Home Health & Wellbeing
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

getting rid of my implant

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
I'm still going through the process of trying to pin down what is causing my fits, and i'm getting a bit weird about having a foriegn object in my body. I've had it in my arm for a year and a half, and it seems to occationaly be itchy and i have had problems with it (i got pregnant about 2/3 months after i had it put in my arm, and then miscarried). I've got quite high levels of copper in my blood and i'm taking zinc to lower them, but i have been told that non barrier methods can increase levels of copper in the body.

I'm not in a relationship, and haven't got close to anyone for 5 months or so, and right now, i'm not really looking at being in a relationship, and i haven't got any qualms about using condoms, and if i got into a relationship at any point soon i would think about it again...

i'm just trying to way up some pros and cons and could do with some opinons and ideas.

thanks

Comments

• Options
    if youre not in a long term relationship, then i dont see the point of having the extra hormones going round your body.
  • Options
    Its your body anf your choice, if your using it just for contraception and you'd prefer not to have it then seriously consider having it taken out.
  • Options
    well, i had incredbily bad periods before, and thats one thing i'm a bit worried about. but there seem to be other ways around that one...
  • Options
    There are always ways to help your periods. Mine where pretty bad becasue I have POCS and even though I dont have sex very often, I keep it because the alterative (the coil or nothing) is far worse. I have a few side effects but nothing I cant cope with.
  • Options
    mine were really bad before i went on the pill and then the implant...
    i'm not sure i can remember what they were like before that.

but i know they were really irregular, and painful (but not horrendously so)
  • Options
    i think its probably better for your body to have a few paracetamol here and there for period pains than have constant streaming of extra hormones in your bloodstream when you dont even need it
  • Options
    I agree with SCC, and i always find brufen kills the pain better than anything else. Also if you and your drs think the implant could be contributing to the fits, id say get rid...it wont do you any harm.
  • Options
    I came off the pill as soon as I came out of my relationship - it wasn't intentional, i just forgot to take it for about a week but i would have come off it anyway. I hated being on it and my body never agreed with it completely. I feel so much better now I'm off it, it's nice to give your body a break from the hormones - especially if you don't really need it. My periods were also really bad before I went on the pill but they've been alright so far. Although I am late atm.
  • Options
    Sounds to me like the only thing worrying you about having the implant taken out is if you can cope with your periods or not... Have you talked to your doctor about that? Possibly there'd be something else you could do to help the period pain.

I don't know if you've been diagnosed with a gynae problem or not, but I'd suggest looking into getting investigated if you haven't.

Personally I'd have the implant taken out despite the problems it might give you with your periods - horrible as that may be. And I do sympathise, I've had periods which have ended me up in hospital before. :(
  • Options
    i haven't got PCOS, i was checked for that when i was younger, and a whole lot of other things, plus i've just had full STI tests which all came back clear. my mum had the same kind of thing when she was my age.

i have been told to go and talk it over with the family planning nurse, which i shall try to do next week.
  • Options
    Have they ever ruled out endometriosis?

I hope everything goes OK. :)
  • Options
    they would do that with an ultrascan would they not? if so then yes, as i've had loads.
  • Options
    No, it doesn't show up on scans, you'd have to have a minor op where they put a camera into your belly. Hopefully they'll find a less evasive way of diagnosing it soon.
  • Options
    well, i have had an endoscopy and colonoscopy so is that similar/same thing?
  • Options
    That would have shown up if you had any endometriosis deposits in your colon or windpipe (if I'm getting what an endoscopy is correct). The abdomen is the most common place to get endo, although it can get anywhere in your body; and the laparoscopy is where they make a tiny incision underneath your belly button so they can have a look around to see if there's anything on your ovaries, womb, intestine and other organs in the abdomen.

Might be worth checking if you have any other symptoms of endo, aside from the period pain and then discussing it with your doctor if you do.
  • Options
    could you send me a quick link to a website then?

can you actually get pregnant if you have endometriosis?
  • Options
    yes, sometimes, although it can cause infertility
  • Options
    Sorry haven't been on the computer for a while and didn't see your last message TT... Incase you haven't already looked it up: http://www.endometriosis-uk.org/

Endometriosis does sometimes cause infertility - but not always. It's a very varied illness... You can have really bad endometriosis with no symptoms or very little of it with lots of symptoms and symptoms vary woman to woman.

I hope the link helps.
    Take care.
  • Options
    hmmm, i might have myself checked out.... i do have a good few of the symptoms, but then again i seem to have everything!

thanks for that