experiences, i wouldn't be telling you all this as it's embarrasing at at the time i felt like a stalker because i acted like one. I'd even find out what lessons they had and convieniently make it out like i just happened to stumble past them as they were either going in, or coming out from their lessons... even if my lesson was situated at the other side of the school!!!

I've matured somewhat since then and there have been people who i thought i loved - hell, one of them i think i came close to loving and i told her i loved her. She was someone who i've known for the past 5 years of my life and we became so close, sharing so many things. If things had been different, i reckon she would have been the one (i won't go into it but we're still mates). There was another person who i cared for so, so much and in my own way i loved her. She wasn't right for me, that's for sure but i wanted to protect her and be the one she needed when she was ever down. Unfortunately, she never looked at me that way and never will. Like i said, she wasn't right for me so even if i was the apple of her eyes, it would have never been a great relationship but the difference between her and my previous "loves" was that i knew her well. we spoke, we shared things and i knew all those dumb little things that i actually find really important, like her favourite lesson or colour.

I struggle to say that i have been in love because i'm always constantly asking myself: is it love or just infatuation??? My problem is that if i ever actually did fall in love, i'd probably fool myself into thinking it was nothing but lust and longing. each individual is different - what love is to you is a personal matter. the truth is you're always gonna find people asking what love is and what infatuation is. I hate to say it, but yeah, i have been in love. Once or twice, i can't decide. It fucking kills when you know someone doesn't love you back - and i'm in a position where one of the girls i loved - the one who's just my mate - still probably holds that candle for me... i never thought i'd stop loving her like i did, but i do. that bond we held, that promise - that conncection like we were one person and not two isn't there. The fact that it was makes me face up to the fact that i did love her, and my heart felt whole when i did. I felt complete and as badly as i lusted over those other girls in my early teens, i NEVER felt like that, not really.

Like i said, it's a personal thing. I have to sum love up like this for my own personal well-being:

If i'm thinking with my c**k, it's lust
    If i'm thinking with my heart it's love.

Sometimes the two become intertwined, but the older i get and the colder my heart grows, the easier it is to separate the two. everyone's different. To some, love is power and abuse so who's to say what's what?
  • Options
    There is no difference.

I think we place the meaning to relationships out of our own free will and responsibility. When we choose to be in love, we are in love.
  • Options
    you *do* just know
  • Options
    you *do* just know
    :yes:
  • Options
    Indrid ColdIndrid Cold Posts: 16,688 Skive's The Limit
    you *do* just know
    Sorry, but I think I've already proven that wrong.

I *did* just know when I was 13. And then I truly *did* just know when I was 15, and I also knew I was wrong the previous time. And afterwards, I definitely *did* just know when I was 17, and again I knew I had been wrong the previous time (presently, I'm not sure about this time). Each of these times it was something "stronger" that just made me see the previous thing in a very different light.
    My point is that even if you *do* just know, there could always be something bigger in the future that will make you realise you were wrong, and there's no way to tell until (if) it does.
  • Options
    just because youve loved before, doesnt mean you wont love again, and just because you know you love someone, doesnt mean your heart wont get broken and it doesnt mean that love cant die.

I have been in love three times
  • Options
    just because youve loved before, doesnt mean you wont love again, and just because you know you love someone, doesnt mean your heart wont get broken and it doesnt mean that love cant die.

I have been in love three times
    That's not what I was saying... You say you've been in love 3 times, I say I have been once or maybe none. But I had thought I was 3 times, and all of these I was absolutely sure about it; I "just knew" like you said.
    Unless you can see the future, till the end of your life even, you can't know that there isn't a point where you'll realise you've been wrong.
  • Options
    if its real at the time, then its real. I love my boyfriend more strongly than i loved my exes, but at the time, i loved them and to me, it was as real as anything.
  • Options
    For love I think an important part of knowing is that it's requited and you both share it.
  • Options
    For love I think an important part of knowing is that it's requited and you both share it.
    Then you need to add that to your clue, instead of saying "you just know" which doesn't include the above. ;)
  • Options
    Ok but if I'm adding that I want to add that if it's not shared then it's most likely just infatuation anyway.
  • Options
    Ok but if I'm adding that I want to add that if it's not shared then it's most likely just infatuation anyway.
    Exactly!
  • Options

Does that mean there's no such thing as unrequited love then?

