Home Health & Wellbeing
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

Tests For Irlens

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
I got advised to have a test for irlens done just after I enrolled at college. I had mine done today.

Apparantely, there's something about tinted lenses - what happens in this, please?

Comments

• Options
    What I could find that talks about Irlen and tinted windows concerns stuff done by the irlen Institute

They are apparently an institute based on something called the 'Irlen Method' - a non-invasive system using coloured overlays and filters to improve the brain's ability to process visual information.

There's loads about it and an online test over here -

http://irlen.com/index.php

Apparently the condition it treats is called Irlen Syndrome, formerly Scotopic Sensitivity Syndrome (SSS)

Here's the wikipedia description, which is comprehensive -
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Scotopic_Sensitivity_Syndrome
  • Options
    Your college or possibly your doctor will probably be able to give you more information as well. From what Jim said it just seems like wearing tinted glasses I mean like you say you find using yellow paper easier (I think?) so its probably tinted glasses so everything has a slightly yellow tint or something like that.

And you get to look like morpheus. ;)

pic_morpheus.jpg
  • Options
    ShyBoy wrote: »
    I mean like you say you find using yellow paper easier (I think?)

Yes. I had a test done today and found grey slightly easier than yellow. I now have to (somehow) find grey lined paper.
  • Options
    its easy to find grey paper, there are places that do lined but i think they are all online. i need to go to an optometrist soon and get my colour re assessed. are you not getting tinted glasses or acetate? i found acetates very helpful, but the glasses have worked ten fold.
  • Options
    its easy to find grey paper, there are places that do lined but i think they are all online. i need to go to an optometrist soon and get my colour re assessed. are you not getting tinted glasses or acetate? i found acetates very helpful, but the glasses have worked ten fold.

Where? I've only found one place. (tintavision) that does it. Ive been given some plain grey, but I can't write on plain paper.

I've been given acetate. Not too sure if I'm getting tinted glasses yet.
  • Options
    you normally get the glasses if you have done well with the acetates but need a little more.

emptech are the place to get coloured lined paper from. about 2 quid a shot