Home Health & Wellbeing
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

Do you throw a lot of food out?

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
Gordon Brown says people do (so it must be true :D )

When I was single and buying food for myself I used to throw about 1/4 of food out. Partly because I'd usually shop on an empty stomach and eat with my eyes. Now that I live with my boyfriend I don't throw much out, partly because I enjoy using leftovers, partly because he hates seeing food going to waste and partly because he eats it all :D (I mean, :grump: )

Might be a good time to turn this into a thifty food thread?

If I have leftover sauces, like tomato sauce or pesto, I'll put them into ice cube trays and freeze them so I can add them to dishes later on.

I freeze chicken bones from roasts, stick them into freezer bags and freeze them so I can accumulate them and use them to make stock at a later date.

Vegetables at the bottom of the fridge make a very nice frittata.

Comments

• Options
    When I first moved into my own place, I ended up throwing a lot of food away because I would buy food for the week and then not have a chance to eat it, or end up eating out. Now I'm more careful and buy food every few days, and have a lot of cupboard stuff rather than fresh things all the time.

I always save food when I cook a lot though and eat it the following day.

The things I tend to throw away mostly are yoghurts and bioactive drinks...which I buy when I feel healthy but never end up drinking. They tend to have quite short shelf lives.
  • Options
    Today I threw away:
    - Half a tub of mouldy philadelphia. Ate the first half and then ran out of stuff to put it on, and then forgot about it.
    - 1/4 tin of pineapple chunks that I didn't eat in time.
    - End of a carton of orange juice that I bought and it was very sour so I didn't drink it all.

I try to freeze as much stuff as I can, which is tricky sometimes because we have a small freezer. I don't throw away leftovers, instead I put them in the fridge and incorporate it into next day's lunch or dinner.

Go_away, I have a question: when you say you freeze tomato sauces, do you mean ones that you've made yourself or ones from a jar, eg Ragu? (Before anyone shouts at me for using sauce from a jar, shush it's not a crime and I do know how to make my own sauces but this works better for homemade pizza than a homemade sauce does) I've wondered about freezing Ragu but it doesn't say whether you should or shouldn't on the jar.

Oh I also threw away half a tub of Stork because I went to make some cakes just now and realised that it said November 07 on it and I hadn't realised :o
  • Options
    I think it depends what you mean by a lot really. I throw away more food than I would like but I throw away less food than I used to. We're getting better because we don't shop at supermarkets so much, we tend to buy smaller amounmts more regularly. That said, I did have to throw away half a pound of carrots and a sprig of broccoli because they'd gone soggy and a bit mouldy. Not been eating veg, see.

I think Gordon Brown is right about people throwing food away, but that's not why food prices are rising. Food prices are going up because he's a greedy cunt. Funnily enough fuel prices are going up because he's a greedy cunt too. Here's hoping Red Gordon has a heart attack and burns his house down, with him in it :thumb:
  • Options
    I agree with that Kermit. It's always good to reduce your waste but it's not going to stop food prices rising and it's not going to drastically cut your living costs or make up for the price increase.

Also funnily enough Gordon Brown had a 6 course lunch and an 8 course dinner today at the meeting about the food crisis ...
  • Options
    Red Gordon knows what his priority is: himself. He's a complete (insert rude word) but anyone who voted Labour has got what they deserve. Just a shame we have to live with him too.

But to answer the OP: I throw away less food than a lot of people (don't bother with use by or best before unless it looks or smells off or it is pork or chicken) but I throw away more food than I would if I was living in a time of rationing or famine.
  • Options
    I couldn't find a "use within X time after opening" date on that philadelphia but I opened it to have a sniff and it was completely covered in green furry mould! So I thought it was best to be on the safe side and chuck it ;)
  • Options
    Mould normally means that it has gone off:p

