Home General Chat
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

Western Digital - My Book's

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
Does anyone own any of the My Book Studio editions?

Or any of the My book range? I'm thinking about buying one to replace my little Western Digital passport because it's not the fastest thing - I'm thinking about going for the firewire route?

Opinions as normal :)

Comments

• Options
    the one my father has, mybook 1tb as far as i know is usb only and not firewire, cost him bout £99, however good speeds and very good hdd
  • Options
    I'm stuck between getting a Mac time capsule or a Macbook Studio because the studio is mac compatible and has firewire :)
  • Options
    i have the 1TB My Book 2 Home Edition which i have pluged in with eSata on my desktop and it is very very fast, very Quiet , i have pluged it into my laptop using Firewire which isnt as fast but still, compaired to my old 320gb USB2 its very fast,
  • Options
    I like the time capsule, but does it support firewire? I suppose u could connect it using cat5 and gig-e might be fast enough? It also has the benefit of being able to share your printer :)

I'd probs go with the Mybook tho, cheaper!
  • Options
    is the WD silent - as I have one ... not the book thing but it makes a very annoying noise when spinning

where as my seagate external HD is pretty much silent
  • Options
    Nooq - How does the time capsule work? Plug's into a router, or does it have to be an airport one?

I'm just thinking because I ran a backup last night using time machine and the size was about 48GB! I've Dedicated a 80GB Hard drive for it, because you can't backup to a NAS :(

I could always go with one of the tiny passport studios, but they cost a bit too!
  • Options
    If I had to come up with one word for My Books, that would be utter-useless-piece-of-wanking-shit. They are well known for being unreliable and so many people have the same problems with devices not being found or it vanishing my from My Computer with data loss. Avoid like the plague. I would never buy one again.

http://www.tomrafteryit.net/western-digital-my-book-pro-edition-ii-sucks/
  • Options
    Oh dear =/

Well I'm still thinking about getting a Studio passport because of the firewire :)

EDIT

Just thought I'd let you know I've orderd the MyBook Home Edition 500GB :)

I looked at wdc again, and I saw that the home edition had firewire - So I was like o_O