Home Sex & Relationships
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

The ex factor...

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
who here has managed to stay friends with their ex?

to answer my own question...i'm friends with one (apart from he wants more) and semi friends with another but it is very volatile.

has anyone ever managed to achieve a real friendship?

Comments

• Options
    1 of them yes, but i think we are better as friends.

The other 2 its civil but i wouldn't say they were friends. I'd still speak to them if i saw them though
  • Options
    1st - still chat on MSN every now and again; he leads a very jetset lifestyle so it's mostly chat about whereabouts in the world he is.
    2nd - shared about four txts since the day we split up. No bad feeling, we just haven't got anything in common.
    3rd - have the occasional "hi, how are you? good ta" kind of chat on MSN but again nothing much in common

4th, longest relationship - we're now very close and chat about everything. Had a horrid break up, then he started talking to me on MSN basically to apologise, admit I was right all along (:D) and then went on to ask me for relationship advice for his next girlfriend! He lives away now but when he's home he usually suggests going out for a drink and I accept occasionally. I don't need his advice on much but he often asks for mine and usually txts me a few nights a week.

It annoys my boyfriend so I don't see the ex at a time when I could be seeing my boyfriend and I don't txt him when we're in the same room and he's happy with that.

In answer to the original question, I don't think we "stayed" friends, more that after we both got over the breakup we developed a new kind of friendship to what we had before. Don't know if this sounds harsh, but I could easily (and would if it was causing mega rows with my boyfriend) end any contact with any of the above, so maybe that says we're not real "friends".. I dunno.
  • Options
    No, he burnt his bridges a long, long time ago.
  • Options
    In the past I have tried to be friends with ex's but it's all to tempting!

Can't do nothing for me own good me!
  • Options
    Not really no.
  • Options
    1st yes but she can be annoying at times (can be a bit patronising in the way a girlfriend can be, i.e. i 'know' you, nobody but me knows me :p)
    2nd yes but i still fancy her and she doesnt really fancy me so not sure thats friends :p
  • Options
    ShyBoy wrote: »
    2nd yes but i still fancy her and she doesnt really fancy me so not sure thats friends :p
    I fancy half of my female friends, so that gives me a dilemma and a half. :p
  • Options
    Nope. There's one that I'm civil with on the odd occasion we're on MSN at the same time, but it was only a short relationship anyway.
  • Options
    Not really - end up fucking again and slipping into old relationship ways then the problems that ended the relationship pop up and we fall out.

At crossroads with Ex now so maybe something new will happen..:chin: .. Gotta love life! :)
  • Options
    no, am civil and ok with my sons dad, but not a friendship. If we still got on, we wouldnt be exes.

other exes I have no idea where they are.
  • Options
    1st - Keep in touch on facebook
    2nd - Still chat on msn, facebook and the phone from time to time.
    3rd - Pretty much best friends with, talk every day see each other regularly
    4th - Really good friends talk and see each other regularly
    5th - Getting back to friendship terms online, but won't really ever see each other as live in completely separate towns
    6th - Still friends with, see him round work and is kinda in my social circle.
  • Options
    I stayed friends with one for quite a while, despite breaking her heart, but she was my first love. I hadn't spoken to her in ages though until the other day on MSN, where we actually had a minor argument. She hasn't really grown up at all unfortunately.
  • Options
    In short - no.

Doesn't mean that I have harsh feelings or anything like that towards exes. I just feel more content letting the past not dig up old feelings and other things from "days gone by" which makes it easier to make a fresh start. There's a reason for people to have basements, it's where you store memories from the old days so you can go down and look at it every now and then, but it doesn't mean you want the stuff down there to be present in your living room any more.
  • Options
    Friends with my most recent. But we didn't date for very long. Definately better as friends. Another I was friends with for quite some time would meet up once in a while ocassionally they send me a random text...but we live in different places, they travel a lot for work and we have sort of drifted. I think generally most people are best left in teh past, depends on how deep and how the relationship was and how you related to eachother in the first place.
  • Options
    My 'first love' is the only one I'm still friends with even though he's moved away. It was hard for him to start with cos he couldn't get over how we broke up. The only probably was whenever we saw eachother out we'd end up getting with eachother.

The rest - no. Most relationships (actually nearly all) have ended on really bad terms one of them in particular hates me which makes things awkward because we still know a lot of the same people, it's been over a year now and he needs to move on.
  • Options
    1. No - I'd die if i ever saw him again - i did however appropriated one of his very close friends as my own - neither of us see him now
    2. No
    3. We still have mutual friends and i see him around - i did also help him a bit with a drug addiction after we had broken up. Is slightly akward as he is now going out with my best boy friends ex girl - they no long speak to each other - so is akward on that front.
    4. I have no idea where he is or what he is doing.
    5. We have a few mutual friends who i occasionally get updates about his life from - we never speak
    6. Still speak a bit
    7. Still good friends and talk online and occasionally meet up offline - is more complicated though.

However i am still good friends with loads of boys i had short term flings with and love them to bits in a plutonic kind of a way. I think however life would have been different as most of my relationships were in the days before the internet or even mobile phones so no email, msn, facebook etc - i might still keep in touch with more if communication had been easier me thinks.
  • Options
    No, I'm not in contact with any of them.

The first is a loooong time ago and I just don't have the urge to contact her again.

The second broke my heart and I turned on bitch-mode. We exchanged a few friendly e-mails after that, but never stayed in contact.

The third one doesn't really like me, because I was never in love with her and broke it off after I realized it's not going to work out.
  • Options
    I'm good friends with my one and only very recent ex.

Will be more awkward when I go home though I think..
  • Options
    hmm no not really lol :crazyeyes
  • Options
    I'm on speaking terms with everybody I've been out with. Not in regular contact with most of them now, but there are no hard feelings at all.

My longest relationship of two years I am still actually good friends with (and we ended around 8 years ago). She's just moved to London so we'll be hanging out a fair bit. There's no real attraction there any more, but we still get on as if best pals.

To clarify, she has stayed at my place, in my bed, several times over the years and nothing has happened as we're just past that now.