I've eaten yoghurts two weeks after their use by date before, they've been fine. They always were cautious with the use by dates to avoid getting sued but things are getting silly now. My tomato ketchup tells me to keep it refrigerated and use within a month of opening. Why? The three main ingredients are sugar, water and sugar again. Sugar doesn't go off.
  • Options
    We throw away a fair bit but it's not like we buy things on purpose with the intention of throwing them away later. It's a ridiculous thing to come out and say to the country.
  • Options
    KHSS: sauce that my mum makes ;) but I don't think it matters whether it's from a jar or not.
  • Options
    :thumb: thank you.

also worth bearing in mind that "Best Before" indicates a quality date, rather than a "this could make you ill if you eat it after this date" and so most things are fine with that on.
    "Use by" is less of a quality thing and more of a potential food poisoning issue and "Display Until" is just for bread I think and there are different rules for when supermarkets have to take it off the shelves.
  • Options
    Indrid ColdIndrid Cold Posts: 16,688 Skive's The Limit
    I avoid "throwing" food out. I just leave it somewhere for the strays most of the times.
  • Options
    I'm still experimenting cooking wise, like last night I made a disgusting sweet and sour dish which ended up in the bin! I'm also experimenting with new fruit, veg and other foods. Therefore, sadly more than I would like is being binned at the moment.

I normally cook enough for the next day, buy essentials only (e.g. I used to buy a pack of chocolate biscuits- feel guilty then chuck the rest of the pack away!) I shall be a resident on this thread though, I like the idea of freezing leftover sauces, and shall be reading for plenty more tips!
  • Options
    your-babe wrote: »
    (e.g. I used to buy a pack of chocolate biscuits- feel guilty then chuck the rest of the pack away!)

How?? Why????? :eek:
  • Options
    I used to throw a lot away when I just browsed the shelves, then realised I couldn't afford to do that. Now I plan everything for the week ahead and throw very little away.
  • Options
    did anyone see that program not so long ago(forgotten what it was called) where this guy kept eating out of date food for a week or 2? he ate sausages that were well passed their date and was fine. he even ate bread that had mould on it.

bread last ages though. the display til on most brands is followed by '(2)', so the shop has to sell it at least 2 days before the display til date, then it takes a while to go mouldy anyway.
  • Options
    I don't throw stuff away unless it really has gone past it. I like little oranges but I often end up throwing them away because they look ok on the outside but taste manky on the inside

Sometimes leftovers get chucked if there's not enough to make another meal, but then there's usually not much so it doesn't matter so much
  • Options
    I've learnt from my housemates to buy barely any food and only buy that as and when its needed. Generally means we'll all end up going to the shops 3 or 4 times a week but it seems to work out better/cheaper than throwing loads of gone off food away as was the case when i first moved in.
    If i accidentally make too much dinner i'll share it with the others, same with them. That way barely anything gets wasted.
  • Options
    I recently threw out a jar of marmite I'd been eating from every now and then - but it had gone of in September 04.
  • Options
    Sikorah wrote: »
    did anyone see that program not so long ago(forgotten what it was called) where this guy kept eating out of date food for a week or 2? he ate sausages that were well passed their date and was fine. he even ate bread that had mould on it.

bread last ages though. the display til on most brands is followed by '(2)', so the shop has to sell it at least 2 days before the display til date, then it takes a while to go mouldy anyway.

Argh, I saw that show! But I wonder if he keeps it up now that the shows over. The meat thing was the worst. I know that all the bacteria will be dead but just the SMELL would put be right off.. UGH

Anyway, in my family of 5, we have hardly any waste at all as my parents will finish off whatever us kids don't eat and vice versa. When I'm on my own though, I end up throwing lots of stuff away because if I want to finish a tin or packet of something in a week, I'd need to eat it everyday for three days and I just don't want to.
  • Options
    I avoid "throwing" food out. I just leave it somewhere for the strays most of the times.