Although you make a very good point I think ultimately people have to make up their own minds whether they're in love or not because it's such a hugely personal thing. It seems unlikely that someone whose not actually in a relationship with the person can have that level of feelings but then again I don't doubt there are some that do.
  • Options
    ooh tough one. I think I'm talking about being IN love and so for that it does have to be requited.
  • Options
    i think you can love someone without it being requited. Definitely. As a parent I definitely know that
  • Options
    i think you can love someone without it being requited.

In my experience unrequited love is usually stalking

edit:- not that i have been doing any stalking
  • Options
    no it isnt. One of my exes was madly in love with. I thought he loved me too. He told me later he thought maybe it wasnt love.

Does that negate what i felt? No!
  • Options
    Love is something that gets in the way of sex. Women need to understand that time wasted "snuggling" them is time that could be spent humping them.
  • Options
    I think that the difference between infatuation and love also has something to do with someone's flaws...if you love someone, you recognise that they have flaws and you love them despite them or even because of them. If you're infatuated, you make excuses for or fail to see the flaws and just view that person as perfection itself. It's an idealised view of someone I think.
  • Options
    infatuation and love, whats the difference?

well they sure can feel like each other at times, because maybe they are the same thing or at least can breed and breath off each other. to much of a good thing can be a bad thing!

There are some feelings we have when infatuated that we don’t have when we’re feeling love. Some of the “symptoms” of infatuation are; feelings of panic, uncertainty, overpowering lust, feverish excitement, impatience, and/or jealously.

When infatuated, we are thrilled, but not happy, wanting to trust, yet suspicious. There are lingering, nagging doubts about our “partner in infatuation” and their love for us. We’re miserable when they’re away, almost like we’re not complete unless we’re with them. It’s a rush and it’s intense. It’s difficult to concentrate. And most infatuation relationships have a high degree of sexual charge around them. Somehow being with them is not complete unless in ends in some type of sexual encounter.

Do any of these “symptoms” resemble feelings of love? Hardly. So why do we become infatuated? Where does it come from? Perhaps it’s biological.

When infatuated we experience a surge of dopamine that rushes through the brain causing us to feel good. Norepinephrine flows through the brain stimulating production of adrenaline (pounding heart). Phenylethalimine (found in chocolate) creates a feeling of bliss. Irrational romantic sentiments may be caused by oxytocin, a primary sexual arousal hormone that signals orgasm and feelings of emotional attachment. Together these chemicals sometimes override the brain activity that governs logic.

The body can build up tolerances to these chemicals so it takes more of the substance to get that special feeling of infatuation. People who jump from relationship to relationship may be craving the intoxicating effects of these substances and may be “infatuation junkies”.

When the chemical flood dries up, the relationship either moves into a loving romantic one or there is disillusionment, and the relationship ends.

I think you can fall in love many time's over. let it be a learning experience for everytime your heart breaks and rips, give it time to scar and heal, very important! work with rebounds but trust me dont be sneaky about things as it will only bite you in the bum. remeber karma? what goes around comes around i have found to be quite true. although im sure you will personaly witness it at one point in your life, anyway.
    bring the qualities to your next relationship and work on the things about your personal self that you yourself found unattractive now you look back, maybe jealousy? control? or being to weak and controlled. well its a funny game and nobody can give you the answers you have to find them.

good luck on life everyone remeber its easier to love than to hate lol or is it?
  • Options
    Teagan wrote: »
    Love is something that gets in the way of sex. Women need to understand that time wasted "snuggling" them is time that could be spent humping them.

man, shame that you are gay. You've got all those secrets figured out already :p
  • Options
    ok, i've only been deeply and truely in love twice...once i went out with that person for a good long while, the other has always remained unrequited...but it has always been love, and its likely that i'll always have a spot in my heart for them. I think i was very very close to love with my ex, but i think because of how manipulative he was he really charmed me and i was infatuated.

but on that same note, i've been so infatuated with people in the past the line starts to blur, and its like something has completely taken over you, and you think that you're in love and no matter what that person does, you still desperatly want to be with them. Not good, and leads to crap.

but i think its the desperation which makes the difference between being in love and infatuated. if you are desperate to always be in contact, to always be with them...then maybe its not love...but if you really apreciate the times you have together, but still miss them (again remember the desperation here) without going loop de fucking loop when they aren't around and you haven't been able to get hold of them all day then that likely to be love...

tegan...you are SO fucking missing out. Theres nothing like cuddle sex! :)