Home Home, Law & Money
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

Next of Kin

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
ok, complicated situation.

I need to put down a next of kin on my enrolement forms for uni. Usually you'd put a parent or such, but theres no point putting my mother as she is often out of the country. I don't want to put my social worker, because she wouldn't have a clue about what i wanted to happen to me if she had to make a choice on my behalf. So, i thought, i have 2 choices, either i ask a friend, (i have two in mind just incase one says no) or ask a family friend, but she has two kids of her own and wouldn't be able to drop things at short notice if i ended up in hospital as she is in suffolk.

from a legal point of view, what obligations does someone that is someones next of kin have? and do i have to put my social worker or my mother?

Comments

• Options
    If parents are viable and you don't have step-parents either, then you could try for a sibling?
  • Options
    i'm an only child....

this is where i come a bit unstuck...
  • Options
    JsTJsT Posts: 18,268 Skive's The Limit
    You might have to put your mum and hope for the best I think?
  • Options
    i can't really, because it could take her 72 hours to get to me, and tbh, my mum is not someone i really want around me in an emergency....I'll ask them tomorrow and see how it goes...
  • Options
    I'd say ask beofre you make a desicion, but you ideally want someone whos around and will repect your wishes in an emergency.

When I've asked for next of kin in previous jobs, most people did put a parent, but some put their partners/siblings etc. Once you hit 18 it should be your choice who you choose.
  • Options
    do you think its taking the piss a bit asking someone to take on such a big responsiblity, if they aren't your partner or a blood relative?
  • Options
    Next of kin, the important word is the "Kin"

Related in some way or partner.
  • Options
    ok lets look at it this way. my mother isn't around, plus she doesn't want to be my next of kin....i have no aunts or uncles, no brothers or sisters. So, what do i do?
  • Options
    It's the person who would need to be informed in an emergency.

If your mum is contactable then probably her, even if she can't get to you easily. Would she have the sense to contact your social worker for practical things?

The international students I know tend to have their parents down as next of kin, however far flung they are (and when required by the system an alternative UK based contact of uncle/aunt/grandparent or family friend). I realise you aren't an international student but in a way it's sort of similar.

If you'd put your mum down if she were in the country and they'll accept an international contact then do that (assume they will unless stated otherwise). If you wouldn't put your mum down even if she were in the country then it's probably your social worker.

It's not a massive deal, becuase if you end up in hospital on life support or something like that then the doctors won't use what the uni records state as next of kin unless they are actually a 'proper' next of kin.
  • Options
    ok lets look at it this way. my mother isn't around, plus she doesn't want to be my next of kin....i have no aunts or uncles, no brothers or sisters. So, what do i do?

Go for the closest thing you have to a grown up/responsible adult in your life. Probably your social worker.
  • Options
    Go for the closest thing you have to a grown up/responsible adult in your life. Probably your social worker.

I agree. Just someone reliable who could be contacted in the first instance.
  • Options
    Hi TT,

Interestingly we just had a similar question asked through askTheSite and I thought you might find some of the answer interesting (don't worry everything has been removed from this that could identify the person who asked the question). The bulk of the answer is from the CAB Advice Guide.

Before you wade through the legal stuff though, the main point is that next of kin isn't defined by law so you should explain the situation to your uni who will hopefully be happy for you to nominate anyone you are comfortable with.

Of course the bigger issue is then finding the right person to be your next of kin, but your clearly working on that already.

As you can see from the paragraphs below there is no definition as to who is or is not next of kin:-

"In certain situations, for example, entering hospital or completing a life insurance form, a client may be asked to give the name of her/his next of kin. Next of kin is not defined by the law. However, in practice hospitals and other organisations have generally recognised spouses and close blood relatives as next of kin but sometimes excluded cohabiting partners.

Organisations tend to be more flexible than they used to be. For example, prisons will usually accept the name of a cohabiting partner as the most appropriate person to contact if something happens to the prisoner.

Hospitals will usually ask a client to nominate a next of kin formally on admission to hospital. A hospital will usually accept the person a client names as next of kin. Most hospitals recognise that a client's partner is probably the closest person, whatever the gender.

Nobody is entitled to give consent to medical treatment for another adult. However, in practice, doctors do usually discuss decisions with the patient's family and this should not usually exclude an unmarried partner.

If an organisation refuses to accept the name of a cohabiting partner, there is little the client can do except by pressing for a change of policy."

• Options
    the next of kin is just whoever needs to know if anything bad happens to you. It tends to be your parent or your partner. It doesnt matter if theyre in the country or not, or whether theyd be able to get there. Its just who theyd inform if you die or are in an accident.

why doesnt your mum want to do it?