Home Home, Law & Money
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

How to claim for damaged goods that are sent via post?

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
This woman brought an item from me via eBay and they received it on Tuesday and have since told me that the goods were damaged because it wasn't packed properly. She didn't want me to post it so she had it picked up via DHL, she wants the paper work the van driver gave to me so she can claim, is this correct because it seems a little fishy as the item was bubble wrapped and had polystyrene blocks to hold it together, and it seems like it's really badly damaged but I have no idea how it got this damaged as the item is quite solid.

Comments

• Options
    Probably trying to scam.
  • Options
    She would be the one claiming if she paid for it to be sent. To be fair I've had stuff sent to me that should have been fine that's been broken or smashed, so it's perfectly possible.

She should have the paperwork though if she was the one paying. If you were the one who paid it should be you claiming it on the insurance though, not her?
  • Options
    That's right it is her that is claiming + she paid for DHL herself, but she wants the invoice that was left by DHL, I would have thought that she would have had the paper work she needed?
  • Options
    The receiver (i.e. the woman) can only claim on damages on the day that the item was delivered. If it's 1 day after or later, then her claim is void.

This comes from my knowledge of dealing with several courier companies at my workplace, not just DHL.

Plus, yes, it will be the woman who gets given the paperwork.