Home Health & Wellbeing
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

Relaxation techniques...

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
K, so I have a...problem...and the doctor said to look at relaxation techniques to see if that helps it. Now I don't want to go looking/spending money on things without seeing what other people's experiences are. I've tried breathing. Breathing didn't work. Basically I need something to stop me from tensing up, and much as breathing did help me relax, as soon as the...thing happened that causes the problem I just tensed right back up again and the problem happened.

I don't really want to say what it is because it's kinda embarrassing but let's just say it really mother fucking hurts.

If anyone could help that would be lovely.

Comments

• Options
    rescue remedy?
  • Options
    Ballerina wrote: »
    rescue remedy?
    Does it work?
  • Options
    Franki wrote: »
    I've tried breathing. Breathing didn't work.

Rule number 1 to live : Always breathe! ;)

You don't say what the problem is (although it sounds stress related) but do you exercise much? Exercise is a actually a good way of 'relaxing' and excellent for alleviating stress.
  • Options
    Teagan wrote: »
    Rule number 1 to live : Always breathe! ;)

You don't say what the problem is (although it sounds stress related) but do you exercise much? Exercise is a actually a good way of 'relaxing' and excellent for alleviating stress.
    I don't really know if it's just stress or if stress is just a part of it tbh. Mostly this is trying to rule that out so I can get to the bottom of it.
  • Options
    My ex had the same problem if it is what I think it is I think it's due to anxiety and stress really. Just building up her self esteem and making her feel better about herself like she could 'conquer the world' would seem to help.
  • Options
    Bit difficult to be much help without knowing what the problem is, but there are the age old relaxation techniques - long baths with all the trimmings (face masks, hair packs etc), listening to chilled music, going for a massage or facial...also I used to find when I had trouble getting to sleep there is a muscle-relaxing technique you can do where you tense up every muscle in your body all at once and then VERY SLOWLY relax each one working from your toes up. I used to find it helped me chill out, empty my mind and get to sleep much quicker :)
  • Options
    study the teachings of Buddha!
    1) The Truth of Suffering: We see suffering all around us. War is suffering. Terrorism is suffering. Sickness is suffering. Death is suffering. Abortion is suffering. The Truth of Suffering is not limited to what we can see. The Buddha speaks of other realms of existence and other types of beings ? other than humans and animals ? that also undergo suffering ? only suffering. Suffering pervades the entire span of existence in all its types and locations. This is the Truth of Suffering. Its scope is wider than just human or animal suffering, and it is not limited to our point in time. This is knowledge that we could not have, had the Buddha not taught us.

2) The Truth of Cause of Suffering: Buddha said suffering does not come arbitrarily. It does not occur by chance. It does not happen without a reason. There is a cause corresponding to every suffering. He said suffering arises as effect of the ten negative actions ? killing, stealing, and so forth ? under the influence of negative emotions such as hatred, greed, and so forth. Suffering in this life could have as its cause a negative action done in a previous life, or previously in this life. This is important to know. This is knowledge that we could not have, had the Buddha not taught us.

3) The Truth of Removal of Suffering: Buddha said suffering can be completely removed and a peaceful state can be attained by anyone. This is the Truth of Removal of Suffering. This is the goal of the Buddha?s teachings. That such a state is even possible is the knowledge that we could not have, had the Buddha not taught us.

4) The Truth of Path: The Buddha also taught us how to remove suffering. This is the topic of Buddha?s teachings. Just as a path leads to a destination, the Truth of Path leads to the destination of the Truth of Removal of Suffering. The Truth of Path involves not doing negative actions such as killing, stealing, and so forth; and instead doing only positive actions such as protecting lives, being generous, and so forth. The knowledge of what removes suffering is the knowledge that we could not have, had the Buddha not taught us.

http://www.thefournobletruths.org/
  • Options
    Too confusing! :)
  • Options
    Franki wrote: »
    Does it work?

it helps calm me down when i'm freaking out, but it probably won't be enough on its own
  • Options
    Ballerina wrote: »
    it helps calm me down when i'm freaking out, but it probably won't be enough on its own
    Hmmm, that's just it though, it's not that I'm not calm, and I'm fine up til right before and then when I know it's gonna happen I just tense up and it's fucking irritating :(.
  • Options
    Try doing 10 minutes of exercise a day...even light stuff, like touching your toes, stretching, a few sit ups. I get similar problems and am starting these short exercises tomorrow! Hopefully will help. Well I already proved it to myself by doing jogging for a while, everything in life felt so much better even though it was a struggle! But then I wenty an injured myself at work otherwise I would still be doing it. So it's back to basics for the moment.
    Agree nice long baths can help, thats what I've been doing in the meantime or go for a massage, I do once in a blue moon when I'm not broke and feel like trash!