Home Politics & Debate
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

Graffiti as seen by the public

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
Urban dwellers are familiar with street graffiti, paintings by youngsters with free time. Then there's the professional graffiti artists, like Banksy, who do it for aesthetic appeal to the public.

Is the graffiti splashed around urban areas always a nuisance and how do we rate professional work, done with patience and detail, meant for public appeal.

Comments

• Options
    Here's a video clip of graffiti at it's best- very much alive

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uuGaqLT-gO4
  • Options
    No idea at the real reason for this thread but when I see really good graffiti, like bright walls filled with the stuff I think it looks ace!
  • Options
    I saw a hillarious piece of grafitti whcih said "banksy ate my dog" - it made me laugh so much....
  • Options
    best graffiti i ever saw was on the way to liverpool airport.

there was a notice on the side of a building that said "bill posters will be prosecuted"

and underneath, someone had written "bill posters is innocent!!"
  • Options
    O_o wrote: »

there was a notice on the side of a building that said "bill posters will be prosecuted"

:lol::lol::lol:
  • Options
    Indrid ColdIndrid Cold Posts: 16,688 Skive's The Limit
    kangoo wrote: »
    :lol::lol::lol:
    Indeed! :D
  • Options
    O_o wrote: »

oldie but goodie
  • Options
    Best graffiti I saw so far on arrival to England about a fortnight ago was similar to Banksy on an overhead bridge leading down to the dartford Tunnel. The worst graffiti I've seen though is damage to a lovely old wall on which clematis grows and the spray paint is all over the flowers.

:(
  • Options
    There's some amazing artists around these parts, incredible talents...just a pity some of the local yobbos ruin it for everyone by creating such pathetic tags in nonsensicle places
  • Options
    Broadly speaking, I despise graffiti. I've only seen around two or three in my lifetime that I did not hate. When I visited Bristol a few years back now, I remember seeing one of Banksy's works, and that was quite appealing. Just a shame that the area in the immediate vicinity of this smelt of alcohol and piss.
  • Options
    All grafitti is criminal damage, plain and simple. If anyone came and spray painted some pithy slogan or a picture of an elephant in makeup on the side of my house, no matter how famous they were I'd be pissed off.

Saying that, I can see the artistic merit in some work, Banksy is a talented fellow. But he's 1 man in a sea of mindless taggers who daub their signatures on anything that stands still for longer than 8 minutes.
  • Options
    Whowhere wrote: »
    All grafitti is criminal damage, plain and simple. If anyone came and spray painted some pithy slogan or a picture of an elephant in makeup on the side of my house, no matter how famous they were I'd be pissed off.

Proper graffiti artists dont paint on peoples houses/property.
  • Options
    To be honest, illegal or not, I like looking at a grafittied wall much better than at a plain one. It's much less boring.
  • Options
    bossa wrote: »
    Proper graffiti artists dont paint on peoples houses/property.

In Northern Ireland, paramilitary graffiti murals are common on the side of houses. And one of the London parks I visited has a house, over the fence, which has a giant butterfly painting on the side, visible to park goers
  • Options
    i think graffitti is a healthy sign for a city. it shows that theres a vibrant counter culture. as for teh question of good graffitti, it is a matter of aesthetics. i like good taggers. threre are two prominent taggers i particularly liked in liverpool. the guy that does the winking alien and lina (i have been told they knew each other). havent seen any new ones for a long time though. how unfortunate.
  • Options
    To be honest, illegal or not, I like looking at a grafittied wall much better than at a plain one. It's much less boring.

If someone came and tagged the side/front of your house then you probably wouldn't be happy.

Likewise if someone came and painted a load of yellow smiley faces on the side of mine I'd be quite pissed off.

And it's irrelevant what people paint on, just because the wall belongs to a shop and not a house doesn't make it less of a criminal damage. "Arty" grafitti attracts the worse kind.
  • Options
    KiwiFruit wrote: »
    In Northern Ireland, paramilitary graffiti murals are common on the side of houses. And one of the London parks I visited has a house, over the fence, which has a giant butterfly painting on the side, visible to park goers

Yeah, you see quite a lot of houses with murals around north london - does make the city seem a lot less miserable.

