Home Health & Wellbeing
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

Am I being selfish asking Mum not to drink?

Hello. I'm 29 years old and live with my mother (age 60) and grandmother (age 83). My dad died 16 years ago and my mum has been alone ever since.

My problem is I think my mum is an alcoholic. She drinks daily, hides it, no one knows except me. I have a 31 year old brother who just doesn't care or understand how bad it is even when I have tried talking to him. My nan doesn't know as her son was an alcoholic and if she knew my mum was it would kill her.

I can no longer tell when my mum is soba or drunk sometimes. She does no harm, is not violent and I have talked to her about it. She says the only reason I want her to give up drink is because I'm selfish. She asked me why should she give up? Just because of me?

I just feel at the end of my tether. should I ask her to give up her one vice? I just hate seeing her waste her life by drinking. She just does it she says because she's bored.

I have tried to get her out of the house, take up a hobby, but she just won't.

Any advice?

Thanks.:banghead:
Beep boop. I'm a bot.

Comments

• Options
    Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    You're not selfish. Your mum is the one with the problem, not you.

Unable to say much else, but you're certainly not selfish.
  • Options
    It is when it boils down to it her choice, you certainly can not make her give up - as much as you may want to (and its probably in her best interest).

Before making big moves on your mum to confront her about her drinking I'd talk to a few of the charities around who deal with problem drinkers, they will give you advice about how to best approach her.

In the broader sense, no you arent selfish in wanting her to give up, alcohol is a deeply harmful drug if used to excess.
  • Options
    Thank you. Yes I think I will have to contact a charity. I today ended up in tears in front of her hoping she may realise if it's upsetting me this much she would give up. But deep down I know that's not the right way to go about it. She would then be giving up for me and not her.
  • Options
    If she is an alcoholic then the only person who can make her stop is herself. Nothing you do will really make a difference, it's got to come from her.

Does she have a car? Does she drive? If so that's something that's worth thinking about and is something you may need to challenge. People who drink throughout the day on a regular basis are more likely to drive when over the limit simply because they forget they are.

What's the actual problem, I know you're going to say the fact that she drinks all the time, but in itself that is only really a problem for her liver.

Does she have a job? Ever leave the house? Is she really addicted to alcohol or is the drinking because she is miserable and has nothing else to do? The most important thing is that she gets out of the house and does something, even if it's just little things to begin with. Apart from anything else, exercise, fresh air and sunlight are pretty essential to healthy living.

Who does your shopping? Something as simple as going out to the supermarket and then going out for a coffee afterwards would be a good start. Adult education classes might be another place to look for something for her to do with her time.

While it will be very tempting to just try and get her to stop drinking, you're far more likely to succeed with that if you actually put that to one side and try and help her improve the rest of her life first.
  • Options
    Oh, and take care of yourself, and have a look at Al-Anon, it's a group for family members of alcoholics.
  • Options
    What you have said makes a lot of sense. She drinks because she is bored but also she has regular panic attacks and doesn't like being around very many people. The doctor says she has social phobia so she drinks to calm her down but it's a vicious circle.

I have tried so hard to suggest different things to get out out of the house and maybe take up a hobby but she says she doesn't like people, is not interested in leaning anything else. She doesn't drive, I do the shopping. She won't pay the prices to have a coffee out as she/we are on a very low income (even though she will always buy her wine for £2 a bottle!)

She walks the dog daily for an hour over the woods but that's about it.

But yes she is just drinking as shes miserable and has nothing else she wants to do. And also to stop herself having panic attacks. I have tried explainin that alcohol will only make the panic attacks worse but she is very stubborn.

I have been trying for years to get her interested in something else but I just fail :(
  • Options
    Was it because of your dad's death that she started drinking in the first place? People usually don't become reliant on alcohol without an underlying reason, whether it's grief, insecurity, depression, feeling of having no control over her passing life, etc.

It's all very well getting her to admit that she has a drink problem, but I suspect that there is more to it than this. Try and get her to open up more. Even though it may be painful for you, try and get her to talk about your Dad and see where that goes, and if neccessary, try and get her to attend professional counselling, not straight away but possibly in the future. *hugs*
  • Options
    I think Teagan has a very valid point, alcohol or drug abuse is rarely purely about the drugs themselves, it is an escape from other issues or problems.

