Home Politics & Debate
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

Do they really think the earth is flat?

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/magazine/7540427.stm

Discuss - Please stay on topic and no jibber jabber.

Comments

• Options
    Do you have an opinion yourself? It's good netiquette to express yours first...

Some of them do believe it, yes. Just as some people believe the Earth is 6,000 years old.

As I understand it however a number of members of the Flat Earth Society see it all as a bit of tongue in cheek protest against conformism, and the wider idea is to constantly challenge ideas.

Anyone who seriously believe it is a fruitcake anyway.
  • Options
    People can believe whatever they want, no matter how delusional.
  • Options
    neeoe wrote: »

Do these people REALLY believe the earth is flat? I think they just say they do, to give the impression of eccentricity.
  • Options
    Would be good for cyclists if it were
  • Options
    Would be good for cyclists if it were

There would still be mountains to climb, just you would be able to fall off the edge!
  • Options
    To those people who honestly believe the earth is flat, is there a single documented case of someone actually falling off the end of the planet?

I notice you've all gone silent now... Wait a minute, there's an awful smell in the room all of a sudden... *sniff sniff* ...oh, I know what that is, it's bullshit. :rolleyes:
  • Options
    Erm, there is actually. Some time in the early 1700's the crew of the Black Pearl, whilst sailing in a Chinese Junk in search of Captain Jack Sparrow fell of the end of the world.
  • Options
    neeoe wrote: »

Yeah, a lot of them'll believe in talking snakes and original sin as well. You can get people to believe pretty much anything.
  • Options
    Ok, I have had enough now ...

I still say that they don't actually BELIEVE it. It is a retarded and unsupported belief. It might seem absurd to you that anyone can think that the earth is flat, when there is so much evidence that it is BANANA shaped. Many of them seem to live in Norfolk and are really stupid. Basically, the flat earth exponents say that God has the whole world in his hand. If the world were round, it would roll out of God's hand and into damnation. D'uh? :rolleyes:

Unfortunately, one consequence of the Flat Earth theory is a indisputable disproof of the theory of Global Warming. The argument goes along the lines of "if you ain't got no globe, you ain't got no global warming!". :banghead:
  • Options
    If the earth was flat wouldn't all the water roll off?
  • Options
    kangoo wrote: »
    If the earth was flat wouldn't all the water roll off?

It does, haven't you seen Pirates of the Caribbean?