Home Home, Law & Money
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

Who has shares?

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
Just curious really, wondering who dabbles in the FTSE?

In my new job (well been there a year now) i have a fantastic opportunity to put aside an amount of my pretax wages each month towards by shares shares at an annually set reduced rate.

Then at the end of a 3 or 5 year period get to see the performance of the shares and decide weather to use the money set aside to purchase the shares at that reduced rate and sell them on the market, or take back my cash with interest.

Pretty much can't lose.

Like this year, the value of the shares were 310p per share, i got the offer set at 255p a share.

Put aside £100 a month, at the end of the 3 years, if shares have gone down below that 255, i just take back the £3600 + interest (which is around 3% i believe - not great with inflation atm, but better considering this is the worst scenario, its good)

If shares have gone up then obviously cash them in for whatever value they are now at.

The company also do a different deal where for every 2 shares you by (up to £100 worth) they will give you a free one.

Anybody else have similiar share options at their place of employment?
Or anybody just generally play the markets?

Comments

• Options
    I don't do shares myself, but I know someone who has lost several thousand pounds in just today alone. He is with BT wholesale, Astrazeneca and Barclays.
  • Options
    Monserrat wrote: »
    I don't do shares myself, but I know someone who has lost several thousand pounds in just today alone. He is with BT wholesale, Astrazeneca and Barclays.

Ouch! Gutted!

Never heard of Astrazeneca, but i guess with BT and Barclays, the general belief is if he keeps hold of them long enough they'll weather the storm and the value will in time get back up there.

You'd hope so for his sake anyway!
  • Options
    Astrazeneca is one of the big pharma companies operating in the UK alongside GSK.

I've not done shares as I've got no money (lol) but I was hoping to build up a 'portfolio' not of shares to trade like that but for the dividends so if I put away a bit each month when I have a good job rather than buying new cars or whatever then over the years it should add up to a nice pension.

Of course they all go up as well as down though but soudns like your deal isn't a bad one for the simplicity, I haven't the first clue how to trade so if you can get your workplace to do it for you where it seems like you are making money off it then why not?

My dad traded in shares / futures (or something like that) and lost several thousand when a bomb went off somewhere. They freeze the markets, when they unfreeze prices have already hit rock bottom so it prevents (in theory) panic selling. Of course, everyone is still broke by this point. That's why it helps according to some unofficial advice I read (there is a lot of legalese going about about people saying 'I am not authorised to give you investment advice') to spread your investments and invest in different companies in different sectors, then although the big gains are less the big losses are less as well.

I think on average people roughly look for an average return of 10% a year... but this is not every year it might go up or down or whatever but over 10 years thats what *they* worked out you'd get back when you 'play it safe' with dividends. This is because you get maybe 5% back in your annual dividend and also because shares tend to appreciate.