Home Sex & Relationships
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

Only seen as rship material, not fun/fling!

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
I'm sure many have the opposite problem. I'm just curious what it is about me that always gives off this vibe -

Quite a few times recently when I've expressed interest in a girl, they have genuinely / sincerely said that they do really like me, but they don't want a serious relationship right now, just fun and flings with guys they don't really care about, and I'm more the sort of guy they'd want to settle down in a serious committed relationship with, but they'd only want that a lot later down the line. I dunno how I give off that vibe as I come across quite fun and not so serious (I don't look like my avatar when in a club!!) and don't exactly say upfront I want an exclusive relationship. In the past it was quite easy to just engage in fun flings with girls I liked, but now several times I've heard identical things - a "come back in 2 yrs when I've finished messing around with loads of other guys and I'll be exclusive with you". I wouldn't mind a bit of fun myself ya know..!

T x

Comments

• Options
    I thought you got loads of girls :P

But i understand what you mean, i wouldnt mind a bit of fun myself, but i think im stuck in blatent relationship mode!
  • Options
    MrG wrote: »
    I thought you got loads of girls :P
    Pulling at clubs is fine, I'm talking about moving that onto "dating" / "going out with". Over the last few mths people I want to be with (would rather have a relationship sure, but something's better than nothing so a fling is totally fine) are repeatedly giving me this same reason. I ask someone if they want to go for a drink one night and get that kinda response!
  • Options
    Sounds like an easy/gentle way of letting somebody down. I.e to say they're not interested.
  • Options
    g_angel wrote: »
    Sounds like an easy/gentle way of letting somebody down. I.e to say they're not interested.

:yes: I thought that too but didn't want to say as it's probably not what you want to hear. I'm not saying that everyone who says that to you means it in that way but it definitely sounds like an alternative to "it's not you, it's me".
  • Options
    StupidGirl wrote: »
    :yes: I thought that too but didn't want to say as it's probably not what you want to hear. I'm not saying that everyone who says that to you means it in that way but it definitely sounds like an alternative to "it's not you, it's me".
    It may sound like that to an outsider, but with at least 2 of these girls it's 100% definitely not the case - they've told other friends they're into me, its clear they have feelings for me and they've said as much, and girls wouldn't go out of their way to say on the lines of "But, don't rule out something happening in the future between us" if they didn't mean it. Its just frustrating and I'm curious what it would be about me where I'm seen as relationship material only, sidelined in their mind till years down the line when they want to settle down, when I'd be more than happy to be in the shoes of the guy she's currently having a fun sex-fuelled fling with.
  • Options
    tinkler wrote: »
    and girls wouldn't go out of their way to say on the lines of "But, don't rule out something happening in the future between us" if they didn't mean it.

Yes they would. Anybody would as in a couple of years you are likely to be with somebody else and so they wouldn't have to 'deal' with the situation.
  • Options
    Or it may be that they think you're a nice guy, but don't want to piss about for a bit of fun because it will always change the way things currently stand. They'd rather have you as a mate than risk losing the friend and future possibilties for a bit of casual fun now.

Maybe it's better trying new people and pulls from clubs if you want fun.
  • Options
    It may sound like that to an outsider, but with at least 2 of these girls it's 100% definitely not the case - they've told other friends they're into me, its clear they have feelings for me and they've said as much, and girls wouldn't go out of their way to say on the lines of "But, don't rule out something happening in the future between us" if they didn't mean it. Its just frustrating and I'm curious what it would be about me where I'm seen as relationship material only, sidelined in their mind till years down the line when they want to settle down, when I'd be more than happy to be in the shoes of the guy she's currently having a fun sex-fuelled fling with.