Like the way Liverpool has covered the Salford Shutters on the borded up streets with murals during the year they are the city of culture :)
  • Options
    If someone came and tagged the side/front of your house then you probably wouldn't be happy.
    How do you know that? :p
    I'd probably like it, but with a store in the front and the other walls not being flat, it would be difficult.
  • Options
    Jim V wrote: »
    Like the way Liverpool has covered the Salford Shutters on the borded up streets with murals during the year they are the city of culture :)
    Liverpool, the city of culture - you'd have to have a heart of stone not to laugh at the idea, wouldn't you?
  • Options
    stargalaxy wrote: »
    Liverpool, the city of culture - you'd have to have a heart of stone not to laugh at the idea, wouldn't you?

Actually I expected the worse, but Liverpool city centre was so charming and people so friendly. At first sight way more appealing there than coming out of a random London tube station.
  • Options

Likewise if someone came and painted a load of yellow smiley faces on the side of mine I'd be quite pissed off.

i would love to have some good graffiti on the side of my house.:hyper:
    it would be sweet it amkes places look so much more alive and vibrant. it shows the town has talent. why should art be kept inside in galleries where next to no one sees it. paint the town!!! good graffiti cheers everyone up. there is a huge difference between vandalism and graffiti. pointless names or four letter words written on bus shelters isnt graffiti its vandalism. graffiti is an art and imo is one op the best things that can happen to a town.

sorry on another note did anyone hear about that banksy painting that was on thje side of someones house. and they got it scrubbed off only to fnd out that it almost DOUBLED the value of there house. dumb fucks lmao.
  • Options
    Arty" grafitti attracts the worse kind.

People who like art?

Mostly I like graffiti but it depends what it is.
  • Options
    What I meant was, once people see one sort of grafitti, the tags soon start appearing afterwards.
  • Options
    I dunno. Maybe I'm ignorent but I think there are worse things to worry about than graffiti. I can understand home owners being enraged if it is on the side of their home but then I wouldn't want to outlaw it completely because I think it's a creative act. Not sure of the laws to do with it but maybe bringing it out into the open rather than making it a thing that only 'hoodlums' do and to see it more as a recognised art form. It can even turn into a career where they get commissioned for it. If someone has a talent then the community should nurture it.
  • Options
    You'd be surprised about what people on a local level see as priorities in their own neighbourhood. Despite the media, worries about knives and guns have never made it onto the priority lists.
    When surveyed our local residents' top 3 concerns are;
    1.Gangs of youths drinking in the street
    2.Dog fouling
    3.Grafitti/criminal damage.

This is despite the fact that those 3 are extremely minor, because they affect the quality of life of our residents, they are the things we have to tackle.
  • Options
    1.Gangs of youths drinking in the street.

this pisses me off. the words youth and gangs. what about drunks who role out of the pub at midnight i have never had trouble from other kids causing noise or disturbances but coutless times i have had drunks shouting and fighting out side my house in early hours of the morning. people see a few kids standing on the street and imediatly want them banged up. how many times have you seen a couple of pensioners talking on a street corner on there way to get the paper or something. they are harmless completely and so are most kids on the street. because im a certain age people think im a thug and im fucking sick of it. i have had the police called on me for walkind down a pavement. seriously i was just walking down the road with one other person talking quietly at only about 8 and this guy calls the police. when are the police going to tackle actual issues like domestic violence or pedophilia.

sorry going off topic
  • Options
    this pisses me off. the words youth and gangs. what about drunks who role out of the pub at midnight i have never had trouble from other kids causing noise or disturbances but coutless times i have had drunks shouting and fighting out side my house in early hours of the morning. people see a few kids standing on the street and imediatly want them banged up. how many times have you seen a couple of pensioners talking on a street corner on there way to get the paper or something. they are harmless completely and so are most kids on the street. because im a certain age people think im a thug and im fucking sick of it. i have had the police called on me for walkind down a pavement. seriously i was just walking down the road with one other person talking quietly at only about 8 and this guy calls the police. when are the police going to tackle actual issues like domestic violence or pedophilia.

sorry going off topic

Where to begin.....
    Firstly, we do deal with drunks who crawl out of the pub and cause problems, but on my patch it happens on far fewer occasions than we find groups of kids who are hanging around, drinking and causing problems. I'm not saying all groups of kids cause problems, and on my patch I'm often informing members of public that the group of lads sat on the bench really aren't as menacing as they look. I don't go around moving youths on because I feel like it.

Secondly, deal with domestic violence and paedophilia? They're not exactly top of anyone's list when you ask them what problems they're having in their area. How many times have you seen a paedophile following kids down the street? How many complaints do you think we get, on average per year about women being beaten up on the street by their husbands? I'll give you a clue, it begins with Z.

We deal with the latter, but the fact that they happen behind closed doors, makes it a lot harder to deal with it than you think.