Home Health & Wellbeing
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

so tired and feel hopeless

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
I'm 21 and for the past few years have always needed to take naps and find myself yawning all of the time. I've had iron deficiency tests in the past and am not anemic. I know that if I go to my doctor he will sprout on about the benefits of sticking to a regime and being active. I try to be active but it seems to take a lot out of me. Also I have hit the point where I don't see the point in doing anything. I know that people think that I am lazy and hint at me to get a job. I don't have the inclination to get a job. I don't see the point and can't imagine myself being able to do this and study without collapsing. I know plenty of people can do this and exhaust themselves doing this and it makes me feel bad. When I'm at uni after one lecture and a study session I find myself drifting off to bed. Things seem so much easier.

I can happily sleep throughout the day. I stayed with my cousin last week who has CF and our sleep patterns seem very very similar even though I have no excuse. Sometimes I would just rather stay in bed but then I feel as if I'm wasting my life.

Eurgh, I'm trying to be honest here and if anyone wants to call me lazy then feel free. But feeling physically exhausted after doing nothing doesn't seem normal to me. I know the obvious answer would be to do something but I just have no motivation to do that whatsoever.

Comments

• Options
    Have you been tested for an underactive thryoid?

Tweety, rachie004 and I all have it and I think the most common thing we've all mentioned is the sheer knackeredness we get. I don't actually have many of the other symptoms usually listed tho'.

http://www.nhsdirect.nhs.uk/articles/article.aspx?articleId=206&sectionId=1
  • Options
    I haven't been tested but reading through the symptoms I can't really see any that apply to me apart from feeling easily fatigued and lethargic. I don't know if there is a wider spectrum but my voice seems normal and my skin isn't really dry or anything.

edit: Just read that you don't have many of the symptoms listed.

I just want a genuine reason for why I have felt like this for ages and don't want to be fobbed off by the doctor and told to go have a blood test as usual.
  • Options
    I hope it's not M.E. (almost the same as CF) but can you see another doctor?
  • Options
    I don't think they always include thyroid tests when they do a general test - you probably need to ask specifically for it to be included. On the form, if the doc gives you one to take to the nurse/hospital, the boxes for TFTs and T4s I think are the ones which are ticked when testing for thyroid probs.
  • Options
    Thanks. I think I'll ring up to make an appointment tomorrow. I just feel stupid and lazy for being so tired.