Home Sex & Relationships
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

Could you move away?

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
I have been watching 'Wanted down under, revisited' and I would love to move to Oz. Me and my partner have a baby and I think her life could be so different over there.

But I know I would never ago..... unless my parents came with us, Im not botherd about friends, just my close family! I keep looking at house prices in Oz, knowing I wont ever go!:confused:

We even thought about moving to Devon, but I said no cos of my family, so moving to Oz is a deffo no no!

I dont know why I keep going on about it, I suppose just seeing the TV show has made me think Ohh yeah, I want to do that! Im just being stupid, cos I know I wont go, but I said to my partner 'shall we look into it' :banghead:

Has anyone moved away? be it other side or UK or other side of the world.

Comments

• Options
    I moved from Denmark to the UK. Its only a 2 hour plane ride, so nothing massive. But the experience it gives you cannot be described in words. I understand your situation is different since you have a baby, but personally if its only the thought of missing your close family which is holding you back - then I would say go for it.
    Don't get me wrong, I miss my family and friends like crazy and talk to my parents practically every day, be that over the phone, Skype, e-mail, etc. But what I have gained definitely outwighs the hardships which follows with moving to a new country - and if you reckon that you would have a better life then why not give it a try?
    As said, I understand our situations are different and its not just a matter of catching any plane or just moving back and forth, but will you regret not going, further down the line?

Its a big decision moving so far away, but if its something you really want to do, then you owe it to yourself and your family to give it a proper think through :)
  • Options
    I'd quite like Oz, till a spider like this popped out in my car :(
    attachment.php?attachmentid=32745&stc=1&d=1223030379
  • Options
    Would I do it myself? Absolutely no way.
    Would I advise anyone who wanted to do it to go ahead? Yes.
  • Options
    Absolutely. I've been trying to move away for about a year now. I'd rather not live in the same country for my entire life. I suppose if I got a proper girlfriend (or got someone pregnant :D) or something, I might change my mind. But since that hasn't happened, I'd rather take advantage of having nothing tying me to Britain.

Current plan is to go to Asia, get enough experience to do a masters degree, and then go wherever I want after that. Better than getting a mortgage and a steady job with a pension imo.
  • Options
    It's something I'd love to do but to be honest, I get more pessimistic about being able to make it happen with every year.

I'm however now doing a job where there's staff shortage all over the world and there's work being done to make it easier to transfer between countries so after I get my next qualifications I might look around and see if I could try living abroad for a while. It's about two years from now though so it's impossible to tell where I'll be at but I like to daydream about it though.

My parents moved to Sweden after having my oldest brother, dad was studying for his PhD. They lived there for 9 years and both me and my 'younger' older brother were born there. They're very fond of their experience there and its influenced them quite a bit.
    I also have a brother who moved to LA to study and it's been tough financially but he's so happy to have found an environment he belongs in. I doubt he'll return home again.

I think it's a great experience even if you're only commiting yourself to a year or something. You could rent out your own home, rent in the new country and see how goes. It is a huge deal of course and requires preparations especially with children involved but I believe it's also very rewarding. In most cases the worst case scenario is that you return back where you came from which isn't too terrible.
  • Options
    I moved from Newcastle to South Wales (via Bristol for a few months). I love living down here and wouldn't want to move back.

However after 4 years I'm really missing not having my family around. I'd love to pop round to my parent's houses for tea, or go shopping with my mam, or even be close enough to go for the weekend. I never appreciated having my parents around when I was younger, and now I've moved out we're a lot closer - I see them as friends and enjoy doing stuff together - but I can't cos we're a few hundred miles away! :banghead:

Me and my boyfriend have thought about moving to Australia too, but I don't think I could be further away from my family. Sitting in our tiny, cold terrace house looking at the rain that never seems to stop, seeing the beautiful beaches and gorgeous houses on the telly you do start to wonder if you're a bit mad for not jumping on the plane there and then!
  • Options
    The thing to keep in mind is - you can always move back!
  • Options
    i would love to move to france, but my young family is what keeps me here, specifically my 7 year old who has special needs, as the french education system makes minimal allowances for this, compared to the UK.

If my children were all under school age or i had no children then i would definitely do it as its much harder later.

Mind you australia is a bit more of a commitment
  • Options
    noog wrote: »

holy shit, fuck oz. I stay right where I am.
  • Options
    I moved to Denmark a month ago, we are not having a CREDIT CRUNCH CRISIS here, we just kinda...carry on.

That is one reason its worth moving! Going home to see friends and things in a month though, gives me something to look forwards to :)

Only problem is feeling like a moron because i cant understand danish very well (i speak it alright but cant respond) :p
  • Options
    noog wrote: »

Decision made. NOT going
  • Options
    I moved to Denmark a month ago, we are not having a CREDIT CRUNCH CRISIS here, we just kinda...carry on.

That is one reason its worth moving! Going home to see friends and things in a month though, gives me something to look forwards to :)

Only problem is feeling like a moron because i cant understand danish very well (i speak it alright but cant respond) :p

Where in Denmark do you live?
  • Options
    A workmate moved to New Zealand about a year ago and it seems to have suited him. I'd consider moving to a different country, though the actual process would be a big bag of stress.
  • Options
    Oh man, I wish. I mean, I love Austria, really, but there are so many beautiful places and as long as space travel is not commercial I want to at least get my planet to know.

Unfortunately a tapeworm has more resolve than I do, so I might just stay where I am till I'm 70 and then regret it. Hopefully not tho. A professor of mine (anorganic chemistry) has been a travel guide even after he finished his study and traveled countless countries, even Iraq, and backpacked from fireland to panama.

Maybe one day.
  • Options
    My boyfriend and I have talked about it quite a lot, particularly since we went travelling at the start of the year - we were both smitten with New Zealand and I reckon we'd do fine living there.
    But there are always things holding us back - he's really into his music and plays in a band and I know he'd be reluctant to give up on them as they seem to be getting somewhere finally. Our families are extremely important to us both too, I would worry about my mum in particular and the thought that I wouldn't be able to just nip back over the bridge and be with them in just over an hour whenever I wanted would be hard to deal with.
    Having said that, my mum's talking about moving to Cape Town herself next year so maybe I shouldn't worry too much about her!! It's definitely something I'd like to do in the future if the opportunity came up. I'm not married and have no kids and no mortgage, so nothing really holding me back...hmm :chin:
  • Options
    Fuck yeah, I'd move in a heartbeat from Glasgow.

Don't get me wrong, I'd miss my friends and family, but there's just so much to see out there that it seems a shame to miss out on it.

I'm just back from a year in Tucson which I loved, and I'm looking at jobs in academia in:

Victoria, British Columbia
    Stanford, California
    Long Beach, California
    Austin, Texas
    Duke University, North Carolina
    Anchorage, Alaska

The GF and I had also talked about moving to Australia, but I reckon that's not so good a move due to the fact that my area of linguistics is mostly in the US and the UK.

I can't wait to finish my PhD and get out of here :(
  • Options
    I think the whole uni experience has helped me with the whole moving away from home business. Its been three years now since i've moved away from home, spent two years in Birmingham and will have spent a year in Reading by July next year.

I'm used to it now, and so are my family i think. Was tough at the start i guess, having never really lived away from home but its just one of those things we all have to do at some stage in our lives.

I don't think i would have a problem moving away outside of the UK.