Home Home, Law & Money
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

Car MOT

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
My car has an MOT with 6 months left but recently the driver's side door won't open from the outside, only from the inside. Am I allowed to have it on the road?

Comments

• Options
    probably (I don't know really but I assume so) but then again why risk it if there's something bigger at fault that could cause the door to swing open on the motorway or something I'd get it checked out because you'll just have to get it repaired for your MOT anyway.

Failing that just get a haynes manual and have a bash yourself, it's great fun and the mechanic is there for when you still can't fix it.
  • Options
    It won't swing open or anything, the lock is functional but the handle is broken. My boyfriend's dad couldn't fix it and he is very handy with cars as he used to fix them a lot so I doubt I could!

I will get it fixed before the MOT but that's not until March and I'm a bit skint at the mo. Just want to make sure I'm allowed on the road with it!
  • Options
    i cant imagine you'll get in any legal trouble really
  • Options
    It'll be an obscure construction and use regulation but I'm pretty sure that it is a defect that would make your vehicle too unsafe to drive on the road. I could be wrong, but even if I am, would you want a door that an emergency worker couldn't open if they needed to get to you?
  • Options
    id drive it regardless, jus seems like somethin silly

and if an emergency worker really needed to get the door open they could take all of half a second to put the window through.. ?
  • Options
    It's illegal, and the Police could issue you with a rectification notice - whereby you'd have to get it repaired and re-tested within 14 days.

Chances are either something has broken off the external handle, or the mechanism leading from that handle has dislocated itself from the rest of the mechanism. The problem will probably be quite simple to diagnose and repair by just removing the internal door card - likely an hours worth of hot coffee making and a 4-pack of cold beer for your boyfriends father :).

It is something that is worth bothering about sooner rather than later - imagine if the 30 seconds it takes to punch the window and open from the inside by a member of the emergency services results in the vehicle catching fire... you'd hate yourself for putting it off.

Bottom line - it's unsafe, and it is illegal, but the chances of you getting caught are slim.
  • Options
    z- wrote: »

and if an emergency worker really needed to get the door open they could take all of half a second to put the window through.. ?

And in doing so they'd waste valuable seconds trying to get the doors open.

And smashing car windows isn't as easy as they make out on the movies, especially if you're trying not to shower the person inside with broken glass.
  • Options
    Hm good points I should get it fixed
  • Options
    like in the movies lol ..

half a second and you could have a window through, you're hardly gonna stand there punching it with your bare fist

but im not gonna disagree with the fact it adds on time that could be crucial, just meant it wouldnt be a priority for myself.