Home General Chat
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

Ip

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
Long story short, I tried to connect to the neighbours internet whilst on holiday. Worked for two days and then stopped. So I started messing about with all the wireless and connection options and still nothing helped.
Just got back home and have realised that my laptop doesn't connect here now. The error message says something about an IP. So i reckon I messed up one of the options - but have no clue which.

I know nothing about this at all, so any suggestion of how to renew the IP/whatever needs to be done for it to be working?
ANY help appreciated as I really need it to work.

Comments

• Options
    What is the exact error message? You could try Start>>Run>>type cmd then on the black box that pops up type ipconfig /release and after it's done type ipconfig /renew

Reboot system.
  • Options
    Thanks, though my dad tried that last night. Says it can't do that as 'no operation can be performed on Local Area Connection while it has its media disconnected' - whatever that means.

:(
  • Options
    You might want to search your machine model on the manufacturer's site (if it's branded), then locate a more recent driver for your wireless adapter. If it's a dongle that you've added yourself, then likewise except you're searching for the manufacturer of the dongle instead of the machine.

Tsk tsk to the neighbour for not hiding their SSID, let alone leaving their wireless network unsecured :-)
  • Options
    I'm sorry, I don't really understand any of that.
    But thanks anyways :crying:
  • Options
    Try typing type ipconfig /release all instead.
  • Options
    Wendy; try going to start, run, typing cmd then in the box, type ipconfig /all, then right click, select all, ctrl + c, then paste the result. Feel free to edit out any personally identifiable information if you like.

It may be the case that you are getting an IP, but have turned on encryption or something and so it can't communicate with your router.

If all else fails, this may help:
    http://support.microsoft.com/kb/299357

It should restore your network settings "to its state that existed when the operating system was installed"