The rats you mean.
  • Options
    Not really. My dad grew up where meals and attitude towards food was very very depression-era inspired. He sort of has the same mentality and I took that as well! I absoutly hate seeing food go to waste. I eat leftovers 90%of the time. I'll save anything and eat it later on or for another meal. Even if I don't like the taste of something I'll eat it until it is gone because I cannot to throw it away.
  • Options
    budda wrote: »
    I recently threw out a jar of marmite I'd been eating from every now and then - but it had gone of in September 04.
    i threw some away a few weeks ago that was best before september 06 :D
    Still tasted normal. Im sure its got that much salt in it that it will never go off.

I actually dont chuck that much food out. The main thing I do throw out is bread thats gone a bit stale at the ends, but usually i save it for the ducks. Most unwanted leftovers go to the dog. She even eats the vegetable peelings and offcuts.

Apart from that i use most things, even if theyre out of date as long as they smell ok.
  • Options
    I had to throw out a load of food tonight after my egg fried rice failed spectacularly. I blame the pan though.
  • Options
    How the fuck did you screw that up?

Im only joking. Despite thinking i can pull off a recipe i can screw it up so bad it has to be thrown away because it isnt even worthy to be fed to the dog.

This recipe springs to mind. I panicked when it didnt emulsify. It did eventually but then it just tasted of hard potato and really strong lemon. Eurgh. The bin ate the lot :yuck:
  • Options
    Indrid ColdIndrid Cold Posts: 16,688 Skive's The Limit
    budda wrote: »
    The rats you mean.
    Nah, dogs and cats. Lots of them around, last time I saw a rat was 12 years ago and about a km away.
  • Options
    I hate throwing stuff away to be honest. I cook for myself as I'm vegetarian so when I make something like a curry or soup I eat it for a couple of days then freeze the rest in bags to use at a later date.

I agree that the best thing to do with leftover veg is in a frittata. Bubble & squeak is also good.

The only thing I sometimes end up throwing away is fruit because I forget to eat it and it goes off easily. I try and plan meals though so I don't end up throwing stuff away.

If I have leftover wine that I don't want to drink, I pour it into ice cube trays and freeze it, then I use the wine cubes in cooking. It's really useful when you need a bit of wine in a sauce but don't want to open a bottle.
  • Options
    go_away wrote: »
    Gordon Brown says people do (so it must be true :D )

When I was single and buying food for myself I used to throw about 1/4 of food out. Partly because I'd usually shop on an empty stomach and eat with my eyes. Now that I live with my boyfriend I don't throw much out, partly because I enjoy using leftovers, partly because he hates seeing food going to waste and partly because he eats it all :D (I mean, :grump: )

Might be a good time to turn this into a thifty food thread?

If I have leftover sauces, like tomato sauce or pesto, I'll put them into ice cube trays and freeze them so I can add them to dishes later on.

I freeze chicken bones from roasts, stick them into freezer bags and freeze them so I can accumulate them and use them to make stock at a later date.

Vegetables at the bottom of the fridge make a very nice frittata.

Only if it's gone off or spoilt. I think it's immoral to throw away unspoilt food.
  • Options
    Never. Food's too bloody expensive to throw away. I have a basic idea of what the week's meals are going to be, and adapt along the way if something is going out of date. I check the sell/use by date on everything we buy.
  • Options
    I think that it's very common for people who've just moved away from home to have a lot of waste. I am really bad at it at times. I'll do a 50 pound shop (which is quite a bit for a student) and end up throwing a lot away.
    I've become a lot better though, and after failures in the kitchen I've learnt what goes together and what not so much - and even managed to cook up delivious 'inventions' of my own such as sweet potato lasagna, and now always manage to throw in vegetables to whatever I am cooking to add to the flavour.
    I end up throwing out most of the time is veg and meat. Though that's because I don't eat a lot of meat but then get tempted by the bogof offers. Even when I have a list, I always manage to get something else. I buy on impulse and when it comes to food I don't want prohibit myself and have a weakness for the mediterranean section.
    Basically I hope that I'll live nearer a supermarket this year as it creates less waste when buying things as you go, rather than in one big shop.