Home Health & Wellbeing
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

Stress

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
I've been having a problem at work for a while now, where there isn't enough work to keep busy, and yet I'm not allowed to entertain myself in other ways. This was just bordering on the annoying to begin with, but now I'm in the situation where for the last year I have been doing nowt but staring at my monitor from anywhere from 3 to 7 hours a day, and I'm seriously losing the plot. I've told my manager over and over and over, and while he seems sympathetic and says he'll do something about it, nothing ever changes. I've been looking for another job, but it's been rejection city so far (obv this is also doing wonders for my state of mind) and I'm not doing reet well at all.

I've got a history of mental health problems, and although I'd been doing really well with them for the last few years, they are starting to rear their ugly heads one by one, as well as me feeling physically shitey, and I think this has got to the point where if it carries on I'm going to get seriously ill.

I'm going to the doctor tomorrow on my other half's insistence, and am going to see what he says, but does anyone know what kind of things he might be able to suggest. I don't want to go on medication, especially not ADs, and I'm not the best patient when it comes to counselling or psychotherapy. I kind of feel like I should go, cause I feel so bad, but on the other hand, I'm not sure if there's any point, as I guess pills and talking therapies are the first step and I've never done well with either.

Gah. I'm feeling fruit-loopy. Help :crying:

Comments

• Options
    That's a pretty shitty situation you're in!

For information, what sort of job is it and why aren't you allowed to entertain yourself in any other way?

Also, do you keep active outside work? For me it helps me to keep going during slow days if I am doing something before or after work. Naturally it doesn't eliminate the dead hours during the day but it does help a little.

The monitor you're staring at, can you use it for something not-work related while working?
  • Options
    It's an editorial job, and the official excuse is that we have to be seen to be working at all times (even though we have already finished all our work) in case someone from another department and/or the big boss comes in and we look like slackers. Tried to argue that reading books etc is actually helpful and work-related, but they were having none of it.

Can't do anything else on the monitor cause the managers have a remote desktop type thing installed and watch what you do all day. I went through a stage a while ago of trying to get away with doing things that looked like work but weren't, but I'd just get a bollocking every time, so I gave up.

Activity is a problem cause I'm so generally fed up that I can barely motivate myself to eat and wash. I know I should, but I struggle.
  • Options
    hugest hugs for you kaff.

i know that's not helpful at all... but i think you're ace.

xx
  • Options
    To some extent I know how you feel - I've been in my job since November last year and still haven't been trained properly (training has finally been arranged to start next month :rolleyes:) So for a large proportion of the last almost-year I've been sitting at my desk twiddling my thumbs because I'm not allowed to do most parts of my job. It does become soul-destroying when you're seeing hours of your life slide by - I completely understand how it's stressing you out. My only advice (apart from seeing the doc which I do think is worth another try) is to keep trying with the jobhunting. I know it can be miserable when you're getting rejections but just keep thinking that every rejection is bring you one step closer to getting the perfect job for you. Do one thing every day towards finding a new job - I read that somewhere recently and try to do it myself, it really helps you feel you've done something constructive with your day. Revamp your CV, register with jobs websites (try the Guardian's, I can't advocate it enough - really helpful), go and see an advisor if you can, anything. It's a pain that you can't do much in work time (I'm quite lucky in this sense as no-one really keeps tabs on me in the day, hence being on here so bloody much!) but are there any training materials you could work through or teach-yourself courses you could do? Perhaps if you suggest that to your boss he might be OK with you doing something like that in your work time? Plus that'll help beef up your new-and-improved CV...

Sorry I don't have much advice for you, but just wanted to let you know you're not a fruit-loop for feeling the way you do...or, if you are, then I am too :razz: Keep believing in yourself and striving to get out and move on. You can do it :)
  • Options

The doctor this morning was about as helpful as a chocolate fireguard. My normal one's off til September, so I saw another one in the practice and he was awful. Made me feel like a naughty little girl whinging about my terrible life and suggested that I read books and exercise. When I tried to tell him about the stuff in the past he laughed at my notes (!) and then said that there was no point referring me anywhere cause I said I didn't want drugs, and I could go down to Mind for counselling if I wanted, but that was really for 'people with real problems'. Then he told me to run along because he had other patients to treat :thumb:
  • Options
    Olive wrote: »

The doctor this morning was about as helpful as a chocolate fireguard. My normal one's off til September, so I saw another one in the practice and he was awful. Made me feel like a naughty little girl whinging about my terrible life and suggested that I read books and exercise. When I tried to tell him about the stuff in the past he laughed at my notes (!) and then said that there was no point referring me anywhere cause I said I didn't want drugs, and I could go down to Mind for counselling if I wanted, but that was really for 'people with real problems'. Then he told me to run along because he had other patients to treat :thumb:

That's just great. Doctors can be such bastards.
    I'll never forget when a doctor said "well, I am sorry to say, but that's not my problem. I didn't put you in that situation". I literally left there crying.
    But yeah, I don't know how advisable it is, but maybe to threaten with resignation would make them give you work? Or just hint that you're looking for something new? Or would that just make everything worse?
  • Options
    What an arse! God some doctors are annoying...how the hell they can be able to speak to people like that is beyond me! Some completely lack communication skills :banghead:

Is there not another GP that you could go and see one that you know is a bit more resonalble?
  • Options
    I completely sympathise, I've been in a very similar situation, it is soul destroying to sit and do nothing all day.

My only advice is to push yourself into a new job, I know its hard especially if the current position is having a nasty effect.

Is it possible for you to sign up with agencies, I've found that's a good way to get work if you hate filling in forms, they do the work for you.
  • Options
    Dear Wendy wrote: »
    But yeah, I don't know how advisable it is, but maybe to threaten with resignation would make them give you work? Or just hint that you're looking for something new? Or would that just make everything worse?

They pretty much know that I've been looking to leave the whole time I've been there, they just don't really care. It's just not really a good company to work for at all, and I'd been better off out, but that appears to be easier said than done!
    budda wrote:
    My only advice is to push yourself into a new job, I know its hard especially if the current position is having a nasty effect.

Is it possible for you to sign up with agencies, I've found that's a good way to get work if you hate filling in forms, they do the work for you.

That's definitely the way forward, but I've been trying desperately for a year, and still no joy. I'm signed up with every relevant agency in the area and they come up with nowt. My other half thinks I should just take any job to get out of there, and I guess I could fairly easily get a job in a shop or a call centre with the experience I've got, but I can't help thinking that would be essentially just throwing any hopes of a career (or half decent job even) down the toilet.