Home Politics & Debate
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

Apologists veto Zimbabwe sanctions

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
Story.

Disgraceful.
UN SANCTIONS VOTE
FOR
Belgium
Burkina Faso
Costa Rica
Croatia
France
Italy
Panama
UK
United States
AGAINST
China
Libya
Russia
South Africa
Vietnam
ABSTAINED
Indonesia

South Africans should be utterly ashamed of their government: what kind of 'democracy' sides with dictatorships like Zimbabwe, supported by single-party dictatorships - China, Libya, Vietnam (and might as well include Russia too).

Comments

• Options
    How come Tajikistan's vote was not mentioned? I want to know ANSWERS! NOW! ARGHHHHHHHHHHH! :mad:
  • Options
    I totally agree. Does China really want to be seen by the world as a country which is sucking up to brutal dictatorships, just before the world's eyes turn its attention towards the Beijing Olympics? Methinks they've just shot themselves in the foot - and methinks they don't give a damn about that either.
  • Options
    Of course they don't give a shit. They've been profiting off the Darfur genocide ffs. But I suppose that announces their arrival as a major world player, because everyone else has been doing that sort of thing for years.

Very disappointing vote though. Although the only one that really matters on that list is South Africa.
  • Options
    Wankers. Shame on them.

Obviously they're worried they could be next. Heaven forbid some foreigner should try to tell you you cannot butcher people at will... :rolleyes:
  • Options
    I think there's a good argument against sanctions; are UN sanctions of any kind going to get rid of mugabe? Did they get rid of Hussein? Or have they ever got rid of any dictator?

History has shown time and time again the more pressure you put on a dictator the more they will just increase their deathgrip on their own people. It's a sad but true reality. I don't know the best way out of the situation really.
  • Options
    ShyBoy wrote: »
    I think there's a good argument against sanctions; are UN sanctions of any kind going to get rid of mugabe? Did they get rid of Hussein?
    Nobody stuck to the sanctions in Iraq. France were dealing with them. China were dealing with them. I think Russia were dealing with them.
    ShyBoy wrote: »
    Or have they ever got rid of any dictator?
    I think they've crippled some in the past. In fact, I think South Africa was the last place they worked effectively, and contributed greatly towards the ending of apartheid. I'm only repeating what I heard somewhere though, so I wouldn't trust that. But let's be honest, it can't get any worse for the people of Zimbabwe. The fact is that any trade with Zimbabwe will just be going straight to those in power. If sanctions work, then they will only affect those in power, because everyone else has nothing anyway.
  • Options
    The veto from South Africa doesnt massively surprise me, you have to understand the local and southern african politics behind South Africas position.

Mbeki hasnt got a liberation leg to stand on, he's a cold economic statistician - compared to Mugabe he's pretty much white.

And of course you have the immigration issue, the last thing South Africa wants is a further break down in Zimbabwe it would lead to even more people coming across the border. South Africa is not a rich country and they can not deal with a million or more Zimbabwians.
  • Options
    Also I think its slightly patronising to condemn south africa when as you say budda they probably are better informed about the situation. What I thought was a good thing over the weekend though was the announcement that an Israel - Palestine peace deal has never been closer by the Israeli president. Wonderful :) (though it has nothing to do with africa...)

I think what would be appropriate with zimbabwe
    - an arms embargo forbidding foreign nations to trade weapons or munitions with zimbabwe
    - some kind of talks between mugabe and tsavangari (cant spell his name) mediated by south africa
    - immediate international aid to help those in zimbabwe (and now south africa) with shelter, healthcare and food

Mugabe is a dictator and I believe his country would be better off without him but I don't believe there is an easy way to remove him without doing more harm than good. So we should support the people of Zimbabwe however the international community is able to. I think ultimately any change should be homegrown and I hope that it can happen without bloodshed although.. looking at the events leading up to the run off I'm not sure if this is possible.

But imagine if a country deposed mugabe and held 'democratic' elections, how could the new government ever be legitimate? It would just cause a civil war. Bear in mind a lot if not all of the african political countries are actually consisting of two or three other nations (from tribal origins) that spread over the boundaries and there is often a conflict between the state government and the local / tribal governance.

