Home Health & Wellbeing
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

test your body fitness

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
Hello,

Determine your body fitness = calculating your BMI "In my opinion"

so what is BMI ?
Body Mass Index (BMI) can be used to indicate if you are overweight, obese, underweight or normal. It will, however, overestimate fatness in people who are muscular or atheletic. Because of these problems, this body mass index calculator shows extra statistics to help you be informed and judge your own body compared to others of the same height and age.

How can i determine My BMI ?
you can determine it with easy step with bmi calculator sites like this one >>> body mass index

My BMI is ..... what about it ?
Women tend to believe they look their best at values between 20 to 22 and men are usually satisfied with a BMI of 23 to 25. If your BMI is between 17 to 22, your life expectancy is longer than average. You don't need to lose weight.
If your BMI is between 23 and 25, you are not considered overweight by most people. But if your BMI is 26 or more, that's not good. But you knew that already.

what about BMI world statics ?
See this static
fatcountrycharttr3.gif

If you have Another information about BMI please supply us with it.
thank you in advance and I hope My first thread here in this great forums contain useful information. and I hope you have good BMI.

Comments

• Options
    johnmack wrote: »
    Hello,

Determine your body fitness = calculating your BMI "In my opinion"

so what is BMI ?
    Body Mass Index (BMI) can be used to indicate if you are overweight, obese, underweight or normal. It will, however, overestimate fatness in people who are muscular or atheletic. Because of these problems, this body mass index calculator shows extra statistics to help you be informed and judge your own body compared to others of the same height and age.

How can i determine My BMI ?
    you can determine it with easy step with bmi calculator sites like this one >>> body mass index

My BMI is ..... what about it ?
    Women tend to believe they look their best at values between 20 to 22 and men are usually satisfied with a BMI of 23 to 25. If your BMI is between 17 to 22, your life expectancy is longer than average. You don't need to lose weight.
    If your BMI is between 23 and 25, you are not considered overweight by most people. But if your BMI is 26 or more, that's not good. But you knew that already.

what about BMI world statics ?
    See this static
    fatcountrycharttr3.gif

If you have Another information about BMI please supply us with it.
    thank you in advance and I hope My first thread here in this great forums contain useful information. and I hope you have good BMI.

BMI is a flawed and inaccurate way to workout your 'Body Fitness', IMO. It has virtually nothing to do with fitness!

Body fat % is a much more accurate/effective method of measuring this.

I wonder if this thread will turn out to be an interesting one...
  • Options
    I don't pay attention to my BMI, I find it an unreliable way to monitor fitness. For example my sisters husband is relly into body building and has been for years and is pretty much pure muscle, but according to his BMI he is obese.
    It doesn't give an accurate picture!
  • Options
    oh wow, austria's quite good on the bmi stuff. whoooo.
  • Options
    does good bmi mean good health ?
  • Options
    johnmack wrote: »
    does good bmi mean good health ?

No. It doesn't. That's the short, simple and accurate answer.

To expand:

'Good' BMI just means that you fall within an 'acceptable' zone of height against weight. It has nothing to do with health/fitness etc as it doesn't take into account muscle, fat etc. Nor does it take into account lifestyle - i.e. actual physical fitness and diet. You could be a skinny couch potato, and yet you could likely fall into the 'good' zone. This couch potato is unlikely to be able to run up more than a couple of flights of stairs, yet according to the BMI and the misguided fools who think it a good thing, they are 'healthy'.

Somebody who is athletic, on the other hand, such as myself are borderline overweight, even though my body fat is around 10% at the moment (and I'm not a big fella at all!), and I watch my diet etc etc. A body builder is likely to be classed as obese.

I don't have time to go into more detail on this right now, but if I get a chance I will jump right on it, but the above should make things clear enough at a basic level.

BMI = Rubbish.

I have to ask, where and more importantly why did you post this thread? Are you affiliated with some health group/club/organisation etc?
  • Options
    While i am overweight, BMI seems to think i need to lose 3 stones to get just within a normal weight.

If i did that i think i would quickly go from looking normal to skinny.

I am as i have said overweight, but people dont see me as being, my calves are fecking huge, as are my thighs, much muscle from running and cycling.
  • Options
    I am however quite disturbed how many people think that BMI is an indication of fitness / health. I have a friend who went to his doctor because he has serious eating issues which he wants to get sorted - as in he hardly eats and when he does its nearly always bread and cheese or a burger or rather worryingly he pretty much just drinks protien shakes and he hasn't eaten vegetables in over 25 years and really wants to get it sorted and started eating healthily and the doctor was pretty much like well your within the BMI limits so your not technically underweight so you don't technically have an eating disorder............
  • Options
    Wyetry wrote: »
    I am however quite disturbed how many people think that BMI is an indication of fitness / health. I have a friend who went to his doctor because he has serious eating issues which he wants to get sorted - as in he hardly eats and when he does its nearly always bread and cheese or a burger or rather worryingly he pretty much just drinks protien shakes and he hasn't eaten vegetables in over 25 years and really wants to get it sorted and started eating healthily and the doctor was pretty much like well your within the BMI limits so your not technically underweight so you don't technically have an eating disorder............

Yes, doctors are often the most guilty of using BMI as a measure of various health 'issues'. :mad: