Home Health & Wellbeing
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

Sport / Outdoor Activities & Glasses

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
I got a letter this morning about some sort of activities week just before the start of the college year. I'm slightly worried though - I wear glasses and can't see much without them, (I can only read if something is very close to my face) but won't be able to wear my glasses for many of the activities. Has anyone had this problem? What id you do? I don't wear contact lenses or have any.

Comments

• Options
    what sort of activities would you not be able to wear your glasses for? loads of people wear glasses every day, im sure they wouldnt have designed that many activities that they wouldnt be able to participate in.
  • Options
    Swimming. There are meant to be other out door activities, but doesn't explain what.
  • Options
    You can get swimming goggles made to your prescription if you swim a lot, but plenty of people just wear their glasses in the pool. There may be a slight steamy up issue, but nowt too bad.
  • Options
    I wear my contacts if I go swimming I just don't put my head under! I sometimes wear my glasses and thats no problem either. But generally it's my contacts as that what I wear the most.
  • Options
    I wear glasses or well i used to - and the only time i've had any problems has been once when i was dinghy sailing and my boat capsised and i lost my glasses (they were eventually found again though) - which was my own fault as i wasn't wearing one of those keep your glasses afloat bands and once when someone threw a volley ball at me (not on purpose) which broke my glasses.

I have to say that you definatly can't let wearing glasses stop you from doing anything - even swimming - i once went swimming with a group of people who were deafblind and it didnt' stop them from having fun!
  • Options
    You can get bands which you attach to either end of your galsses and they hold them in place when you do sports, if you can find one might be worth trying. I have to wear glasses and can go swimming without them (I hate contacts)
  • Options
    You can get bands which you attach to either end of your galsses and they hold them in place when you do sports, if you can find one might be worth trying. I have to wear glasses and can go swimming without them (I hate contacts)

Where do I get these from, please?
  • Options
    as has been said...wear you're glasses/contacts. You can even wear goggles with contacts :eek: But tbh you don't need to, i used to go windsurfing (and fall in lots) and swimming in them...at worst they just move around a bit. Moving your eye solves that problem most of the time
  • Options
    Melian wrote: »
    Where do I get these from, please?

From ebay, there are quite a few in the catorgey of that item. Most are a fairly reasonable price as well.