Home Sex & Relationships
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

Bro

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
Basically, my brother has been taken to hospital twice within the last half a year or so after nights out, being completely plastered and unconscious. Luckily he has had friends who have been really good, taken care of him, and gone with him to the hospital, called my parents up etc.
However, it is very worrying, and I would personally have liked to believe that he would have learnt his limits after that first time - apparently not though.
I am not at home, but I do think that he would be more receptive towards what I have to say than what my parents might tell him (though to be fair, they have been calm and reasonable with him).

Just, I don't know what to say. I mean, from my perspective everything should be obvious enough about the dangers he is putting himself through (apparently he has bruises from someone having a go at him, but no one knows what happened, though at least they know who it was) - and not only that, it is unfair on his friends and my parents who have to stop their partying/ wake up at 3 in the morning to go to the hospital.
I have been bladdered as well, drunk out of my head but never to the point where I had to be taken to hospital. I do understand that this happens, but twice within such a short time? I don't know if he genuinely doesn't know his limits or if he is incapable of dealing with something and lets go that way.

Don't know what my point is with this thread, but any advice, suggestions etc. would be appreciated.

Comments

• Options
    If it happened twice in a short amount of time it might be that something grave happened in his life and he's kinda trying to drown the sorrow, if you understand. I don't know how good of a relationship you have towards your brother, but having a talk with him about the reasons might be a step towards the solution. If he opens up to you, and there is some terrible thing going on you could easier convince/help him to seek professional help.

good luck.
  • Options
    SkiveSkive Posts: 15,286 Skive's The Limit
    How old he is?
    Weekender Offender 
  • Options
    Please dont take this the wrong way but is your brother an idiot?

My brother is an idiot and he would drink until he was hospitalised - its not due to some inner pain its simply because he is a moron.

Eventually they gave the bugger a stomach pump and it trauatised him so he learned some moderation! :D
  • Options
    He is 18.
    Personally I reckon its a matter of him just misjudging his limits and trying to keep up with everyone else - but I wouldn't know.
    Thing is, first time in hospital should have been a scare - but to repeat the incident so soon, makes me not to know what to think.
  • Options
    My brother is an idiot and he would drink until he was hospitalised - its not due to some inner pain its simply because he is a moron.

:lol: POTW
  • Options
    There probably isn't much you can do.
  • Options
    Bro

Hi

Its understandable to be worried about your brother when he's ended up in hospital twice by drinking too much. Its also difficult when you're not sure if he's drinking because theres a problem or drinking because he's finding his limits and will calm down with age.

Theres plenty of people who overdo it for a while and then realise they're not actually having as much fun as they think they are and stop or cut down to a less dangerous level.

The universal truth is that either way the only person who can do anything about his drinking is himself. Whilst its tempting to think you can 'help' or 'make' him cut down or something, its truly a conclusion he'll have to come up with himself.

All you can do is tell him how you feel, how he's made your parent's feel and let him know that you're there for him when he wants to talk.

There could be reasons behind why he's drinking, problems that he's holding in and drinking to cover, but it could equally just be that he's drinking because he enjoys it.

He's young, the chances are he'll figure out whats what and be fine. Its good that he has such supportive friends! Hopefully collectively they'll help him too.

All the best, keep an eye on him and the Site has some advice articles and information about alcohol which might help you if you're still really worried.

Lisa
    :)