Home Health & Wellbeing
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

epidural! good or bad?

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
I'm 9 months, due any day, and considering it, theres good sides but also possibly really bad sides to having this.

Anybody got personal experiences on epidurals? or natural births with gas?

Comments

• Options
    I had an epidural. I tried gas and air and I felt drunk, sick so I didnt like it. Ruby was back to back and was turing so it was extra painfull, so I asked for an epidural, the anethist (sp) came and put it in, wasnt too painfull (compared to labour it was a walk in the park!) and it didnt work! Apparently I was taller then he thought and he put it in lower then he should:confused: the midwife said he can come and do it again, but I said not to bother. It numbed my vag and legs but not my back/stomack.

I had to have a vontuse because my contractions slowed down and they tried a drip but that didnt work, so I did tear, but I didnt feel a thing! I had to have stiches aswell and I didnt feel a thing when they was doing it too, so I am happy I had one, although it didnt ease the pain, I didnt have any pain when she was being born - I have head it is supposed to sting alot. I did feel her coming out, but it wasnt painful!

I would have an epidural again, incase it does work;) but in a way I wished I didnt have one cos I was 5cm dilated and I was half way there! The midwife said well done on not having any pain relief cos the epidural didnt work, but I just breathed through them, didnt talk or scream, I just when into my self and thought my baby:heart:

Try gas and air, you might like it, you might not but you could try something after. I just went with the flow, didnt write a birth story cos I knew things can change.

Good luch with it:) You will be fine. Enjoy it, I know it sounds silly but its the most magical experinece ever!

Oh and you dont get points for not having pain relief, my mate had no pain relief and was showing off, I though you bloody fool, going through all that pain when you can have something!:lol:

Sorry its abit long! But good luck with it. Let us know how you get on :)
  • Options
    I wanted to give birth with no pain killers at all, but my dr kept telling me to come prepared with an open mind...and imo that was the best piece of advice anyone gave me about giving birth.

I wasn't dilating very fast at all and had my dr break my waters, contractions got worse but still not much progress. So, my mum convinced me to have some pethidine...i HATED it! It made me fall asleep in between contractions and then i was in agony when they came.

Still wasn't dilating very well so my dr wanted to put me on a drip to speed up the contractions, at this point i wouldn't let my midwife/any nurses near me until the anesthetist arrived to explain things and his nurse came to set things up. They gave me some local anesthetic in my back, so i couldn't feel anything in my back while they were sorting it out, the hardest part of the whole thing for me was staying still through the contraction i had while they were finishing up.

Mine worked perfectly, lying on my side would cause some feeling to come back on that side but all i had to do was move onto my back and everything was perfect again. My dr advised me to let the midwife lower the dose as i approached the pushing stage, but i was having none of it. My pushing was too weak and i ended up having a ventouse delivery, which didn't bother me in the slightest, especially seeing as they didn't give me an episiotomy. I had a teenie tear on the inside and one little stitch. When the epidural wore off i was exhausted but i didn't feel any pain, just a little odd down there.

Good luck
  • Options
    I had one and it was great stuff, shame i ended up with emergency section though.
  • Options
    This is only called "epidural"? What is that supposed to mean?

all I know as a paramedic is a epidural bleeding, and that's something you don't want to have.
  • Options
    I had an epidural with my first baby, but not with my 2nd or 3rd. I preferred my natural births by a long shot, but i think for a first labour you need to keep an open mind. See how you go without one. You may well be absolutely fine and cope bettter than you imagine.
    I didnt like the fact it makes you basically stuck to the bed, not just for the labour, but for quite a while afterwards too, and you have to be catheterised too. It also increases the risk you may need an assisted delivery - ie forceps or ventouse because it numbs the whole area, it kind of removes the urge to push and also the ability unless it wears off in time.
    It is really effective for pain relief though. Just see how you go.