It is such a complex situation and there is no easy fix, its going to be about developing tolerance and understanding -again- just like in Israel and in Northern Ireland. So I think the best thing we can do is stop giving them weapons, and start giving them food and shelter.
  • Options
    If they had pushed for just an arms embargo they may have got it, but even thats unlikely - Both China and Russia will sell anything to anyone (not that we are all that much better).
  • Options
    I think they've crippled some in the past. In fact, I think South Africa was the last place they worked effectively, and contributed greatly towards the ending of apartheid.

It had less impact than you might imagine. The country became virtually self-sufficient in everything, except the production of oil in large enough quantities.
  • Options
    budda wrote: »
    South Africa is not a rich country and they can not deal with a million or more Zimbabwians.

Only because the ANC government are f**king up big time. It has enormous natural wealth.
  • Options
    Teagan wrote: »
    Only because the ANC government are f**king up big time. It has enormous natural wealth.

Very few countries with large mineral wealth have managed to share it out to the people.

But you are right, the ANC are hugely corrupt and have managed to make South Africa and even more divided country than during the 70's. Having one party dominate a country for so long is really bad for democracy and the country.
  • Options
    A German company has, seemingly inadvertently, produced what may be the best sanction.

The very substance all Governments rely on, paper, is being denied.

http://www.latimes.com/news/nationworld/world/la-fg-money14-2008jul14,0,3947241.story
  • Options
    A German company has, seemingly inadvertently, produced what may be the best sanction.

The very substance all Governments rely on, paper, is being denied.

http://www.latimes.com/news/nationworld/world/la-fg-money14-2008jul14,0,3947241.story

Gotta love the pic

40989195.jpg
  • Options
    Back in 1980 that zimbabwean dollar was stronger than the (once) mighty US dollar, which seems to be heading the way of the zimbabwean dollar itself. But that is another story.
  • Options
    I don't get it we rammed into Iraq on the basis of lies yet we sit here and let the zimbabway people be treated like this, while sadam had a few political oposers killed etc in zimbabway the whole population is suffering and we sit here and whatch. surely its so damn easy to just walk over there (in military terms) and beat the shit out of that chicken bastard !
  • Options
    I don't get it we rammed into Iraq on the basis of lies yet we sit here and let the zimbabway people be treated like this, while sadam had a few political oposers killed etc in zimbabway the whole population is suffering and we sit here and whatch. surely its so damn easy to just walk over there (in military terms) and beat the shit out of that chicken bastard !

Because Zimbabwe isnt threatening the countries next to it - not that Iraq was but that was the reason given for invading.

We are not invading because there is nothing we can gain from it, the Iraq war gives us oil and a nice and expensive mess to help fund the arms industry and other civil contractors who have donated a lot of money to the US government.
  • Options
    budda wrote: »
    Because Zimbabwe isnt threatening the countries next to it - not that Iraq was but that was the reason given for invading.

We are not invading because there is nothing we can gain from it, the Iraq war gives us oil and a nice and expensive mess to help fund the arms industry and other civil contractors who have donated a lot of money to the US government.

hm thats what i thought nothing in it for us so fuck the people of zimbabwe ! so thats what the UN and all the other bullshit is about
  • Options
    hm thats what i thought nothing in it for us so fuck the people of zimbabwe ! so thats what the UN and all the other bullshit is about

That they are black and poor doesnt help their case.
  • Options
    Zimbabwe - the only country in the world where everyone's a billionaire, yet still can't afford to buy anything. How desperately sad.
  • Options
    I think Mugabe in the beginning was perfectly justified in his actions.

He signed a deal in good faith with the British to return the land back, which was stolen by the white colonialists. I know that doesn't justify oppressing his opponents though, but nonetheless I can see where he was coming from initially.
  • Options
    ilipintt wrote: »
    I think Mugabe in the beginning was perfectly justified in his actions.

He signed a deal in good faith with the British to return the land back, which was stolen by the white colonialists. I know that doesn't justify oppressing his opponents though, but nonetheless I can see where he was coming from initially.

A) Two wrongs dont make a right.

B) It was rarely returned to those who it was stole from, it largely went to friends and supporters of Mugabe.

C) In doing so he's managed to completely destroy one of the most productive countries in Africa.

So all in all, although I can sympathise with the idea that White farmers shouldnt own all the good land, his methods ment that everyone suffered.