Home Health & Wellbeing
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

Accuracy of blood tests for EBV mono.

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
I've been feeling pretty sick for the last couple of days with a fever and swollen lymph nodes, among other symptoms indicative of an infection.

I went in and had some blood-work done in case I have mono. The preliminary test came back negative but I have heard that often times mono takes time to detect.

I was wondering if anyone had any experience with the accuracy of blood tests for EBV mono. The rugby season starts soon and I'd hate to have spent a whole summers worth of training for nothing.

thanks.

Comments

• Options
    I think mono is a disease which only exists in the us a bit like hives and strep throat!
  • Options
    Glandular fever (infectious mononucleosis)

;)
  • Options
    Wyetry wrote: »
    I think mono is a disease which only exists in the us a bit like hives and strep throat!

I find that hard to believe
  • Options
    I'm sure that they don't ONLY exist in the states just that they aren't called that anywhere else - in fact i know they don't as i got strep throat when i was in LA but i had flown in from New Zealand the day before so i must have got it there - but I still have no idea what it really is (i suspect laringitus) - but then i've not really bothered to google it to find out