Your getting the brush off obviously. Move on I say.
  • Options
    bossa wrote: »
    Your getting the brush off obviously. Move on I say.
    Oh fuck. I'm starting to think that's the case then. Its the worst thing a girl can do, make a guy think there could be a chance when there isn't. Can leave them hoping for something and then eventually it all comes crashing down much worse than just saying no don't feel the same way (surely that's not hard, its honest and inoffensive). The last couple of days I've been somewhat happy and positive when dreaming about the future and me being with a certain girl (quite a lot of you would have seen her on music channels actually!). Would much rather just know it won't ever happen and get closure than the hazy possibility of something later that never materialises. Fuck
  • Options
    It does suck, but if I were you if you're told this again I would just accept it for what it is - an admission that you're not quite right for that girl but that she cares for you/thinks too much of you to hurt your feelings. Smile and move on. There are plenty more girls out there for you (as I'm sure you know!) and it just so happens the ones you've met recently aren't right for you. I'm not trying to sound trite, or cliched, just wanted to try and reassure you it's not something that's wrong with you :)
  • Options
    Seems like what they really say is that they're not really interested in you. Do go on, don't just settle for being the nice guy that women settle for after they've had fun with (in those women's eyes) more attractive and exciting guys.
  • Options
    T-Kay wrote: »
    Seems like what they really say is that they're not really interested in you. Do go on, don't just settle for being the nice guy that women settle for after they've had fun with (in those women's eyes) more attractive and exciting guys.
    What do you mean here by "do go on" - you say they're not really interested in me, but then say they are interested in potentially settling down with me? Really I should be pleased at the concept people see me as long-term material, in the long run that's more important, but right now give me my string of flings..!
  • Options
    What do you mean here by "do go on" - you say they're not really interested in me, but then say they are interested in potentially settling down with me? Really I should be pleased at the concept people see me as long-term material, in the long run that's more important, but right now give me my string of flings..!

Note that I'm writing this on the basis on finding a partner for a relationship, and not just a fling, and from what you wrote that seems to be what you preferred as well, but do correct if I am mistaken.

Well, I agree that being viewed as a potential long term partner is a compliment, but do you really want to get into those women who doesn't see you as attractive for fun as well? IMO relationships are about fun as well. I personally wouldn't get involved with someone that thinks I'm good solely for being a nice, secure partner in the future, but doesn't want anything to do with me now. I'd look for women that find me attractive on the initial basis as well as wanting to have a serious relationship with me.
  • Options
    Your expectations out of life are quite high.
  • Options
    junker wrote: »

It's not about expectations of life but about which type of partners you want to settle for.
  • Options

Well, I agree that being viewed as a potential long term partner is a compliment, but do you really want to get into those women who doesn't see you as attractive for fun as well? IMO relationships are about fun as well. I personally wouldn't get involved with someone that thinks I'm good solely for being a nice, secure partner in the future, but doesn't want anything to do with me now. I'd look for women that find me attractive on the initial basis as well as wanting to have a serious relationship with me.

I strongly agree.
  • Options
    It's not about expectations of life but about which type of partners you want to settle for.

Sorry, my post was towards the OP.
  • Options
    Well yes they are, but why settle for anything less? Just because goals are ambitious doesn't mean they're not achievable. I've dated celebrities most of you would have heard of, for example. I want life to be perfect (based on my criteria for what's perfect) and not too far away from there right now imho
    T-Kay wrote:
    Interesting - because if I see a girl as a bit of fun / a fling but not long-term relationship material, its because she's not good enough to be long-term rship material, hence settles for the 'second option'. Basically I might like her but not find her attractive enough / she may have some flaws which would put me off going out in the long run. I'm happy to have fun / mess around with anyone at all I like, of which a minority I'd additionally want as relationships. Hence girls saying they'd only want (b) but never (a) is odd.
  • Options
    Only seen as relationship material? Welcome to my world. I'm forever being told by my female friends that they see me as the sort of man they'd like to have a family with. I honestly have no idea why they think this, and asking them doesn't seem to yield many results.

If nothing else, there is one advantage to all this. In theory, this means that when the times comes, and these women want to settle down and have some babies, I'm going to have a lot of women to choose from. "Excellent", as Mr Burns would say.
  • Options
    stargalaxy wrote: »
    Only seen as relationship material? Welcome to my world.

Welcome to some people's fantasies.

I'm not saying anyone should settle, I'm just trying to put things in perspective. So you're not seen as fling material? So what? And by who? Some random women at a handful of pubs/bars/clubs? Migrate around a bit.

Complaining about not having a fling in your situation is like complaining about not winning a beauty pageant. You may have not won, but at least you're in it. At least you're acceptable by societies standards, and even more importantly, your own.
  • Options
    Most of my female friends know that I am always good for a fling, and had been playing the field for several years now. Their utterly shocked reactions (genuine shock) when I tell them I have a girlfriend is quite funny to watch.
  • Options
    I'm sure it's hilarious. Gain 80 pounds and develop some morals that require you to become something visibally/physically acceptable to society while battling your amazingly efficient genetics.

It's a lot of fun if you like challenges, but if you're used to the silver spoon, fuck it.
  • Options
    I'm sure it's hilarious. Gain 80 pounds and develop some morals that require you to become something visibally/physically acceptable to society while battling your amazingly efficient genetics.

It's a lot of fun if you like challenges, but if you're used to the silver spoon, fuck it.

Errrrrrrrr... What?