Just dealing with the alcohol as the cause of the issue will not ultimately help, she drinks to excess for reasons, its these that need addressing.
  • Options
    Thanks for the post. Yes I think it boils down to my dads death and we have talked about it a lot. She has opened up but shes always said he was the love of her life, she had never been with another man and never has since and never will. It's like she died with him :(

I have tried so many things, she had councilling once but says its a waste of time and she doesn't believe in "all that mumbo jumbo" she says! ( I disagree) so theres no chance of her seeing a counciller. I seem to be running out of options.

I'm not dismissing anyones advice byt the way, it just seems most things people have suggested, whilst good advice, i have tried already :(

but thanks x
  • Options
    Unfortunately there is no magic solution, it's just a case of persevering.

Have you tried persuading her to come shopping with you? That way she can go somewhere, but not on her own. Another thing would be to go back to the doctor, if she's got social phobia then that needs addressing.
  • Options
    Yes we have been a few places together, she likes garden centres etc but she drinks before we go. I think I will just have to live with it. I can only keep trying I suppose. I really don't want to have to move out of home at the moment as I have money problems but just can't go on seeing her self distruct But then is that me being selfish?
  • Options
    If you've got the time, try making the Garden Centre trips more frequent, see if you can get to the stage where she enjoys them. While she's out and about she's far less likely to drink.

Another option if you've got the time would be to see if you can go out somewhere, the two of you for a longer time period. Maybe go on a long dog walk on a Saturday morning, or go out somewhere, that way you can reasonably expect no drinking before you go.

That all said, it's her house and it's her life and you have to let a grown woman chose how she wants to live her life to a certain extent.
  • Options
    Yes I think i'll try that but true what you say she is a grown women and it is her house. I just hate to see her doing nothing with her life when she's worth so much more.

Unfortunately she has a drink first thing in the morning so is never fully soba to my knowledge.

Thanks for the advice :)
  • Options
    Firesilk, please don't try and struggle through this on your own.

You can call Drinkline, on 0800 917 82 82 (freephone) for initial advice. Remember, loads of families suffer from what you are going through now so Drinkline will have the experience and expertise to give you some support and direction. You have nothing to lose and potentially, much to gain.
  • Options
    If she does consistantly drink, and has done for more than 4 or 5 years then if she is going to stop she must do it with the help of her GP or some other expert.

She could well be a chemically addicted alcoholic, and fast withdrawl can be very serious.

I think small steps are the best option, try and involve her in things, and perk her interest - that way she will have less reason to drink.
  • Options
    Teagan wrote: »
    Firesilk, please don't try and struggle through this on your own.

You can call Drinkline, on 0800 917 82 82 (freephone) for initial advice. Remember, loads of families suffer from what you are going through now so Drinkline will have the experience and expertise to give you some support and direction. You have nothing to lose and potentially, much to gain.

Thank you I will definitely give them a call.
  • Options
    I think my mother is/has been turning into a closet alcoholic for a while
  • Options
    Hiya,

Just to say that if you don't feel you're quite ready to speak to someone on the telephone then our askTheSite service may be a useful place to try. It allows yout o ask an expert advisor about your situation and get a confidential personal response within 3 working days.

I think you should try the number suggested but you might find asking a question helps clarify things before calling.

Head over here to ask a question -

http://www.thesite.org/community/askthesite
  • Options
    Jim V wrote: »
    Hiya,

Just to say that if you don't feel you're quite ready to speak to someone on the telephone then our askTheSite service may be a useful place to try. It allows yout o ask an expert advisor about your situation and get a confidential personal response within 3 working days.

I think you should try the number suggested but you might find asking a question helps clarify things before calling.

Head over here to ask a question -

http://www.thesite.org/community/askthesite

Many thanks :)
  • Options
    Just an update on this question....I thought my mum was drinking because of boredom but the problem is actually worse than I ever expected.

This morning (before she walked the dog for an hour which she loves doing), I saw her swigging from a bottle of wine in her bedroom at 8.30am. So surely this cannot be boredom? Also she was going to go out this afternoon with a friend as the weather is lovely (her friend has decided not to)

I will call drinkline this week. Just plucking up the bottle to do it. Any more experiences or views?

Thank you.
  • Options
    Drinkline or Al-Anon. Not used drinkline but al anon are great.

You shouldn't need to pluck up the courage to do so, it's just a chat with someone who has some understanding of the situation and might have some suggestions.